Recommend a good Linear algebra text.

In summary, the best book for learning Linear Algebra will depend on your personal learning style and level of mathematical background. A good Linear Algebra text should cover topics such as vector spaces, matrices, linear transformations, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and applications in various fields. While a strong foundation in basic algebra and calculus is helpful, many texts are designed for students with minimal mathematical background. Online resources, such as lectures, practice problems, and study groups, can supplement a Linear Algebra text. To make the most out of using a Linear Algebra text, it is important to actively engage with the material and regularly review concepts.
Disowned
I would like to study this subject on my own before taking it at my college so I can be "up to speed" on day one. What text do you recommend?

Physics news on Phys.org
i have written two of them, on my webpage,

rev.lin.alg, and notes for math 4050:

http://www.math.uga.edu/~roy/

these are free. if you want to buy one, one of the best is by hoffman and kunze.

Linear Algebra
Hoffman, Kenneth; Kunze, Ray

[30 Day Returns Policy]
Bookseller:
Doreen Hansen
(Missoula, MT, U.S.A.)
Bookseller Rating: Book Price:
US$ 12.50

1. What is the best book for learning Linear Algebra?

The best book for learning Linear Algebra will depend on your personal learning style and level of mathematical background. Some popular options include "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler, "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang, and "Linear Algebra and Its Applications" by David Lay.

2. What are the key topics that should be covered in a good Linear Algebra text?

A good Linear Algebra text should cover topics such as vector spaces, matrices, linear transformations, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and applications of linear algebra in fields such as engineering, computer science, and physics.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math to understand Linear Algebra?

While a strong foundation in basic algebra and calculus is helpful, many Linear Algebra texts are designed for students with minimal mathematical background. It is important to choose a text that matches your current level of knowledge and provides clear explanations and examples.

4. Are there any online resources that can supplement a Linear Algebra text?

Yes, there are many online resources available to supplement a Linear Algebra text. Some popular options include online lectures on platforms like YouTube or Khan Academy, practice problems and quizzes on websites like Mathisfun.com or Khan Academy, and online forums or study groups for students to discuss and ask questions.

5. How can I make the most out of using a Linear Algebra text?

To make the most out of using a Linear Algebra text, it is important to actively engage with the material. This can include taking notes, working through practice problems, and seeking out additional resources or explanations when needed. It is also helpful to set aside dedicated study time and to regularly review concepts to reinforce understanding.