Exclusion principle in quantum gasses

In summary, the number of free electrons is approximately equal to the number of copper atoms in a given volume. The lowest energy state for these electrons is a standing wave with nodes along the walls of the cube, and subsequent states require more nodal surfaces. This leads to the highest energy electrons having a wavelength roughly equal to the distance between two atoms, resulting in an energy of 7 electron volts. The initial volume is irrelevant in this argument, making it applicable to both a 1cm cube of copper and a battleship.
Quant ummm?
Hi there,

I understand (to a degree) Pauli's exclusion principle in terms of electrons in an atom but I'm a little confused about the scales involved with free electrons, say electron gasses in metals...

My textbook gives an example:

"consider a 1cm cube of copper at room temperature. The number of free electrons N can be found from Table 1.3 to be N = nV = 8.45 × 1028 m−3 × 10−6m = 8.45 × 1022. The total number of quantum states up to energy kT, (found by using the density of states De(E) in a definite integral) has the value 2 × 1019. You can see that this number of states can accommodate only about 0.02% of the free electrons. The rest have to pile up into states of higher energy, a long way above kT. If we ask how far up the energy scale we have to go to accommodate all the free electrons, we obtain the amazing answer of about 7 eV. This is about 300kT at room temperature."

1cm is quite large compared to the de Broglie wavelength of an electron so L doesn't appear to make much difference here. To take it to an extreme, if I regard the hull of a battleship as a block of iron, the surfaces of which contain an electron gas, does the quantum state of an electron in the bow forbid an electron in the stern from having that state? Also, it would seem that with a big enough sample, some electrons would have to occupy unimaginably high states.

I suspect that separation is relevant to exclusion but I can't seem to find a rule, or I have fundamentally misunderstood the whole thing...

Physics news on Phys.org
Quant ummm? said:
Hi there,

I understand (to a degree) Pauli's exclusion principle in terms of electrons in an atom but I'm a little confused about the scales involved with free electrons, say electron gasses in metals...

My textbook gives an example:

"consider a 1cm cube of copper at room temperature. The number of free electrons N can be found from Table 1.3 to be N = nV = 8.45 × 1028 m−3 × 10−6m = 8.45 × 1022. The total number of quantum states up to energy kT, (found by using the density of states De(E) in a definite integral) has the value 2 × 1019. You can see that this number of states can accommodate only about 0.02% of the free electrons. The rest have to pile up into states of higher energy, a long way above kT. If we ask how far up the energy scale we have to go to accommodate all the free electrons, we obtain the amazing answer of about 7 eV. This is about 300kT at room temperature."

1cm is quite large compared to the de Broglie wavelength of an electron so L doesn't appear to make much difference here. To take it to an extreme, if I regard the hull of a battleship as a block of iron, the surfaces of which contain an electron gas, does the quantum state of an electron in the bow forbid an electron in the stern from having that state? Also, it would seem that with a big enough sample, some electrons would have to occupy unimaginably high states.

I suspect that separation is relevant to exclusion but I can't seem to find a rule, or I have fundamentally misunderstood the whole thing...

I'm going to take a stab at this:

The number of free electrons is approximately the number of copper atoms if you assume that all but one of the electrons in the atom are bound to their own local atom. So you have a block of positive (+1) copper ions in a sea of free electrons.

This is approximately a cubical potential well, which we solve just like the potential wells of first-year physics. The lowest energy state is a standing wave with nodes along the walls of the cube; the subsequent states divide the cube into two, three or more nodal regions.

All these regions are filled by electrons one at a time. Subsequent levels require more and more nodal surfaces, until at the limit, the nodal surfaces virtually coincide with the number of atoms. You can see this must be so by a counting argument where you compare the number of atoms in a cubical lattice to the number of standing wave modes filling the same cubical volume. So the highest energy electrons have a wavelength approximately equal to the distance between two atoms.

And that is where your 7 electron volts comes from. If you just think of the hydrogen atom (-13.6 eV) you will know that a wavelength of atomic dimensions has more or less that much energy.

The initial volume (1 cc) is irrelevant to the shape of this argument, and that is why it applies to a battleship the same way it applies to a penny.

Hello,

The exclusion principle in quantum gases is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that helps explain the behavior of particles at a microscopic level. It states that two identical particles, such as electrons, cannot occupy the same quantum state simultaneously. This means that in a system of free electrons, each electron must occupy a different energy level or quantum state.

In the example given in your textbook, the 1cm cube of copper contains a large number of free electrons, but due to the limited number of available quantum states up to a certain energy level, only a small fraction of the electrons can occupy those states. This is why the rest of the electrons must occupy higher energy states, which are much further above the energy level of kT (thermal energy at room temperature).

Your understanding that the size of the sample does not affect the exclusion principle is correct. This is because the exclusion principle is based on the properties of the individual particles, not the size of the system they are in. In the example of the battleship, the electrons in the bow and stern would not necessarily be in the same quantum state, but they would be in different states due to their positions in the system.

Overall, the exclusion principle plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles in quantum gases and helps explain the distribution of particles in different energy states. I hope this helps clarify your understanding of the concept.

1. What is the exclusion principle in quantum gases?

The exclusion principle in quantum gases is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that no two identical fermions (particles with half-integer spin) can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously. This principle is responsible for the structure and behavior of atoms, molecules, and other quantum systems.

2. How does the exclusion principle affect the behavior of quantum gases?

The exclusion principle plays a crucial role in determining the properties of quantum gases. It leads to the formation of discrete energy levels in atoms and molecules, as well as the stability of matter. It also governs the behavior of electrons in conductors and insulators, and the properties of superfluids and superconductors.

3. What are the consequences of violating the exclusion principle?

If the exclusion principle is violated, it would result in the collapse of atoms and molecules, making the universe and all matter unstable. This principle is essential for maintaining the structural integrity of matter and is a fundamental law of nature.

4. Does the exclusion principle apply to all particles?

No, the exclusion principle only applies to fermions, which include particles such as electrons, protons, and neutrons. Bosons, which have integer spin, do not follow this principle and can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously.

5. How was the exclusion principle discovered?

The exclusion principle was first proposed by Austrian physicist Wolfgang Pauli in 1925 to explain the structure of atoms. It was later confirmed by experiments and has since become a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and the basis for our understanding of matter at the atomic and subatomic level.