Insight into polar coordinates (Newtonian mechanics)?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of polar coordinates to describe the motions of particles and the derivations of equations such as position, velocity, and acceleration in polar coordinates. However, the overall concept of polar coordinates and its application in the central force problem remains unclear. The conversation also touches on the effective potential and how it simplifies the problem to a one-dimensional case. Ultimately, the goal is to find an equation that describes the path taken by a particle in a central force field using polar coordinates.
Leo Liu
I am learning to use polar coordinates to describe the motions of particles. Now I know how to use polar coordinates to solve problems and the derivations of many equations. However, the big picture of polar coordinates remains unclear to me. Would you mind sharing your insight with me so that I can better grasp the related concepts, and hopefully be equipped to see the big picture of it? Thanks.

Equations:
$$\vec r = r\hat r (\theta) $$
$$\vec v = \dot r \hat r + r\hat \theta \dot \theta$$
$$\vec a = \hat r (\ddot r - r \dot \theta^2)+ \hat \theta (r \ddot \theta + 2\dot r \dot \theta)$$

Likes JD_PM and Delta2
Science news on Phys.org
The relations on unit vectors
[tex]d\hat{\mathbf{r}}=\hat{\phi}\ d\phi[/tex]
[tex]d\hat{\phi}=\hat{\mathbf{r}}\ d\phi[/tex]
and the differential rule give the formula you wrote. These relations tell not radial ##dr## but only angle ##d\phi## of position displacement should change the unit vectors.

EDIT sign error as pointed out in post #4 correction
[tex]d\hat{\phi}=-\hat{\mathbf{r}}\ d\phi[/tex]

Attachments

• img20200710_15354165.pdf
    271.9 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Likes Leo Liu, etotheipi and Delta2
If you have a coordinate system whose coordinates ##y^a## are related to the coordinates ##x^i## in a Cartesian system, then the tangent vector basis is (ignoring issues of normalisation)$$\vec{E}_a = \frac{\partial \vec{x}}{\partial y^a} = \frac{\partial x^i}{\partial y^a}\vec{e}_i$$For instance if ##x = r\cos{\theta}## and ##y = r\sin{\theta}##, then$$\hat{r} = \frac{\partial x}{\partial r}\hat{x} + \frac{\partial y}{\partial r}\hat{y} = \cos{(\theta)} \hat{x} + \sin{(\theta)} \hat{y}$$Everything else in a dynamics context works in pretty much the same way as before, you just need to have the correct forms for ##\vec{v}## and ##\vec{a}##. For instance for planar circular motion you might decompose the forces on a particle into the tangent vector basis and write$$F_r = ma_r = m(\dot{r} - r\dot{\theta}^2)$$but you also have the constraint that ##\dot{r} = 0##.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Leo Liu
anuttarasammyak said:
The relations on unit vectors
[tex]d\hat{\mathbf{r}}=\hat{\phi}\ d\phi[/tex]
[tex]d\hat{\phi}=\hat{\mathbf{r}}\ d\phi[/tex]
and the differential rule give the formula you wrote. These relations tell not radial ##dr## but only angle ##d\phi## of position displacement should change the unit vectors.
For the second equation, I think there should be a negative sign on the right side because $$d \phi = -\cos \phi d\phi \: \hat i - \sin \phi d\phi \: \hat j \implies d\phi=-(\cos \phi \hat i + \sin \phi \hat j)d \phi$$

Likes anuttarasammyak, Chestermiller, vanhees71 and 1 other person
The big picture is this. The most useful application of polar coordinates to physics is examining the central force problem. Fore example when you study Keplers problem of planetary motion. A nice undergrad exercise and lecture is showing the paths or orbits in an inverse square field are conic sections, hyperbola (path), parabola(path), ellipse (orbit), or circle (orbit). Because the force law is radial (i.e. central) , plane polar coordinates is a natural way to approach the problem. Cartesian coordinates would be much harder.

The position, velocity, and acceleration, you listed for plane polar coordinates look good to me. I do not find any error or any reference to phi, which is usually used for azimuth?

• Informative
Likes JD_PM and Leo Liu
To follow up on @mpresic3's comment, the total energy of an orbiting body in polar coordinates is$$E = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 + U(r) = \frac{1}{2}m(\dot{r}^2 +r^2\dot{\theta}^2) + U(r)$$However the angular momentum in polar coordinates is $$L = mr^2 \dot{\theta}$$which means that, with ##h := \frac{L}{m},##$$r^2 \dot{\theta}^2 = \frac{L^2}{m^2 r^2} = \frac{h^2}{r^2}$$ $$E = \frac{1}{2}m \left(\dot{r}^2 + \frac{h^2}{r^2} \right) + U(r) = \frac{1}{2}m\dot{r}^2 + \left[\frac{mh^2}{2r^2} + U(r) \right]$$ We define the effective potential $$U_{\text{eff}}(r) := \frac{mh^2}{2r^2} + U(r)$$so that$$E = U_{\text{eff}}(r) + \frac{1}{2}m\dot{r}^2$$and we have reduced our problem to essentially a one dimensional case! This is quite a bit easier to work with, for instance$$F_{\text{eff}}(r) = -\frac{dU_{\text{eff}}(r)}{dr} = m\ddot{r}$$
this is useful for e.g. checking if an orbit is stable.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Likes mpresic3, Leo Liu, JD_PM and 1 other person
Given the energy and angular momentum equations

$$E = \frac{1}{2}m(\dot{r}^2 +r^2\dot{\theta}^2) + U(r) \tag 1$$

$$\dot{\theta}= \frac{L}{mr^2} \tag 2$$

We eliminate ##\dot \theta## (by plugging ##(2)## into ##(1)##) to get

$$E = \frac 1 2 m \dot{r}^2 + \frac{L^2}{2 r^2 m} + U(r)= \frac 1 2 m \dot{r}^2 + U_{\text{eff}}(r) \tag 3$$

As etotheipi explained.

