Equation of motion for interacting fields

In summary, the conversation discusses finding equations of motion for classical, real, scalar fields and using the Euler-Lagrange equation to do so. The Lagrangian given includes an interaction term, which cannot be disregarded. The correct approach is to use the Euler-Lagrange equation on the full Lagrangian, including the interaction term.
>>S/Z<<

Homework Statement

2N classical, real, scalar fields \phi_i (x^{\nu}) \psi_i (x^{\nu}) ,where i=1,...,N

I have to find the equations of motions for \phi_i (x^{\nu}) \psi_i (x^{\nu})

Lagrange density is given by

L= \sum_{i=1}^N (\frac{1}{2}(\partial_{\mu} \phi_i \partial^{\mu} \phi_i+\partial_{\mu} \psi_i \partial^{\mu} \psi_i-m^2(\phi_i \phi_i + \psi_i \psi_i) - \lambda \phi_i \psi_i))

Homework Equations

Euler-Lagrange equation

\partial_{\mu} \frac{\partial L}{\partial (\partial_{\mu} \phi_i)} - \frac{\partial L_0}{\partial \phi_i} = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem for me is the interaction term? Can I just put in the Euler-Lagrange equation as well, or what do I do with it? I found some equations by disregarding the interaction term

\partial_{\mu} \partial^{\mu} \phi_i + m^2 \phi_i = 0
\partial_{\mu} \partial^{\mu} \psi_i + m^2 \psi_i = 0

Is this right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's easier to read the math if you actually wrap it in [tex ] and [ /tex] tags :wink: I've done that in the quote below for everyone's reference:
>>S/Z<< said:

Homework Statement

2N classical, real, scalar fields [itex]\phi_i (x^{\nu})[/itex], [itex]\psi_i (x^{\nu})[/itex], where i=1,...,N

I have to find the equations of motions for [itex]\phi_i (x^{\nu})[/itex], [itex]\psi_i (x^{\nu})[/itex]

Lagrange density is given by

[tex]L= \sum_{i=1}^N (\frac{1}{2}(\partial_{mu} \phi_i \partial^{\mu} \phi_i+\partial_{mu} \psi_i \partial^{\mu} \psi_i-m^2(\phi_i \phi_i + \psi_i \psi_i) - \lambda \phi_i \psi_i))[/tex]

Homework Equations

Euler-Lagrange equation

[tex]\partial_{\mu} \frac{\partial L}{\partial (\partial_{\mu} \phi_i)} - \frac{\partial L_0}{\partial \phi_i} = 0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem for me is the interaction term? Can I just put in the Euler-Lagrange equation as well, or what do I do with it? I found some equations by disregarding the interaction term

[tex]\partial_{mu} \partial^{\mu} \phi_i + m^2 \phi_i = 0[/tex]
[tex]\partial_{mu} \partial^{\mu} \psi_i + m^2 \psi_i = 0[/tex]

Is this right?
You may recognize the equations you found as the Klein-Gordon equation which governs the evolution of a free scalar field. So it is exactly what you'd expect to find if you discard the interaction term, i.e. pretend that the fields do not interact. But it's not the answer you need. You can't just disregard that term and pretend that it doesn't change anything.

Just include the interaction term in the Lagrangian, as you do with the other terms.

diazona said:
It's easier to read the math if you actually wrap it in [tex ] and [ /tex] tags :wink: I've done that in the quote below for everyone's reference:

Sorry about that! My first post so not familiar with it all yet

diazona said:
You may recognize the equations you found as the Klein-Gordon equation which governs the evolution of a free scalar field. So it is exactly what you'd expect to find if you discard the interaction term, i.e. pretend that the fields do not interact. But it's not the answer you need. You can't just disregard that term and pretend that it doesn't change anything.

Just include the interaction term in the Lagrangian, as you do with the other terms.

Okay so just use the Euler-Lagrange equation on the full Lagrange.

Thanks for the reply:)!

1. What is the equation of motion for interacting fields?

The equation of motion for interacting fields is a mathematical equation used to describe the behavior of fields that interact with each other. It is a fundamental equation in quantum field theory and is derived from the principles of relativity and quantum mechanics.

2. How is the equation of motion for interacting fields different from other equations of motion?

The equation of motion for interacting fields is different from other equations of motion because it takes into account the interactions between different fields, rather than just describing the motion of a single field. It also incorporates the principles of quantum mechanics, which govern the behavior of particles at a subatomic level.

3. What types of fields can be described using the equation of motion for interacting fields?

The equation of motion for interacting fields can be used to describe a wide range of fields, including electromagnetic fields, gravitational fields, and quantum fields such as the Higgs field. It is a versatile equation that can be applied to many different physical systems.

4. How is the equation of motion for interacting fields used in scientific research?

The equation of motion for interacting fields is a crucial tool in theoretical physics and is used in a wide range of research areas, including quantum mechanics, particle physics, and cosmology. It allows scientists to make predictions about the behavior of fields and their interactions, which can then be tested through experiments.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges associated with using the equation of motion for interacting fields?

Like any mathematical model, the equation of motion for interacting fields has its limitations and challenges. It is a complex equation that can be difficult to solve in certain cases, and it may not accurately describe the behavior of fields at extreme energy levels or in certain physical conditions. Additionally, it does not take into account the effects of gravity, which is another fundamental force in the universe.