Simple Pendulum Motion & Time Period Formula with SHM Approximation

In summary, the conversation discusses the approximate nature of the simple harmonic motion of a pendulum and focuses on determining the smallest value of amplitude for the approximation to hold true. The general expression for the time period of a simple pendulum is also obtained, along with the difference between the actual and approximate time periods at an amplitude of 15 degrees. The conversation also mentions the Taylor series expansion and how it can be used to determine the accuracy of the approximation.
shadowrunner

Homework Statement

The motion of a simple pendulum is only approximately simple harmonic. How small should the amplitude should be for the approximation to hold good?. Obtain the general expression for the time period of a simple pendulum. How much does the actual time period differ from the approximate time period when the amplitude is 15 degree?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

On obtaining the period of oscillation using SHM, we approximate sin(a)=a in radians. I was thinking of keeping it as sin(a). Any help with the first question? The amplitude one.

Physics news on Phys.org
The approximation [itex]\sin\theta\approx\theta[/itex] is derived via Taylor series expansion. To determine how accurate it is, you need to look at the Taylor series remainder.

[tex]\ T=2pi \sqrt{L/g}(1\theta^2/16+11\theta^4/3072+173\theta^6/737280+22931\theta^8/1321205760+...)[/tex]

That was the equation I got for time period. But I can't approximate the smallest value of amplitude.

Last edited:
shadowrunner said:
[tex]\ T=2pi \sqrt{L/g}(1\theta^2/16+11\theta^4/3072+173\theta^6/737280+22931\theta^8/1321205760+...)[/tex]

Surely you mean

[tex]T=2\pi\sqrt{\frac{L}{g}}\left(1+\frac{1}{16}\theta_0^2+\frac{11}{3072}\theta_0^4+\frac{173}{737280}\theta_0^6+\ldots\right)[/tex]

where [itex]\theta_0[/itex] is the initial amplitude (angular displacement) of the pendulum...right?

That was the equation I got for time period. But I can't approximate the smallest value of amplitude.

Read the question again. You aren't asked to approximate the smallest value of amplitude.

"How small should the amplitude should be for the approximation to hold good?"
It is given in the question. I don't know how to do it.

The approximation they are referring to is

[tex]T=2\pi\sqrt{\frac{L}{g}}\left(1+\frac{1}{16}\theta _0^2+\frac{11}{3072}\theta_0^4+\frac{173}{737280}\theta_0^6+\ldots\right)\approx2\pi\sqrt{\frac{L}{g}}[/tex]

...how large can you make [itex]\theta_0[/itex] before this is no longer a good approximation?

What is a simple pendulum?

A simple pendulum is a weight suspended from a fixed point that is free to swing back and forth. It consists of a string or rod attached to a weight, with the weight acting as the pendulum bob.

What is the formula for the period of a simple pendulum?

The formula for the period of a simple pendulum is T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period (time for one complete swing), L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

Does the mass of the pendulum affect the period?

No, the mass of the pendulum does not affect the period. The period of a simple pendulum only depends on the length of the pendulum and the acceleration due to gravity.

What factors can affect the period of a simple pendulum?

The period of a simple pendulum can be affected by factors such as the length of the pendulum, the acceleration due to gravity, and air resistance. Changes in these factors can cause variations in the period of the pendulum.

Can the simple pendulum formula be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, the simple pendulum formula can be applied to real-life situations as long as the pendulum is considered to be a simple pendulum (i.e. the weight is small and the angle of swing is small). This formula is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze pendulum motion.