Solving Coupled Ingegro-Differential Equations with Maple/Matlab/Mathematica

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter DrJekyll
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coupled
In summary, the author is working on a set of coupled Ingegro-Differential equations. He has written a code in Fortran to solve them, but is unsure of the validity of the results. He would like to try and solve them using Maple or Matlab, but has had little success. He has tried resurrecting this thread in order to get help, but is not sure how to do so.
DrJekyll
I've got a set of coupled Ingegro-Differential equations that I've been working on for a while. Here they are:

[tex] \frac{\partial b_x}{\partial t} = i x b_x + i u_x [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\partial b_y}{\partial t} = i x b_y + i u_y [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\partial b_z}{\partial t} = i x b_z + i u_z - \frac{3}{2 \omega} b_x [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\partial u_x}{\partial t} = i x u_x + i b_x + \frac{2}{\omega} u_x -\frac{3}{2 \omega} \frac{\partial Q}{\partial x} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\partial u_y}{\partial t} = i x u_y + i b_y - \frac{1}{2 \omega} u_x -i Q[/tex]

[tex] \frac{\partial u_z}{\partial t} = i x u_z + i b_z -\frac{i}{\kappa} Q[/tex]

where Q is defined as follows:

[tex] Q = e^{-K x} \int_x^{\infty} \left( \frac{2 u_y(x')}{3} + \frac{2 i \omega u_x(x')}{9 K} \right) e^{K x'} dx' + e^{K x} \int_{-\infty}^x \left( \frac{2 u_y(x')}{3} - \frac{2 i \omega u_x(x')}{9 K} \right) e^{-K x'} dx' [/tex]

Here I've included the dependence on x' in the integral to make it clear that the integral depends on ux and uy.

and [tex] K = \frac{2}{3} \omega \sqrt{1+\frac{1}{\kappa^2}} [/tex]

[tex] \kappa [/tex] and [tex] \omega [/tex] are parameters and if need be can be set to 0.0001 and 0.01 respectively.

To date I've written a code in Fortran 90 to solve these equations using a 4rth order Runge-Kutta method along with an adaptive Simpson integration. The code runs and spits out results but I question the validity. Thus, I would like to try and get Maple/Matlab/Mathematica to run through at least one time step to compare too (mainly the result of the integration).

I'm confident that Maple just can't do it, and I'm unsure of the exact syntax to make Mathematica work. As for Matlab, I've been messing around with the pdepe function with an integration call plopped into it but I've had little sucess.

If anyone can help with this it would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

If I understand your notation correctly

u=u(t,x,y,z), b=b(t,x,y,z)

and, e.g.,

u_x=\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}

then your system has only trivial solution

b(t,x,y,z) = _F1(t),u(t,x,y,z) = _F2(t)

My notation may be a bit confusing. [tex] b_x [/tex] represents the x component of b not the partial derivative. Also b=b(x,t), the y and z directions can be safely ignored.

I believe that it would be better to convert your Integro-Differential system into purely (linear) PDEs system replacing the last condition on Q by the following PDE

[tex]-9K\frac{\partial^2 Q}{\partial x^2}+9K^3Q+12K^2u_y-4i\,\omega\frac{\partial u_x}{\partial x}=0[/tex]

with the boundary conditions [tex]Q|_{x=\pm \infty}=0[/tex].

I think that there is a chance to solve your system exactly (symbolicaly).

I've just recently tried this as well. One difference though,

[tex] \frac{\partial^2 Q}{\partial x^2} - K^2 Q = \frac{4 \partial u_y}{3 \partial x} + \frac{4 i \omega u_x}{9} [/tex]

(without actually checking, they look mostly the same, the above is definitely the correct one, any differences would most likely be my fault in the original post)

It should be noted that the above is a constraint equation.

I still can't get Maple or Mathematica to solve with the constraint equation in. Matlab does produce a result which I'm working on now, resolution might be a problem.

Ok, so resurrecting this thread since I'm back to trying to solve using Matab.

Here are the equations I'm trying to solve again, with the last one being a constraint equation. So far I've been using a 4rth order Runge-Kutta scheme to solve the first 6 equations with some initial conditions for 1 time step. Then I've used another RK4 scheme to solve the last equation (after breaking it into 2 first order ODE's) using the values from the previous RK4 step.

[tex] \frac{\partial b_x}{\partial t} = i x b_x + i u_x [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\partial b_y}{\partial t} = i x b_y + i u_y [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\partial b_z}{\partial t} = i x b_z + i u_z - \frac{3}{2 \omega} b_x [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\partial u_x}{\partial t} = i x u_x + i b_x + \frac{2}{\omega} u_x -\frac{3}{2 \omega} \frac{\partial Q}{\partial x} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\partial u_y}{\partial t} = i x u_y + i b_y - \frac{1}{2 \omega} u_x -i Q[/tex]

[tex] \frac{\partial u_z}{\partial t} = i x u_z + i b_z -\frac{i}{\kappa} Q[/tex]

[tex]
\frac{\partial^2 Q}{\partial x^2} - K^2 Q = \frac{4 \partial u_y}{3 \partial x} + \frac{4 i \omega u_x}{9}
[/tex]

with
[tex]
K = \frac{2}{3} \omega \sqrt{1+\frac{1}{\kappa^2}}
[/tex]

So, as I said I'm trying to use Matlab to solve this now. Previously I tried using Matlabs pdepe function to solve it and I got a result which I don't believe. Now I would like to use the ODE functions to try and solve it. My guess is that I will need to use something similar to my code to solve it, in that I'll need to solve the first 6 equations for 1 time step, then solve the constraint equation.

The problem is that I have no idea how to do this in Matlab, I have next to no experience with it so any help would be appreciated.

1. What is the purpose of solving coupled Ingegro-Differential Equations?

The purpose of solving coupled Ingegro-Differential Equations is to model complex systems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. These equations describe the relationship between two or more variables and their rates of change, making them useful for predicting the behavior of dynamic systems.

2. What is the role of Maple, Matlab, and Mathematica in solving coupled Ingegro-Differential Equations?

Maple, Matlab, and Mathematica are computer software programs that have built-in tools for solving mathematical equations. They use numerical methods and algorithms to solve coupled Ingegro-Differential Equations, making the process more efficient and accurate.

3. How do these software programs solve coupled Ingegro-Differential Equations?

These programs use numerical methods such as Euler's method, Runge-Kutta method, and finite difference method to solve coupled Ingegro-Differential Equations. They also have built-in libraries of functions and commands specifically designed for solving these types of equations.

4. What are the advantages of using Maple, Matlab, and Mathematica for solving coupled Ingegro-Differential Equations?

One of the main advantages is the ability to handle complex equations and systems that would be difficult to solve by hand. These programs also allow for quick and accurate solutions, as well as the ability to visualize the results through graphs and plots.

5. Are there any limitations to using Maple, Matlab, and Mathematica for solving coupled Ingegro-Differential Equations?

While these programs are powerful tools, they may not be suitable for all types of equations and systems. Some equations may require specialized methods or techniques that are not available in these programs. Additionally, the accuracy of the solutions may depend on the chosen numerical methods and the user's input.