Finding \langle (\Delta N ) ^2 \rangle for |\beta \rangle

• Thread starter indigojoker
  • Start date
In summary: This means that if you know the commutation relations for a^{\dagger} and B, then you can solve for a using the normalization condition: a^{\dagger}=a. In summary, the relation between a^{\dagger} and e^{\alpha a} is that a^{\dagger}=-\alpha e^{\alpha a} and [a^{\dagger},e^{\alpha a}]=\alpha e^{\alpha a^{\dagger}}.
indigojoker
I need to find the number variance [tex]\langle (\Delta N ) ^2 \rangle [/tex] for the state [tex]| \beta \rangle = e^{\alpha a^{\dagger}-\alpha^{*} a}|1 \rangle [/tex]

we know:
[tex]\langle (\Delta N ) ^2 \rangle [/tex]
[tex]\langle a^{\dagger} a a^{\dagger} a \rangle [/tex]
[tex]\langle a^{\dagger} (a^{\dagger}a +1) a \rangle [/tex]
[tex]\langle a^{\dagger} a^{\dagger}a a+a^{\dagger} a \rangle [/tex]
[tex]\langle \beta| a^{\dagger} (a^{\dagger}a +1) a |\beta \rangle [/tex]

I know the relation (since this was derived):
[tex][a^{\dagger},e^{\alpha a}]=-\alpha e^{\alpha a} [/tex]
[tex][a,e^{\alpha a^{\dagger}}]=\alpha e^{\alpha a^{\dagger}} [/tex]

I could expand:
[tex]\langle 1|e^{\alpha a^{\dagger}-\alpha^{*} a} a^{\dagger} (a^{\dagger}a +1) a e^{\alpha a^{\dagger}-\alpha^{*} a}|1 \rangle [/tex]

But I'm not sure how to apply the relation. any ideas would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi indigojoker,

The first thing I would do is translate those commutator statements into something a little more concrete. It would be nice to know how a (or a^+) acts on your state. You might hope for a simple relationship since a annihilates the ground state and has a simple commutator with the operator that creates your state from the ground state.

hmm, I'm not sure what you mean by something more concrete. Do you mean figuring out what:

[tex]a| \beta \rangle = ae^{\alpha a^{\dagger}-\alpha^{*} a}|1 \rangle [/tex]
and
[tex]a^{\dagger}| \beta \rangle = a^{\dagger} e^{\alpha a^{\dagger}-\alpha^{*} a}|1 \rangle [/tex]

is when simplified using:
[tex][a^{\dagger},e^{\alpha a}]=a^{\dagger}e^{\alpha a}-e^{\alpha a} a^{\dagger}=-\alpha e^{\alpha a} [/tex]
[tex][a,e^{\alpha a^{\dagger}}]=a e^{\alpha a^{\dagger}}-e^{\alpha a^{\dagger}}a=\alpha e^{\alpha a^{\dagger}} [/tex]

Yes, that is what I had in mind. Here is a hint: since a annihilates the ground state, one can write [a,B]|ground> = (aB-Ba)|ground> = aB|ground> where B is anything!

What does "Finding \langle (\Delta N ) ^2 \rangle for |\beta \rangle" mean?

Finding \langle (\Delta N ) ^2 \rangle for |\beta \rangle refers to calculating the mean square deviation of the number operator, which measures the expected number of particles in a quantum state |\beta \rangle. This calculation is important in understanding the uncertainty in the number of particles in a given quantum state.

Why is it important to calculate \langle (\Delta N ) ^2 \rangle for |\beta \rangle?

Calculating \langle (\Delta N ) ^2 \rangle for |\beta \rangle allows scientists to determine the level of uncertainty in the number of particles in a given quantum state, which is crucial in many quantum mechanical applications. It also helps in understanding the behavior and properties of quantum systems.

How is \langle (\Delta N ) ^2 \rangle for |\beta \rangle calculated?

The calculation of \langle (\Delta N ) ^2 \rangle for |\beta \rangle involves using the number operator, which is represented by the symbol \hat{N}. This operator is applied to the quantum state |\beta \rangle, and the resulting value is squared. The expectation value of this squared result is then calculated, which gives us \langle (\Delta N ) ^2 \rangle for |\beta \rangle.

What is the difference between \langle (\Delta N ) ^2 \rangle and \langle N \rangle?

\langle N \rangle refers to the average number of particles in a given quantum state, while \langle (\Delta N ) ^2 \rangle represents the square of the deviation from this average value. In other words, \langle N \rangle gives us the expected value, while \langle (\Delta N ) ^2 \rangle measures the uncertainty or spread around this expected value.

How is \langle (\Delta N ) ^2 \rangle related to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa. Similarly, knowing the exact number of particles in a quantum state means there is no uncertainty, and hence \langle (\Delta N ) ^2 \rangle will be zero. On the other hand, if there is a large uncertainty in the number of particles, \langle (\Delta N ) ^2 \rangle will be large, indicating a lack of knowledge about the state of the system.