How to prove the uniqueness theorem in an unbounded domain?

In summary, the uniqueness theorem still holds in the method of mirror image, but a proof is possible in an exterior domain assuming that E=O\left( {\frac{1}{{{r^2}}}} \right)(r \to \infty )
netheril96
I read a lot of books on the uniqueness theorem of Poisson equation,but all of them are confined to a bounded domain [tex]\Omega[/tex] ,i.e.
"Dirichlet boundary condition: [tex]\varphi[/tex] is well defined at all of the boundary surfaces.
Neumann boundary condition: [tex]\nabla\varphi[/tex]is well defined at all of the boundary surfaces.
Mixed boundary conditions (a combination of Dirichlet, Neumann, and modified Neumann boundary conditions): the uniqueness theorem will still hold.
"

However,in the method of mirror image,the domain is usually unbounded.For instance,consider the electric field induced by a point charge with a infinely large grounded conductor plate.In all of the textbooks,it is stated that "because of the uniqueness theorem...",but NO book has ever proved it in such a domain!

Some may say that we can regard the infinity as a special surface,but we CAN'T since this "surface" has a infinite area.I tried to prove it using the same way as that in a bounded domain,i.e. with the electric potential known in a bounded surface and [tex]\varphi \to 0{\rm{ }}(r \to \infty )[/tex],
I ended up with[tex]\int_S {\phi \frac{{\partial \phi }}{{\partial n}}} dS = {\int_V {\left( {\nabla \phi } \right)} ^2}dV[/tex]in which [tex]\phi[/tex] is the difference between two possible solution of the electric potential.

Let S be the surface of an infinite sphere,we have
[tex]4\pi \int_{r \to \infty } {{r^2}\phi \frac{{\partial \phi }}{{\partial r}}} dr = {\int_V {\left( {\nabla \phi } \right)} ^2}dV[/tex]
We have[tex]\phi \to 0(r \to \infty )[/tex],but it doesn't indicate [tex]{r^2}\phi \frac{{\partial \phi }}{{\partial r}} \to 0(r \to \infty )[/tex] So we can't conclude that [tex]\nabla \phi \equiv 0[/tex] so that the uniqueness theorem doesn't hold (or we cannot prove it with the same way proving uniqueness theorem in a bounded domain)
Or can anybody here prove that [tex]{r^2}\frac{{\partial \phi }}{{\partial r}}[/tex] is bounded?

Physics news on Phys.org
netheril96 said:
I read a lot of books on the uniqueness theorem of Poisson equation,but all of them are confined to a bounded domain [tex]\Omega[/tex] ,i.e.
"Dirichlet boundary condition: [tex]\varphi[/tex] is well defined at all of the boundary surfaces.
Neumann boundary condition: [tex]\nabla\varphi[/tex]is well defined at all of the boundary surfaces.
Mixed boundary conditions (a combination of Dirichlet, Neumann, and modified Neumann boundary conditions): the uniqueness theorem will still hold.
"

However,in the method of mirror image,the domain is usually unbounded.For instance,consider the electric field induced by a point charge with a infinely large grounded conductor plate.In all of the textbooks,it is stated that "because of the uniqueness theorem...",but NO book has ever proved it in such a domain!

Some may say that we can regard the infinity as a special surface,but we CAN'T since this "surface" has a infinite area.I tried to prove it using the same way as that in a bounded domain,i.e. with the electric potential known in a bounded surface and [tex]\varphi \to 0{\rm{ }}(r \to \infty )[/tex],
I ended up with[tex]\int_S {\phi \frac{{\partial \phi }}{{\partial n}}} dS = {\int_V {\left( {\nabla \phi } \right)} ^2}dV[/tex]in which [tex]\phi[/tex] is the difference between two possible solution of the electric potential.

Let S be the surface of an infinite sphere,we have
[tex]4\pi \int_{r \to \infty } {{r^2}\phi \frac{{\partial \phi }}{{\partial r}}} dr = {\int_V {\left( {\nabla \phi } \right)} ^2}dV[/tex]
We have[tex]\phi \to 0(r \to \infty )[/tex],but it doesn't indicate [tex]{r^2}\phi \frac{{\partial \phi }}{{\partial r}} \to 0(r \to \infty )[/tex] So we can't conclude that [tex]\nabla \phi \equiv 0[/tex] so that the uniqueness theorem doesn't hold (or we cannot prove it with the same way proving uniqueness theorem in a bounded domain)
Or can anybody here prove that [tex]{r^2}\frac{{\partial \phi }}{{\partial r}}[/tex] is bounded?
Maybe these notes can help (See chapter 4. There are a lot of orthographic errors. Replace "Poison" by "Poisson" and so on) http://www.famaf.unc.edu.ar/~reula/Docencia/Electromagnetismo/part1.pdf
In case it doesn't help, let us know.

fluidistic said:
Maybe these notes can help (See chapter 4. There are a lot of orthographic errors. Replace "Poison" by "Poisson" and so on) http://www.famaf.unc.edu.ar/~reula/Docencia/Electromagnetismo/part1.pdf
In case it doesn't help, let us know.

