Hot air balloon buoyancy homework

In summary, to find the density of the hot air in the balloon, you need to equate the buoyant force to the weight of the balloon, cargo, and the air contained in the given volume. The buoyant force is equal to the weight of the displaced air, whose density is known, and the weight of the hot air can be calculated by solving for the unknown density.
mikep
A hot air balloon plus cargo has a mass of 291 kg and a volume of 809 m3. The balloon is floating at a constant height of 6.25 m above the ground. The density of the outside air may be assumed to be 1.29 kg/m3. What is the density of the hot air in the balloon?
can someone help me with this problem? i know that i need to use the buoyant force but I'm not sure how to relate the height with the density

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the height is mentioned only to indicate the balloon is not tethered to the ground and the fact that the height is a constant means the balloon is not accelerating.

oh ok. so how would you find the density? i tried 291/809 = 0.36kg/m^3 but that wasn't correct

Equate the buoyant force to the weight of the balloon, cargo and the air (whose density you do not know) contained in that volume. The buoyant force is the weight of the displaced air and whose density you do know.

so Fb = 1atm + (d)(9.8N/kg)(809m^3) = (1.29kg/m^3)(9.8N/kg)(809m^3) is that right?

The buoyant force is

[tex]F_b = 1.29 kg/m^3 \times 9.8 m/s^2 \times 809 m^3[/tex]

and the weight of the hot air is

[tex]W_{hot} = \rho_{hot} \times 9.8 m/s^2 \times 809 m^3[/tex]

so the [tex]F_b = W_{hot} + W_{balloon}[/tex] ?

[tex]W_{balloon} = (291kg)(9.8N/kg)[/tex]

[tex]\rho_{hot} = 0.93kg/m^3[/tex]

Last edited:
Way to go, Mike!

1. How does the buoyancy of a hot air balloon work?

The buoyancy of a hot air balloon is based on the principle of Archimedes' Law, which states that an object immersed in a fluid will experience an upward force equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces. In the case of a hot air balloon, the heated air inside the balloon is less dense than the surrounding cooler air, causing it to rise and lift the balloon up.

2. What factors affect the buoyancy of a hot air balloon?

The buoyancy of a hot air balloon is affected by several factors, including the temperature of the air inside the balloon, the temperature and density of the surrounding air, the size and weight of the balloon, and the altitude at which it is flying.

3. How does changing the temperature of the air inside the balloon affect its buoyancy?

As mentioned before, the hotter the air inside the balloon, the less dense it is and the more buoyant it becomes. By increasing the temperature of the air, the balloon will rise higher, and by decreasing the temperature, the balloon will descend.

4. How does altitude affect the buoyancy of a hot air balloon?

The higher the altitude, the lower the air pressure, which means the air is less dense. This change in air density can affect the buoyancy of a hot air balloon, as the heated air inside the balloon may not be able to lift it as effectively. Therefore, hot air balloons typically fly at lower altitudes where the air is denser and provides more lift.

5. How is buoyancy maintained during a hot air balloon flight?

The pilot of a hot air balloon maintains its buoyancy by controlling the temperature of the air inside the balloon. By using a burner to heat the air, the pilot can increase the temperature and lift the balloon higher. Similarly, by allowing the air to cool, the pilot can descend the balloon. The pilot also uses wind currents and air temperature variations at different altitudes to navigate and maintain the balloon's buoyancy.