Negative numbers to non-interger powers

In summary, a negative number is a number less than zero and a non-integer power is a decimal or irrational number used to indicate how many times a number is multiplied by itself. It is possible to raise a negative number to a non-integer power, with the result being either positive or negative. To calculate this, the number can be rewritten as a fractional power and simplified using rules of exponents. For example, (-2)^0.5 can be rewritten as (-2)^1/2 and simplified to the square root of -2, which is an imaginary number.
scott_alexsk
Hello,

How would you determine the value of such numbers as -3^1.5?

Thanks,
-scott

Mathematics news on Phys.org
[tex] - 3 ^{ 1.5} = - 3^ {\frac 3 2} [/tex]

Do either the square root or the cube first, either way results in the square root of a negative number. So the solution lies in the imaginary plane.

Last edited:
Have you ever worked with complex numbers before? Define i = (-1)^0.5
-3^1.5 = (3)^1.5 * (-1)^1.5 = 3^1.5 * (-1)^1 * (-1)^0.5 =
[tex] -i3\sqrt{3}[/tex]. By extension of this procedure one can define negative numbers to any power.

hmm... idk i would just put it in the caculator :D but i do know that a negative number squared by an odd nuber is X i idk if this helps

Integral said:
[tex] - 3 ^{ 1.5} = - 3^ {\frac 3 2} [/tex]

Do either the square root or the cube first, either way results in the square root of a negative number. So the solution lies in the imaginary plane.
As you wrote it, you do not have a square root of a negative number:
[tex]-3^{1.5} = -3^{\frac{3}{2}} = - \sqrt{27} = - 3\sqrt{3}[/tex]

On the other hand,
[tex](-3)^{1.5} = (-3)^{\frac{3}{2}} = \sqrt{-27} = 3i \sqrt{3}[/tex]

BoTemp said:
Have you ever worked with complex numbers before? Define i = (-1)^0.5
-3^1.5 = (3)^1.5 * (-1)^1.5 = 3^1.5 * (-1)^1 * (-1)^0.5 =
[tex] -i3\sqrt{3}[/tex]. By extension of this procedure one can define negative numbers to any power.
[tex](-3)^{1.5} = (-3)^{\frac{3}{2}} = \sqrt{-27} = \sqrt{27} \sqrt{-1} = \boxed{3i \sqrt{3}}[/tex]
not
[tex]-3i \sqrt{3}[/tex]

*Also, note that:
[tex]\forall x < 0, x^k \notin \mathbb{R} \; \text{ if } \, k \notin \mathbb{Q}[/tex]

Last edited:
You posted this 9 times?! I deleted the other 8.

bomba923 said:
As you wrote it, you do not have a square root of a negative number:
[tex]-3^{1.5} = -3^{\frac{3}{2}} = - \sqrt{27} = - 3\sqrt{3}[/tex]

On the other hand,
[tex](-3)^{1.5} = (-3)^{\frac{3}{2}} = \sqrt{-27} = 3i \sqrt{3}[/tex]
A good point!

[tex](-3)^{1.5} = (-3)^{\frac{3}{2}} = \sqrt{-27} = \sqrt{27} \sqrt{-1} = \boxed{3i \sqrt{3}}[/tex]
not
[tex]-3i \sqrt{3}[/tex]
While "the" square root of a positive real number is define to be the positive root, that is not true for complex numbers, where most functions are "multi-valued". (-3)1.5 has two values,
[itex]3i\sqrt{3}[/itex] and [itex]-3i\sqrt{3}[/itex]

*Also, note that:
[tex]\forall x < 0, x^k \notin \mathbb{R} \; \text{ if } \, k \notin \mathbb{Q}[/tex]
?? or even if k is rational: 1.5 is certainly rational! Did you mean
[tex]k \notin \mathbb {I}[/tex]?

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
You posted this 9 times?! I deleted the other 8.
Not really ~~

The problem was that I couldn't edit the [tex]\LaTeX[/tex] just by using the "Edit" or "Go Advanced". I had to post, delete, and repost :frown: (for some time, so it "appeared" as though I posted nine times)

Halls of Ivy said:
While "the" square root of a positive real number is define to be the positive root, that is not true for complex numbers, where most functions are "multi-valued". (-3)1.5 has two values,
[itex]3i\sqrt{3}[/itex] and [itex]-3i\sqrt{3}[/itex]
I see; so the answer is then
[tex]\pm 3i\sqrt{3}[/tex]

Halls of Ivy said:
or even if k is rational: 1.5 is certainly rational!
I didn't intend to be an 'if and only if' statement...

Halls of Ivy said:
Did you mean [tex]k \notin \mathbb {I}[/tex]?
Not really//
my statement there wasn't necessarily for scott_alesk's question;
it's just a property I like, that's related to complex numbers (~which this thread involves~).

What I meant to say was that any negative real raised to an irrational power cannot be a real number (the imaginary part of all solutions for [itex]x^k[/itex] is always nonzero if [itex]x<0[/itex] and [itex]k \notin \mathbb{Q}[/itex]).

(However, is this also the case if [itex]k\notin \mathbb{Z}[/itex] ? But doesn't [itex] (-1)^{1 / 3} [/itex] have one real solution equal to [itex]-1[/itex] ?)

Last edited:
Sometimes after you've changed the latex by editing and committed the changes, they don't show until you refresh the page.

Last edited:
My reader is so messed up it doesn't always show the changes even after "refresh"! Sometimes what I do is make the changes, copy it, then delete the post (clicking "physically remove") and paste into a new post.

HallsofIvy said:
My reader is so messed up it doesn't always show the changes even after "refresh"! Sometimes what I do is make the changes, copy it, then delete the post (clicking "physically remove") and paste into a new post.
~That's exactly what I did! (..."nine times" :frown:)

Note the part about clicking "physically remove"!

I often open the image itself in a new window, and reload that. It's easy to do in opera, but I don't know about the other major browsers.

1. What is a negative number?

A negative number is a number less than zero, typically represented with a minus sign (-) in front of it. It is the opposite of a positive number.

2. What is a non-integer power?

A non-integer power is a number that is not a whole number or a fraction, but instead is a decimal or irrational number. It is used to indicate the number of times a number is multiplied by itself.

3. Can you raise a negative number to a non-integer power?

Yes, you can raise a negative number to a non-integer power. The result will depend on the specific numbers being used, but it is possible to get both positive and negative results.

4. What happens when a negative number is raised to a non-integer power?

The result will be either positive or negative, depending on the power being used. For example, if a negative number is raised to a power of 0.5, the result will be the square root of that number, which can be either positive or negative.

5. How do you calculate negative numbers to non-integer powers?

To calculate a negative number to a non-integer power, you can use a calculator or perform the calculation by hand. First, rewrite the number as a fractional power, then use the rules of exponents to simplify it. For example, (-2)^0.5 can be rewritten as (-2)^1/2, and then simplified to the square root of -2, which is an imaginary number.