I do find a "proof" of uniqueness theorem in an exterior domain,but it just assumes that [tex]E = O\left( {\frac{1}{{{r^2}}}} \right)(r \to \infty )[/tex] which is the same as what I want to prove,that is [tex]{r^2}\frac{{\partial \phi }}{{\partial r}} = O\left( 1 \right)(r \to \infty )[/tex]

An 'infinite domain' means a bounding surface of radius R in the limit as R-->infty.
Just like any other surface, any BC that makes the surface integral go to zero is a suitable BC for uniqueness. You can't 'prove' your last equation because that is one of the possible BCs.

Meir Achuz said:
An 'infinite domain' means a bounding surface of radius R in the limit as R-->infty.
Just like any other surface, any BC that makes the surface integral go to zero is a suitable BC for uniqueness. You can't 'prove' your last equation because that is one of the possible BCs.

But when do this kind of boundary condition hold?
For instance,how do you know that the electric field induced by a point charge with a infinitely large grounded plate satisfies the boundary condition of [tex]{r^2}\frac{{\partial \phi }}{{\partial r}} = O(1)(r \to \infty )[/tex]?

You don't 'know' it. That BC does not hold for an accelerating charge.
Imposing that BC gives the static solution.
For your infinite plane case, the total charge is zero so that BC does hold.

Meir Achuz said:
You don't 'know' it. That BC does not hold for an accelerating charge.
Imposing that BC gives the static solution.
For your infinite plane case, the total charge is zero so that BC does hold.

I don't think it is obvious that the total charge being zero makes that BC hold.You should give me a derivation.

Just use Gauss's law.

clem said:
Just use Gauss's law.

You are right!

But I found a glitch in my previous "demonstration"
It should have been
[tex]{\int_V {\left| {\nabla \phi } \right|} ^2}dV = \int_S {\phi \nabla \phi \cdot d{\bf{S}}} = \int_{0 \le \theta \le \pi ,0 \le \varphi < 2\pi } {{r^2}\phi \frac{{\partial \phi }}{{\partial r}}} d\theta d\varphi [/tex]

So here we cannot separate the two variables[tex]\phi [/tex]and[tex]{{r^2}\frac{{\partial \phi }}{{\partial r}}}[/tex] into two integrals

How to go on with it then?(We still have [tex]\phi \to 0\left( {r \to \infty } \right)[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is the uniqueness theorem in an unbounded domain?

The uniqueness theorem in an unbounded domain is a mathematical principle that states that a solution to a certain type of problem in an unbounded space is unique. This means that there can only be one solution to the problem that satisfies all of the given conditions.

2. How is the uniqueness theorem applied in scientific research?

The uniqueness theorem is commonly used in various scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is often applied in the analysis and study of physical phenomena, such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and heat transfer, to prove the existence of unique solutions.

3. What is the process for proving the uniqueness theorem in an unbounded domain?

The process for proving the uniqueness theorem in an unbounded domain involves constructing a rigorous mathematical proof based on the given conditions and applying various mathematical techniques, such as boundary value problems and integral equations, to demonstrate the uniqueness of the solution.

4. What are the main challenges in proving the uniqueness theorem in an unbounded domain?

One of the main challenges in proving the uniqueness theorem in an unbounded domain is dealing with unbounded spaces, which can be more complex and difficult to analyze compared to bounded spaces. Additionally, the conditions and assumptions of the problem must be carefully considered to ensure that they are consistent and sufficient for the uniqueness of the solution.

5. Are there any limitations to the uniqueness theorem in an unbounded domain?

While the uniqueness theorem is a powerful and widely applicable principle, there are certain limitations to its use in unbounded domains. One limitation is that it may not hold for certain types of problems or under certain conditions. Additionally, it may be difficult to prove the uniqueness of the solution in some cases, leading to the need for alternative approaches.