Confusion with Dot Product in Polar Coordinates with the Metric Tensor

In summary, the conversation is about dot products and the use of metric tensors in different coordinate systems. The main question is whether the given metric tensor can be used in the dot product of two different vectors, considering that there are different basis vectors for different points. The answer is that the metric tensor is a tensor field that associates a tensor with each point, and it can be calculated using the equations provided. To convert a vector from contravariant to covariant form in a specific coordinate system, it can be contracted with the metric tensor.
MrBillyShears
Gold Member
Alright, so I was reading up on tensors and such with non-Cartesian coordinate systems all day but now I'm a bit tired an confused so you'll have to forgive me if it's a stupid question. So to express the dot product in some coordinate system, it's:
[itex]g(\vec{A}\,,\vec{B})=A^aB^bg_{ab}[/itex]
And, if we're dealing with polar coordinates, then the metric is:
[itex]g_{ab}=\begin{pmatrix}1&0\\0&r^2\end{pmatrix}[/itex]
Alright, so the dot product is:
[itex]A^1B^1+(r)^2A^2B^2[/itex]
But which r? I know I'm probably only confused because I'm so tired right now, but both A and B have r's, do't they? Which r is used to compute this?
Remember, I'm just a student at this, so don't get too technical in the response, and sorry for any typos.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
In my experience, both, r, theta are given as functions.

I'm trying to figure this out on my own. Perhaps no one understands what I'm asking. I'm asking if the metric tensor I listed above is valid to use in the dot product of two different vectors. Because the basis vectors are different at different points,
[itex]\vec{e}_{a'}=\Lambda^b{}_{a'}\vec{e}_{b}[/itex]
where
[itex]\Lambda^b{}_{a'}=\begin{pmatrix}cos{Θ}&sin{Θ}\\-rsin{Θ}&rcos{Θ}\end{pmatrix}[/itex]
So, if there are different basis vectors for different points, you can't use the same metric tensor as you would to say, transform a polar vector to a polar covector. Is this correct?

The metric ##g## is a tensor field of type (2,0), so it associates a tensor ##g_{\vec r}## of type (2,0) with each ##\vec r\in\mathbb R^2##. This ##g_{\vec r}## is an inner product on ##T_{\vec r}\mathbb R^2##, the tangent space of ##\mathbb R^2## at ##\vec r##. You have determined the components (in the polar coordinate system) of ##g_{\vec r}## for an arbitrary ##\vec r##. Your r is the absolute value of this ##\vec r##.

If you want a mental image, imagine a second copy of ##\mathbb R^2## with its (0,0) point attached to the point ##\vec r##. The A and B that you feed into ##g_{\vec r}## are vectors in that space, so if you visualize them as arrows, those arrows should start at ##\vec r##.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks. It's becoming much clearer to me now.

You can calculate the metric like this [itex]g_{ij} = (\partial_{i}, \partial_{j})[/itex] for your parametrization i.e. for cylindrical coordinates. Then if you want to convert a vector in this coordinate system from a contravariant form into a covariant form you have to contract it with this metric tensor like [itex]A_{i}=g_{ij}A^{j}[/itex], the solution to this system of equations is your covariant vector in cylindrical coordinates. I'm not sure this helps...

1. What is the dot product in polar coordinates?

The dot product in polar coordinates is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a scalar value. It measures the projection of one vector onto the other vector, and is calculated by multiplying the magnitudes of the vectors and the cosine of the angle between them.

2. How is the dot product calculated in polar coordinates?

The dot product in polar coordinates is calculated by taking the product of the magnitudes of the vectors and the cosine of the angle between them. This can be represented as a formula: A · B = |A| * |B| * cos(θ), where A and B are the two vectors and θ is the angle between them.

3. What is the metric tensor in polar coordinates?

The metric tensor in polar coordinates is a mathematical object that describes the relationship between the basis vectors and the coordinate system. It is used to calculate distances, angles, and other geometric properties in curved spaces, such as polar coordinates.

4. How does the metric tensor affect the dot product in polar coordinates?

The metric tensor affects the dot product in polar coordinates by providing a scale factor for the basis vectors. This scale factor takes into account the curvature of the coordinate system and adjusts the dot product calculation accordingly. In other words, the metric tensor ensures that the dot product is calculated correctly in curved spaces.

5. Why is there confusion with the dot product in polar coordinates and the metric tensor?

There is confusion with the dot product in polar coordinates and the metric tensor because the metric tensor introduces an additional factor that is not present in the dot product formula for Cartesian coordinates. This can be confusing for those who are not familiar with tensor calculus and the concept of curvature in mathematics. Additionally, the metric tensor can change depending on the coordinate system used, leading to further confusion and potential errors in calculations.