General Concepts About Fermi-Dirac Distribution

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the Pauli's exclusion principle and the Fermi-Dirac distribution in quantum statistical mechanics. The Pauli's exclusion principle states that two fermions cannot occupy the same quantum state, while the Fermi-Dirac distribution tells the average number of electrons in a quantum state with energy E_i. The conversation also touches on the possibility of having two states with the same energy and how it affects the number of particles, as well as the role of degeneracy in the Fermi-Dirac distribution. The expert clarifies that the Fermi-Dirac distribution only gives the average number of particles and that there can be more than one state with the same energy.
MartinCort
Hello!
Thanks for your time reading my questions.
When I was studying quantum statistical mechanics, I get so confused about the relations between Pauli's exclusion principle and the Fermi-Dirac distributions.
1. The Pauli's exclusion principle says that: Two fermions can't occupy the same quantum states.
2. The Fermi-Dirac distribution tells how many electrons there are in one quantum state with Energy E_i

Is there any possibility that we find a system, which has 2 degeneracy(for example) satisfying both of the requirements?
If so how do we interpret the Fermi-Dirac distribution in this case, because we know when E=E_i, there are two particles, but from the Fermi-Dirac distribution, the average number will be 1?

Physics news on Phys.org
MartinCort said:
The Fermi-Dirac distribution tells how many electrons there are in one quantum state with Energy E_i

No. The Fermi-Dirac distribution tells how many electrons there are (more precisely, the expectation value of electron number) when aggregated over all of the quantum states that have energy ##E_i##. There might well be more than one such state.

MartinCort said:
we know when E=E_i, there are two particles

No, you don't. You know there are two states with energy ##E_i## (because you stipulated that in your hypothetical), but you don't know that there are electrons occupying both of those states.

PeterDonis said:
No. The Fermi-Dirac distribution tells how many electrons there are (more precisely, the expectation value of electron number) when aggregated over all of the quantum states that have energy ##E_i##. There might well be more than one such state.
No, you don't. You know there are two states with energy ##E_i## (because you stipulated that in your hypothetical), but you don't know that there are electrons occupying both of those states.

Hello Peter
Thanks for your explanation!

Can I understand this as follow?

It is possible to have two states A and B with the same energy, but we can not say that there is an electron in state A while there is another electron in state B. So the number of electrons will still be one which is consistent with the Fermi-Dirac distribution.

However, Would you mind elucidating why it is not allowed?

Thanks!

MartinCort said:
It is possible to have two states A and B with the same energy, but we can not say that there is an electron in state A while there is another electron in state B.

No, that's not correct. The Pauli exclusion principle only says you can't have two fermions in the same state--so there can't be two electrons both in state A, or two electrons both in state B. But there is nothing stopping one electron being in state A and another electron in state B.

MartinCort said:
So the number of electrons will still be one which is consistent with the Fermi-Dirac distribution.

Why do you think the number of electrons has to be one if there are two states, A and B?

MartinCort said:
When I was studying quantum statistical mechanics, I get so confused about the relations between Pauli's exclusion principle and the Fermi-Dirac distributions.
(1) The Pauli's exclusion principle says that: Two fermions can't occupy the same quantum states.
(2) The Fermi-Dirac distribution tells how many electrons there are in one quantum state with Energy E_i
According to (1), the number of particles in a given state is either 0 or 1. But statistical physics assigns probabilities to those two possibilities, meaning that the average number of particles in a given state can be any real number in the interval [0,1]. According to (2), this average number is something like
$$\frac{1}{e^{\beta E}+1}$$
The crucial thing here is that we have the term +1 (not -1 as in the Bose-Einstein distribution), which provides that this number indeed cannot be larger than 1.

Demystifier said:
this average number is

Note that this formula assumes no degeneracy. If there is degeneracy, the formula you give has to be multiplied by the degree of degeneracy to give the expectation value of particle number for energy ##E##.

PeterDonis said:
Note that this formula assumes no degeneracy. If there is degeneracy, the formula you give has to be multiplied by the degree of degeneracy to give the expectation value of particle number for energy ##E##.
Of course, but it seemed to me that this is not what confused the OP.

Demystifier said:
it seemed to me that this is not what confused the OP.

On the contrary, I think that is exactly what confused the OP; he is asking about a system with degeneracy but appears to believe that the number of particles with energy ##E## can't be more than 1 even if there is degeneracy (multiple states with the same energy ##E##). See my post #4, and the portion of post #3 that I responded to there.

PeterDonis said:
On the contrary, I think that is exactly what confused the OP; he is asking about a system with degeneracy but appears to believe that the number of particles with energy ##E## can't be more than 1 even if there is degeneracy (multiple states with the same energy ##E##). See my post #4, and the portion of post #3 that I responded to there.
When I read it again, I see that you are right.

What is the Fermi-Dirac distribution?

The Fermi-Dirac distribution is a probability distribution function that describes the distribution of fermions (particles with half-integer spin) in a system at thermal equilibrium. It was first proposed by Enrico Fermi and Paul Dirac in the 1920s and is an essential concept in statistical mechanics and quantum physics.

What is the significance of the Fermi energy in the Fermi-Dirac distribution?

The Fermi energy is the maximum energy that a fermion in a system can have at absolute zero temperature. It is a fundamental parameter in the Fermi-Dirac distribution as it determines the occupation of fermionic energy levels in a system at any given temperature.

How does the Fermi-Dirac distribution differ from the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution?

The Fermi-Dirac distribution is specifically applicable to fermions, while the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is applicable to all particles, including bosons (particles with integer spin). Additionally, the Fermi-Dirac distribution takes into account the Pauli exclusion principle, which states that no two fermions can occupy the same quantum state, while the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution does not.

What is the relationship between the Fermi-Dirac distribution and the Fermi-Dirac statistics?

The Fermi-Dirac distribution is a probability distribution function, while the Fermi-Dirac statistics is a set of rules that govern the behavior of fermions in a system. The Fermi-Dirac distribution is derived from the Fermi-Dirac statistics and is used to calculate the probability of finding a fermion at a given energy level in a system at thermal equilibrium.

How is the Fermi-Dirac distribution used in real-world applications?

The Fermi-Dirac distribution is used in various fields of physics and chemistry, such as solid-state physics, semiconductors, and nuclear physics. It is also important in understanding the behavior of electrons in metals and the conduction of electricity in semiconductors. Additionally, the Fermi-Dirac distribution plays a crucial role in the study of white dwarf stars and neutron stars in astrophysics.