Lagrangian with a charged, massive vector boson coupled to electromagnetism

In summary, the conversation discusses using hermiticity and electromagnetic gauge invariance to determine constraints on constants. The coefficients are found to be real through hermiticity, but it is unclear how gauge invariance would further constrain them. The discussion also considers local U(1) transformations and the Proca Lagrangian for a massive complex vector field, and suggests using minimal coupling to define a gauge-covariant derivative.
jaded2112
Homework Statement
For this lagrangian, I am trying to find the constraints on the constants##\eta,\kappa, g,\lambda##.
Relevant Equations
$$
\textit{L}=\frac{-1}{4}\rho^\dagger_{\alpha\beta}\rho^{\alpha\beta} - m^2\rho^\dagger_{\alpha}\rho^{\alpha}-ig[(\rho^\dagger_{\alpha\beta}\rho^{\alpha} +\eta\rho_{\alpha\beta}\rho^{\dagger\alpha})A^{\beta}+\kappa\rho^{\dagger}_{\alpha}\rho_{\beta}\textit{F}^{\alpha\beta}+
$$ $$
\frac{\lambda}{m^2}\rho^{\dagger}_{\alpha\beta}\rho^{\beta}_{\sigma}\textit{F}^{\sigma\alpha}]
$$
I need to use hermiticity and electromagnetic gauge invariance to determine the constraints on the constants. Through hermiticity, i found that the coefficients need to be real. However, I am not sure how gauge invariance would come into the picture to give further contraints. I think the ##\rho^{\alpha}## field would go to ##e^{i\theta(x)}\rho^{\alpha}##, and ##\rho_{\alpha\beta} \rightarrow \partial_{\alpha}(e^{i\theta(x)}\rho_{\beta})-\partial_{\beta}(e^{i\theta(x)}\rho_{\alpha})##. So, if we consider the first two terms in the interaction part of the lagrangian, ##-ig(\rho^\dagger_{\alpha\beta}\rho^{\alpha} +\eta\rho_{\alpha\beta}\rho^{\dagger\alpha})A^{\beta}##, and do a local ##U(1)## transformation, we get $$-ig [\rho^{\dagger}_{\alpha\beta}\rho^{\alpha} + \eta\rho_{\alpha\beta}\rho^{\dagger\alpha}+i(\rho^{\dagger}_{\alpha}\rho^{\alpha}-\eta\rho_{\alpha}\rho^{\dagger\alpha})\partial_{\beta}\theta + i\partial_{\alpha}\theta(\eta\rho_{\beta}\rho^{\dagger\alpha}-\rho^{\dagger}_\beta \rho^{\alpha})](A^{\beta}+\partial^{\beta}\theta) $$
After this, I am kind of stuck trying to figure out what eta would be. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The usual idea is to write down a "free Lagrangian" of the charged fields, which in your case seems to be the Proca Lagrangian for a massive complex vector field. Then you make the symmetry under multiplication with a phase factor local by introducing the massless em. field as a "connection" to define a gauge-covariant derivative and then write such a covariant derivative instead of a usual partial derivative. This is called "minimal coupling" and is a successful heuristics that lead to the formulation of the Standard Model of elementary particle physics.

1. What is a Lagrangian with a charged, massive vector boson?

A Lagrangian with a charged, massive vector boson is a mathematical framework used to describe the behavior of a charged, massive particle that interacts with an electromagnetic field. It takes into account the particle's mass, charge, and interactions with the electromagnetic field.

2. What is the significance of the vector boson being charged?

The fact that the vector boson is charged means that it can interact with the electromagnetic field, which is responsible for the electromagnetic force. This allows for the vector boson to exchange energy and momentum with other charged particles, leading to the creation of electromagnetic interactions.

3. How does the Lagrangian describe the interaction between the vector boson and the electromagnetic field?

The Lagrangian includes terms that describe the kinetic energy of the vector boson, its interaction with the electromagnetic field, and the potential energy associated with this interaction. By solving the equations of motion derived from the Lagrangian, we can determine the behavior of the vector boson and its interaction with the electromagnetic field.

4. What is the role of mass in this Lagrangian?

The mass of the vector boson is an important factor in the Lagrangian as it affects the particle's behavior and its interaction with the electromagnetic field. A larger mass will result in a slower particle and a stronger interaction with the field, while a smaller mass will result in a faster particle and a weaker interaction.

5. How does this Lagrangian contribute to our understanding of particle physics?

This Lagrangian is an essential tool in particle physics as it allows us to make predictions about the behavior of charged, massive particles and their interactions with the electromagnetic field. By studying and analyzing this Lagrangian, we can gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental forces and particles that make up our universe.