Discover How to Solve Complex Numbers with Ease

So the four roots are 1, -1, 2i, and -2i.In summary, the complex numbers in this conversation were being used to solve for x in equations with varying degrees. The quadratic formula was used to find the complex solutions for some equations, while others were solved using methods such as completing the square, synthetic division, and factoring.
cmantzioros
Complex numbers ... help needed!

In our exercises we are told to solve for x (element of a complex number)
1. x^2 - 6x + 25=0
The answer is x=3+4i or x=3-4i
Can anyone tell me how these answers were derived??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cmantzioros said:
Can anyone tell me how these answers were derived??[/B]

Are you familiar with the quadratic formula?

Yes, I may be able to get the answer using the quad. formula for this one but what about if I had:

x^4+3x^2-4=0

or

x^2+ix+6=0

can't you just use the quadratic equation?

edit:

whoops i was too slow.

andrewchang said:
can't you just use the quadratic equation?

edit:

whoops i was too slow.

Quad. form. can only be used when the x-term is of degree 2 ... any idea on how to solve for x in the above eqns?

is it possible to write it into polar complex form and solve the equation?

andrewchang said:
is it possible to write it into polar complex form and solve the equation?

We haven't covered this topic yet so I'm not quite sure how you would use it

You could always complete the square, and set that equal to -16.

x^2 - 6x + 9 + (25-9) = 0

x^2 - 6x + 9 = -16

can you take it from there?

quadratic formula does basically the same thing, and you can skip half a dozen steps if you remember it..

Last edited:
cmantzioros said:
Yes, I may be able to get the answer using the quad. formula for this one but what about if I had:
x^4+3x^2-4=0
or
x^2+ix+6=0
Those are both quite doable with the quadratic formula:
[tex]x^4+3x^2-4=\left(x^2\right)^2+3 \left(x^2\right) + 3[/tex]
so
[tex]x^2= \frac{-3 \pm \sqrt{3^2-4(1)(3)}}{2}[/tex]
and
[tex]x^2+ix+6[/tex]
is no problem:
[tex]x=\frac{-i \pm \sqrt{i^2-4(1)(6)}}{2}[/tex]

Hammie said:
You could always complete the square, and set that equal to -16.

x^2 - 6x + 9 + (25-9) = 0

x^2 - 6x + 9 = -16

can you take it from there?

quadratic formula does basically the same thing, and you can skip half a dozen steps if you remember it..

Thanks that does work ... any ideas on the other ones?

NateTG said:
Those are both quite doable with the quadratic formula:
[tex]x^4+3x^2-4=\left(x^2\right)^2+3 \left(x^2\right) + 3[/tex]
so
[tex]x^2= \frac{-3 \pm \sqrt{3^2-4(1)(3)}}{2}[/tex]
and
[tex]x^2+ix+6[/tex]
is no problem:
[tex]x=\frac{-i \pm \sqrt{i^2-4(1)(6)}}{2}[/tex]

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it. :smile:

x^4 + 3x^2 - 4 = 0 factors into two "pieces". One has a complex solution, the other does not.

Note: there are four roots to the equation. You should have two complex, and two real solutions.

Last edited:
Hammie said:
x^4 + 3x^2 - 4 = 0 factors into two "pieces". One has a complex solution, the other does not.

Note: there are four roots to the equation. You should have two complex, and two real solutions.
In this case the quadratic formula works, but for other high polynomial funtions you're probably better off with synthetic devision, factoring, and the like. For instance:

(1)^4 + 3(1)^2 - 4 = 0
So:
x^4 + 3x^2 - 4 = (x-1)(x^3 + x^2 + 4x + 4) = 0
(-1)^3 + (-1)^2 + 4(-1) + 4 = 0
So:
(x-1)(x+1)(x^2 + 4) = 0

Real roots are 1 and -1
Complex roots are +2i and -2i

FAQ: Discover How to Solve Complex Numbers with Ease

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that is composed of both a real part and an imaginary part. It is typically written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part with i being the square root of -1. Complex numbers are used to represent quantities that cannot be expressed with just real numbers, such as the square root of a negative number.

2. How do you add and subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, you simply combine the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, (4 + 2i) + (3 + 5i) = (4 + 3) + (2i + 5i) = 7 + 7i. Similarly, (4 + 2i) - (3 + 5i) = (4 - 3) + (2i - 5i) = 1 - 3i.

3. Can complex numbers be multiplied and divided?

Yes, complex numbers can be multiplied and divided using the same rules as polynomials. To multiply complex numbers, you multiply the real parts and the imaginary parts separately and then combine them. For division, you use the conjugate of the denominator to rationalize the expression. For example, (3 + 2i) * (5 + 4i) = (3 * 5) + (3 * 4i) + (2i * 5) + (2i * 4i) = 15 + 6i + 10i + 8i^2 = 15 + 16i - 8 = 7 + 16i. And (3 + 2i) / (5 + 4i) = ((3 + 2i) * (5 - 4i)) / ((5 + 4i) * (5 - 4i)) = (15 - 12i + 10i - 8i^2) / (25 - 16i^2) = (7 - 2i) / 41.

4. How are complex numbers used in real life?

Complex numbers are used in many real-life applications, particularly in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. They are used to represent and analyze alternating current circuits, quantum mechanics, and many other physical phenomena. They are also used in signal processing, control systems, and computer graphics.

5. Is it possible to graph complex numbers?

Yes, complex numbers can be graphed on a coordinate plane called the complex plane. The horizontal axis represents the real numbers and the vertical axis represents the imaginary numbers. A complex number a + bi can be graphed as a point (a, b) on the complex plane. This is useful in visualizing operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication of complex numbers.