Linear Differential Equation of Second Order

In summary, the given equation mx'' + cx' + kx = 0 with m = 2, c = 12, k = 50, x0 = 0, x'(0) = -8 can be simplified to x'' + 6x' + 25x = 0. By using the characteristic equation and quadratic formula, the roots are found to be r = -3 ± 4i. Therefore, the general solution is x(t) = e-3t(c1cos(4t) + c2sin(4t)). Solving for the unknown constants results in x(t) = 2e^{-3t} (\cos (4t - \frac{3\pi
SHISHKABOB

Homework Statement

I have the equation mx'' + cx' + kx = 0

where m = 2, c = 12, k = 50, x0 = 0, x'(0) = -8. x is a function of t, and primes denote derivatives w.r.t. t.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so the equation is 2x'' + 12x' + 50x = 0, which I simplify to x'' + 6x' + 25x = 0.

Characteristic equation is r2 + 6r + 25 = 0

using the quadratic formula, I find roots r = -3 ± 4i

therefore the general solution is x(t) = e-3t(c1cos(4t) + c2sin(4t))

I then solve for the unknown constants, c1 and c2:

x(0) = 0 = c1

so x(t) = e-3t(c2sin(4t))

x'(t) = -3e-3t(c2sin(4t) + e-3t(4c2cos(4t))

x'(0) = -8 = 4c2

so c2 = -2

∴ x(t) = e-3t(-2sin(4t))

but... the back of the book gives

x(t) = 2e-3tcos(4t - 3[itex]\pi[/itex]/2)

as the answer...

so I must be doing something horribly wrong, but I have no idea what :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
oh whoops, I just realized that, for the set of problems that I'm working on, it asks me to write the function in the form

C1e-ptcos(ω1t - [itex]\alpha[/itex]1)

so I guess it's just a matter of converting it

SHISHKABOB said:
oh whoops, I just realized that, for the set of problems that I'm working on, it asks me to write the function in the form

C1e-ptcos(ω1t - [itex]\alpha[/itex]1)

so I guess it's just a matter of converting it

You're correct. :smile:

[tex]x(t)=e^{-3t} (-2\sin 4t)=-2e^{-3t} (\sin 4t)[/tex]
Now, you try to obtain the above from the given answer, to check for equivalence:
[tex]x(t)=2e^{-3t} (\cos (4t - \frac{3\pi}{2}))[/tex]
Comparing the two answers above, what you need is to prove that:
[tex]\cos (4t - \frac{3\pi}{2})=-\sin 4t[/tex]
Use the cosine subtraction formula:
[tex]\cos (4t - \frac{3\pi}{2})=(\cos 4t)(\cos \frac{3\pi}{2})+ (\sin 4t)(\sin \frac{3\pi}{2})=-\sin 4t[/tex]Proved!

1. What is a linear differential equation of second order?

A linear differential equation of second order is an equation that relates the second derivative of a function to the function itself and its first derivative. It can be written in the form of a2(x)y'' + a1(x)y' + a0(x)y = f(x), where a2(x), a1(x), and a0(x) are functions of x and f(x) is a known function.

2. What is the difference between a linear and a non-linear differential equation of second order?

The main difference between a linear and a non-linear differential equation of second order is that a linear equation has a linear relationship between the function and its derivatives, while a non-linear equation has a non-linear relationship. This means that the coefficients of the derivatives in a linear equation are constants, while in a non-linear equation, they can be functions of x.

3. How do you solve a linear differential equation of second order?

To solve a linear differential equation of second order, you can use the method of undetermined coefficients or the method of variation of parameters. The method of undetermined coefficients is used when the non-homogeneous term f(x) is a known function, while the method of variation of parameters is used when f(x) is an unknown function.

4. What is the general solution of a linear differential equation of second order?

The general solution of a linear differential equation of second order is a function that satisfies the given equation. It can be written in the form of y(x) = c1y1(x) + c2y2(x), where c1 and c2 are arbitrary constants and y1(x) and y2(x) are two linearly independent solutions of the given equation.

5. Can a linear differential equation of second order have complex solutions?

Yes, a linear differential equation of second order can have complex solutions. This is because the coefficients of the derivatives in the equation can be complex numbers, and the solutions of the equation are determined by the roots of the characteristic equation, which can be complex. In this case, the general solution will also include complex terms.