A simple proof I'm having issues with

In summary, the conversation discussed how to prove that P(X > j + k | X > k) = P(X > j) if X follows a geometric distribution. The proof involves utilizing the definition of conditional probability and set theory.
Ant64
Hi all,

The question is: Given that X follows a geometric distribution, prove that

P(X>j+k | X>k) = P(X>j).

So this is all I have:

P(X>k+j) = (1-p)^k+j, (a proof covered in the text)
= (1-p)^k • (1-p)^j,
No, what I want to say is,

since P(X>k) = (1-p)^k = 1,
then P(X>k+j) = 1 • (1-p)^j,
= P(x>j).
But I don't know if I'm allowed to separate the expression (1-p)^k • (1-p)^j into separate probabilities... Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
since P(X>k) = (1-p)^k = 1,

That isn't true.

The definition of conditional probability tells you that

[tex] P( X > j + k | X > k) = \frac{ P( (X > j + k) \cap (X > k) )} {P(X > k)} [/tex]

Set theory tells you that [itex] (X > j + k) \cap (X > k) = (X > j + k) [/itex]

Okay, thanks a ton. I can take it from there!

What is the concept of a simple proof?

A simple proof is a logical argument or demonstration that provides evidence to support a statement or theorem. It is often used in mathematics and other scientific fields to verify the validity of a claim.

Why is a simple proof important?

A simple proof is important because it allows for the validation of scientific theories and concepts. It provides a clear and concise explanation for why something is true, which can help other scientists to understand and build upon that knowledge.

What are the steps involved in creating a simple proof?

The steps involved in creating a simple proof may vary depending on the specific problem or concept being proven. However, common steps include identifying the statement to be proven, breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts, and using logical reasoning to connect those parts and reach a conclusion.

What are some common challenges in creating a simple proof?

Some common challenges in creating a simple proof include identifying the correct approach or strategy to use, finding a starting point or key insight, and avoiding logical fallacies or errors in reasoning. It may also be challenging to communicate the proof clearly and concisely.

How can I improve my skills in creating simple proofs?

Practicing regularly and seeking feedback from others can help improve your skills in creating simple proofs. It can also be helpful to study and analyze proofs created by others, as well as to familiarize yourself with different proof techniques and strategies. Additionally, developing strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills can aid in creating simple proofs.