Integration involving continuous random variable

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with a homework question and asking for their working to be checked. The expert suggests a correct approach and provides a summary of the equations used to solve the problem. The conversation ends with the expert pointing out a possible mistake in the simultaneous equations and suggesting the person take a closer look.
somecelxis

Homework Statement

please refer to the question, i can't figure out which part i did wrongly. i 'd been looking at this repeatedly , yet i can't find my mistake. thanks for the help! the correct ans is below the question. where the c= 283/5700 , q = 179/5700

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• IMG_20140821_135154[1].jpg
    IMG_20140821_135154[1].jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_20140821_135100[1].jpg
    IMG_20140821_135100[1].jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 384
Physics news on Phys.org
OK = your strategy was to put $$\int_3^5k(v)\; dv = 33/50 \qquad \int_0^6 k(v)\;dv=1$$ and solve the simultaneous equations.

This is the correct approach - either the model answer is wrong or you made a mistake in your arithmetic.

Simon Bridge said:
OK = your strategy was to put $$\int_3^5k(v)\; dv = 33/50 \qquad \int_0^6 k(v)\;dv=1$$ and solve the simultaneous equations.

This is the correct approach - either the model answer is wrong or you made a mistake in your arithmetic.

can you please check my working? i looked at it continuously but still couldn't trace my mistake.

You have: $$k(v)=\begin{cases} cv+q &: 0\leq v<5 \\ qv+c &: 5\leq v< 6\end{cases}$$ $$p(3\leq v < 5)=\frac{23}{50}$$ You need to find q and c.

$$p(3\leq v < 5)=\int_3^5 (cv+q)\;dv = \frac{25}{2}c +5q - \frac{9}{2}c-3q =8c+2q =\frac{23}{50}\\ \qquad \implies 400c + 100q = 23 \qquad \text{... (1)}$$

$$p(0\leq v <6)=\int_0^5 (cv+q)\;dv + \int_5^6 (qv+c)\;dv\\
\qquad = \frac{25}{2}c + 5q + \left[\frac{36}{2}q + 6c - \frac{25}{2}q - 5c \right] \\
\qquad = \frac{25+12-10}{2}c+\frac{10+36-25}{2}q = \frac{27}{2}c+\frac{21}{2}q =1\\
\qquad \implies 27c+21q=2 \qquad \text{... (2)}$$

... I'm getting the same as you up to here.
From here I get the same as the model answers ... so take a closer look at the simultaneous equations.
What is (23/50)x10.5 =?

Last edited:
Likes 1 person

What is a continuous random variable?

A continuous random variable is a type of variable that can take on any numerical value within a certain range. Unlike discrete random variables, which can only take on specific values, continuous random variables can take on any value within a range of values. Examples of continuous random variables include temperature, weight, and time.

What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve. It is often used to solve problems involving continuous random variables, as it allows us to calculate probabilities and expected values.

Why is integration important in statistics?

Integration is important in statistics because it allows us to solve problems involving continuous random variables, which are commonly used to model real-world phenomena. By using integration, we can calculate probabilities and expected values, which are essential for making statistical inferences.

What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, meaning that it calculates the area under the curve within a specific range. An indefinite integral does not have specific limits and instead gives the general form of the integral. In the context of integration involving continuous random variables, definite integrals are used to calculate probabilities and expected values, while indefinite integrals are used to find probability density functions.

Can integration be used to solve problems involving discrete random variables?

No, integration is only applicable to continuous random variables. Discrete random variables can be solved using other methods, such as probability mass functions and cumulative distribution functions.