Cheap vacation offers by phone?

• Thread starter NeoDevin
  • Start date
In summary, a person received a phone call from a discount vacation company offering a cheap stay in various locations. The deal includes 11+ days/nights in ocean front resorts/cruises for $249/person, but the catch is attending a 90 minute sales presentation/tour and there are only 50 packages available for their region. There are concerns about the legitimacy of the offer and the pressure tactics used during the sales pitch.
NeoDevin
I got a phone call from a http://www.discountworldvacations.com/" offering me a cheap stay in Orlando/Bahamas/Mexico. $249/person sounds for 11+ days/nights in ocean front resorts/cruises sounds too good to be true. They say the only catches are that I have to attend a 90 minute sales presentation/tour while I'm there, and that there are only 50 packages available for my region. This was supposedly in response to a draw I entered at a recent trade show near here.

I've heard lots of people assume that these things are a scam, but don't know anyone who's ever actually taken up a similar offer. Does anyone have first hand, or even second hand information on dealing with a company like this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
NeoDevin said:
They say the only catches are that I have to attend a 90 minute sales presentation/tour while I'm there, and that there are only 50 packages available for my region.
We've been on more than one. The 90 minute sales pitch used to be a minor annoyance. However, in recent years they have highjacked me for several hours of high pressure sales pitches and we have stopped going. What do you care if there really are 50 packages available for your region or not?

jimmysnyder said:
What do you care if there really are 50 packages available for your region or not?

I don't, that's their hook to try to get me to agree right then and there, rather than taking time to think it over: "Get it before it's gone".

Related to Cheap vacation offers by phone?

1. What are some common scams related to cheap vacation offers by phone?

There are a few common scams related to cheap vacation offers by phone. One is the "free" vacation offer that requires you to pay hidden fees or attend a timeshare presentation. Another is the "too good to be true" offer that promises luxurious accommodations at an extremely low price, only to turn out to be a subpar location. It's important to do thorough research and read reviews before booking any vacation offers by phone.

2. How can I verify the legitimacy of a cheap vacation offer by phone?

To verify the legitimacy of a cheap vacation offer by phone, ask for written confirmation of the offer and research the company or travel agency offering the deal. You can also check with the Better Business Bureau to see if any complaints have been filed against the company. Be wary of any offers that require immediate payment or pressure you to make a decision on the spot.

3. Are there any red flags to look out for when receiving a cheap vacation offer by phone?

Yes, there are several red flags to look out for when receiving a cheap vacation offer by phone. These include being asked to provide personal information or credit card details over the phone, being pressured to make a decision quickly, and being promised an unusually low price or a "free" vacation. It's important to be cautious and trust your instincts when receiving these types of offers.

4. How can I protect myself from falling for a cheap vacation offer by phone scam?

To protect yourself from falling for a cheap vacation offer by phone scam, it's important to do thorough research on the company or travel agency offering the deal. Read reviews, ask for written confirmation of the offer, and be cautious of any requests for personal information or immediate payment. If the offer seems too good to be true, it probably is.

5. Are there any reputable travel agencies or companies that offer cheap vacation deals by phone?

Yes, there are reputable travel agencies and companies that offer cheap vacation deals by phone. However, it's important to do your due diligence and research the company before booking any offers. Look for well-known and established travel agencies, and read reviews from previous customers to ensure a positive experience. It's always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to booking a vacation by phone.