Lorentz Transformations in general

In summary, the Lorentz transformation between two inertial frames with a boost along the x-axis, y-axis, and z-axis is given by the respective transformation matrices L(\beta \hat{x}), L(\beta \hat{y}), and L(\beta \hat{z}). A general transformation between two sets of coordinates is given by \tilde{x}^\mu = \Lambda^\mu_\nu x^{\nu}, where \Lambda is the Lorentz transformation between the frames. This transformation can be derived by recognizing that Ltt is a scalar under a spatial rotation, Lti and Lit are vectors under rotation, and the space-space part Lij is a symmetric tensor.
Leonhard
Hi, I've been breaking my head on the matrix form of the lorentz transformation between one set of coordinates in one inertial frame [itex](t,x^1,x^2,x^3)[/itex] and what those coordinates will be in another inertial frame [itex](t',x'^2,x'^2,x'^3)[/itex].

Now I understand that if have a set of coordinates in one inertial frame, and we then those coordinates in an inertial frame with a boost along the x-axis, the transformation matrix between those two coordinates will be

[tex]L(\beta \hat{x}) = \left ( \begin{matrix} \gamma & -\beta\gamma & 0 & 0 \\ -\beta\gamma & \gamma & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 1 \end{matrix} \right )[/tex]

A boost along the y-axis and z-axis are given by

[tex]L(\beta \hat{y}) = \left ( \begin{matrix} \gamma & 0 & -\beta\gamma & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\ -\beta\gamma & 0 & \gamma & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 1 \end{matrix} \right )[/tex]

and

[tex]L(\beta \hat{z}) = \left ( \begin{matrix} \gamma & 0 & 0 & -\beta\gamma \\ 0 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\ -\beta\gamma & 0 & 0 & \gamma \end{matrix} \right )[/tex]

Now I understand that, in general, a transformation from one set of coordinates to another is given by

[tex]\tilde{x}^\mu = \Lambda^\mu_\nu x^{\nu}[/tex]

Where [itex]\Lambda[/itex] is the lorentz transformation between the two frames of references, but I'm not sure how to derive it. I've been told that a general boost [itex](\beta_x, \beta_y, \beta_z)[/itex] is given by

[tex]L(\beta_x \hat{x} + \beta_y \hat{y} + \beta_z \hat{z}) = \left ( \begin{matrix} \gamma & -\beta_x\gamma & -\beta_y\gamma & -\beta_z\gamma \\ -\beta_x\gamma & 1 + (\gamma - 1)\frac{\beta^2_x}{\beta^2} & (\gamma - 1) \frac{\beta_x\beta_y}{\beta^2} & (\gamma -1)\frac{\beta_x \beta_z}{\beta^2} \\ -\beta_y\gamma & (\gamma - 1)\frac{\beta_y}{\beta_x} & 1 + (\gamma - 1)\frac{\beta^2_y}{\beta^2} & (\gamma - 1)\frac{\beta_y\beta_z}{\beta^2} \\ -\beta_z\gamma & (\gamma - 1)\frac{\beta_z\beta_x}{\beta^2} & (\gamma - 1)\frac{\beta_z\beta_y}{\beta^2} & 1 + (\gamma - 1)\frac{\beta^2_z}{\beta^2} \end{matrix} \right )[/tex]

Is it simple derived by multiplying the transformation matrices?

[tex]L(\beta_x \hat{x} + \beta_y \hat{y} + \beta_z \hat{z}) = L(\beta_x \hat{x})L(\beta_y \hat{y})L(\beta_z \hat{z})[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Leonhard, You're going to shoot me, but it's obvious by inspection! :smile:

You have the transformations along the three axes. Just use the fact that Ltt is a scalar under a spatial rotation, Lti and Lit are vectors under rotation, and the space-space part Lij is a symmetric tensor. All you have to do is think of two vectors and a tensor that match the cases you are given. This will uniquely determine the solution.

Let β = (βx, βy, βz) = β u where u is a unit vector. Clearly Ltt = γ and both vectors are Lti = - β γ. The only part that takes some thought is the space-space part. It is Lij = I + (γ - 1) u u. Write out the nine components of that tensor in terms of βx, βy and βz, and you have the result.

Related to Lorentz Transformations in general

1. What are Lorentz Transformations?

Lorentz Transformations are mathematical equations used in Einstein's Theory of Special Relativity to describe how measurements of space and time differ between two reference frames that are moving at a constant velocity relative to each other.

2. Why are Lorentz Transformations important?

Lorentz Transformations are important because they allow us to understand and predict how the laws of physics behave in different frames of reference, especially at high speeds. They also play a crucial role in the development of modern technologies, such as GPS, that rely on precise measurements of time and space.

3. How do Lorentz Transformations differ from Galilean Transformations?

Lorentz Transformations take into account the principles of relativity and the constant speed of light, while Galilean Transformations only consider the relative velocities between two frames of reference. Lorentz Transformations are necessary for accurately describing phenomena at high speeds, while Galilean Transformations are sufficient for low speeds.

4. Are Lorentz Transformations reversible?

Yes, Lorentz Transformations are reversible. This means that if you apply a Lorentz Transformation to a set of coordinates to transform them from one reference frame to another, you can also apply the inverse transformation to bring them back to the original frame.

5. Can Lorentz Transformations be applied to all physical systems?

Yes, Lorentz Transformations can be applied to all physical systems that obey the laws of physics, including particles, fields, and waves. They are a fundamental part of Einstein's theory of special relativity and have been extensively tested and confirmed through experiments.