Related Rates involving circular ring

In summary, the problem asks to find the point on the x-axis where the electric field in the x-axis direction, E, is the greatest and the least. To solve this, we take the derivative of E with respect to x and find the critical points. Factoring out the greatest common factor of the terms in the numerator and setting it equal to zero, we can solve for x and determine the values where E'(x) = 0. This will give us the points where E is either the greatest or the least.
Painguy

Homework Statement

A circular ring of wire of radius r0 lies in a plane perpendicular to the x-axis and is centered at the origin. The ring has a positive electric charge spread uniformly over it. The electric field in the x-axis direction, E, at the point given by

E=kx/((x^2 +r0^2)^(3/2)) for k>0

at what point on the x-axis is greatest? least?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so the only thing i could really think of to do is take the derivative. the circle itself isn't changing so I assumed r0 is a constant as well as k.

[itex]E'=(k(x^2 + r0^2)^(3/2) - 3kx^2√(x^2 +r0^2))/((x^2 +r0^2)^(3/2))[/itex]after this i find the critical points

0=(k(x^2 + r0^2)^(3/2) - 3kx^2√(x^2 +r0^2))/((x^2 +r0^2)^(3/2))

0=(x^2 +r0^2)^(3/2) -3x^2√(x^2+r0^2)

im not sure what do here.

I feel like I should have solved for r0 in terms of x, but I am not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
Painguy said:

Homework Statement

A circular ring of wire of radius r0 lies in a plane perpendicular to the x-axis and is centered at the origin. The ring has a positive electric charge spread uniformly over it. The electric field in the x-axis direction, E, at the point given by

Homework Equations

so the only thing i could really think of to do is take the derivative. the circle itself isn't changing so I assumed r0 is a constant as well as k.

[itex]E'=(k(x^2 + r0^2)^(3/2) - 3kx^2√(x^2 +r0^2))/((x^2 +r0^2)^(3/2))[/itex]

after this i find the critical points

The problem says to solve for x.

Painguy said:

Homework Statement

Some information is missing here. I'm pretty sure you are asked where E is the greatest and least.
Painguy said:

[itex]E'=(k(x^2 + r0^2)^(3/2) - 3kx^2√(x^2 +r0^2))/((x^2 +r0^2)^(3/2))[/itex]

after this i find the critical points

Leaving the numerator as a difference isn't much help. The usual thing to do when you use the quotient rule is to find the greatest common factor of the terms in the numerator. It's also better to leave both of the parts that involve x2 + r02 in their exponent form, rather than switch to the radical form for one, as you have done.

Once you find and pull out the greatest common factor of the terms in the numerator, the numerator will be a product of factors, and it will be easy to find the values of x for which E'(x) = 0.
Painguy said:

1. What is a related rate involving a circular ring?

A related rate involving a circular ring is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the rate of change of one variable with respect to another variable, when both variables are changing over time. In this case, the variables are related to the dimensions of a circular ring.

2. How is a related rate problem involving a circular ring solved?

To solve a related rate problem involving a circular ring, you must first identify the given information and the variables that are changing. Then, you can use the formula for the circumference or area of a circle to set up an equation and differentiate it with respect to time. Finally, you can plug in the given values and solve for the desired rate of change.

3. What are some real-world applications of related rates involving circular rings?

Related rates involving circular rings have many real-world applications, such as calculating the rate at which a hula hoop is spinning, the rate at which a wheel is turning, or the rate at which a circular pool is filling with water.

4. Can related rates involving circular rings be solved using calculus?

Yes, related rates involving circular rings can be solved using calculus. The differentiation step in solving these problems involves the use of the chain rule in calculus.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving related rates involving circular rings?

One common mistake to avoid when solving related rates involving circular rings is forgetting to convert between units, such as converting from centimeters to meters. Another mistake is mixing up the different variables in the problem, which can lead to incorrect equations and solutions.