##(3)## is sometimes called the radial motion equation, which given initial conditions, leads to determine the change in the polar coordinate ##r## with respect to time. The change of the polar coordinate ##\theta## with respect to time is determined by ##(2)##.

In practise one does not seek to solve ##(3)## analytically (I encourage you to try to get ##r(t)## given the attractive inverse squared field ##\vec F = \frac{-k}{r^2} \hat r## and see what happens :wink:). Instead we try to simplify the problem and only get an equation that describes the path taken by the particle (which means that we do not seek to know where the particle is on the its path at a particular time but only to get an equation describing its path). Let's show explicitly how.

We start off by noticing that any particle moving under a central force field does so in a plane. This fact suggests we should use a 2D coordinate system: polar coordinates. Next we use Newton's equations in polar coordinates (it is indeed a good exercise to show it; you only need to use the formulas you provided in #1)

$$m \ddot r - mr \dot \theta^2 = F(r) \tag{4.1}$$

$$mr \ddot \theta +2m \dot r \dot \theta \tag{4.2} = 0$$

What we want is to get rid of the polar-coordinate derivatives with respect to time ( i.e. ##\ddot r## and ##\dot \theta##) in Newton's equations in order to get these in terms of a new coordinate whose derivatives are not going to be with respect to time. It turns out that there's a beautiful change of variables which makes this possible (I'd say it was Bernoulli's trick)

$$u:= \frac{1}{r} \tag 5$$

Next we get ##\dot r## in terms of the new coordinate

$$\dot r = \frac{d}{dt} \Big( \frac{1}{u} \Big) = \frac{-1}{u^2}\frac{du}{dt} = \frac{-1}{u^2}\frac{du}{d\theta} \dot \theta = \frac{-L}{m} \frac{du}{d \theta} \tag 6$$

Where I've used the chain rule and the angular momentum equation in terms of the new coordinate.

To get ##\ddot r## we simply differentiate ##(6)## to get

$$\ddot r = \frac{-L}{m} \frac{d}{dt} \Big( \frac{du}{d \theta} \Big) = \frac{-L}{m} \frac{d}{d \theta} \Big( \frac{du}{dt} \Big) = \frac{-L}{m} \frac{d}{d \theta} \Big( \frac{du}{d\theta} \dot \theta \Big) = -\Big(\frac{Lu}{m} \Big)^2 \frac{d^2 u}{d \theta^2} \tag7$$

Thus, having ##r \dot \theta^2 = \frac{L^2 u^3}{m^2}##, ##(4.1)## becomes

$$-\Big(\frac{Lu}{m} \Big)^2 \frac{d^2 u}{d \theta^2} - \frac{L^2 u^3}{m} = F(1/u) $$

Rearranging a bit we get

$$\frac{d^2 u}{d \theta^2} +mu = -m^2 \frac{F(1/u)}{L^2 u^2} \tag 8$$

##(8)## is known as the path equation.

Source: you can find all I wrote and more in chapter 7 of Gregory's Classical Mechanics book.

Likes mpresic3, vanhees71 and etotheipi
What shocked me about ##(8)## when I first learned about it was that it is linear only when ##F(r) \sim \frac{1}{r^2}## and when ##F(r) \sim \frac{1}{r^3}##. The former is the most important case in the theory of fields.

Mmm I've always wondered whether this is just coincidence...

Likes etotheipi
Very neat. And that orbit equation also nicely paves the way for Bertrand's theorem, which I won't dare try and derive but will instead leave a link to a derivation here 😁

Likes JD_PM and vanhees71

1. What are polar coordinates and how are they used in Newtonian mechanics?

Polar coordinates are a coordinate system used to describe the position of a point in a two-dimensional space. They consist of a distance from the origin (called the radial coordinate) and an angle from a fixed reference direction (called the angular coordinate). In Newtonian mechanics, polar coordinates are often used to describe the motion of objects in circular or rotational motion.

2. How do polar coordinates differ from Cartesian coordinates?

Polar coordinates use a different system of measurement than Cartesian coordinates. While Cartesian coordinates use a horizontal x-axis and a vertical y-axis, polar coordinates use a radial distance and an angular direction. This makes polar coordinates more useful for describing circular or rotational motion, while Cartesian coordinates are better for describing linear motion.

3. Can polar coordinates be converted to Cartesian coordinates?

Yes, polar coordinates can be converted to Cartesian coordinates using the following equations: x = rcosθ and y = rsinθ. Here, r represents the radial distance and θ represents the angular direction. This conversion is useful when solving problems involving both linear and circular motion.

4. How does Newton's Second Law of Motion apply to polar coordinates?

Newton's Second Law of Motion states that the force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In polar coordinates, this law can be expressed as F = mrθ'', where m is the mass of the object, r is the radial distance, and θ'' is the second derivative of the angular direction with respect to time. This equation can be used to solve problems involving circular motion.

5. What are some real-world applications of polar coordinates in Newtonian mechanics?

Polar coordinates are commonly used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and astronomy. Some examples of real-world applications include analyzing the motion of planets and satellites, designing circular paths for roller coasters, and calculating the forces acting on a spinning top. Polar coordinates also have applications in fluid dynamics, such as describing the flow of water in a circular pipe.