Angular displacement and bicyclist

In summary, the conversation revolves around a bicyclist's angular velocity and the calculation of the angular displacement between time 0 and 2 seconds. The equation for the angular velocity is provided and it is mentioned that omega is the first derivative of theta. The conversation also includes a discussion about integrating the equation to calculate the angular displacement, with one person mentioning a possible mistake and the other providing a correction.
Linus Pauling

An exhausted bicyclist pedals somewhat erratically, so that the angular velocity of his tires follows the equation

omega(t) = 0.5t - 0.25sin(2t), t greater than/equal to zero.

where t represents time (measured in seconds).

2. omega is defined as the first derivative of theta.

3. I integrated omega(t), obtaining 0.25t^2 + (1/8)cos(2t), plugged in 2 and got my incorrect answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey, can you post the actual question? Is it to find the angular displacement after 2 seconds?

What angular displacement theta has the spot of paint undergone between time 0 and 2 seconds?

That is the question. Apparently I integrated incorrectly, but I do not see where I made a mistake...

I'm really not sure what the problem is either. Is your calculator in the right mode?

cepheid said:
I'm really not sure what the problem is either. Is your calculator in the right mode?

Yes, it is in radians. So, cos(4) = -.6536

(1/8)cos(4) = -.0817

+ 1 = 0.918

?

BTW, it says that I did my integral wrong. In other words, the angular displacement does NOT equal:

0.25t^2 + (1/8)cos(2t)

??

You calculated the *indefinite* integral:

[tex] \theta(t) = \int \omega(t) \, dt [/tex]

[tex] = \int \left(\frac{1}{2}t - \frac{1}{4}\sin(2t) \right) \, dt [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{1}{4}t^2 + \frac{1}{8}\cos(2t) + C [/tex]​

where C = [itex]\theta(0) [/itex]

The question is asking you for the angular *displacement* between t = 0 and t = 2, which is given by [itex]\theta(2) - \theta(0) [/itex], which is given by the *definite* integral:

[tex] \theta(2) - \theta(0) = \int_0^2 \omega(t) \, dt [/tex]

[tex] = \int_0^2 \left(\frac{1}{2}t - \frac{1}{4}\sin(2t) \right) \, dt [/tex]

[tex] = \left[\frac{1}{4}t^2 + \frac{1}{8}\cos(2t)\right]_0^2 [/tex]​

Damn it, I forgot the blood 1/8 from taking cos(0).

Thank you.

What is angular displacement?

Angular displacement is the measure of the angle through which an object has rotated in a given amount of time. It is usually measured in radians or degrees.

How is angular displacement related to bicycling?

In bicycling, angular displacement refers to the rotation of the pedals and wheels as the bicyclist moves. It is used to measure the distance and speed of a bicyclist's movements.

Can angular displacement be negative?

Yes, angular displacement can be negative if the rotation is in a clockwise direction. It is positive if the rotation is counterclockwise.

What is the difference between angular displacement and linear displacement?

Angular displacement measures the rotation of an object, while linear displacement measures the distance an object has moved in a straight line. They are both measures of position, but in different directions.

How is angular displacement calculated?

Angular displacement is calculated by dividing the change in angle by the time it took to make that change. The formula for angular displacement is θ = (θf - θi) / t, where θ is angular displacement, θf is the final angle, θi is the initial angle, and t is the time.