What is this? Absolute value derivative? Magnitude?

In summary, the conversation revolved around a problem involving a derivative of vectors and the confusion surrounding the second part of the problem. The person was unsure of what to call it and how it was derived. It was then clarified that the second part is the magnitude of the vector in #2, which is represented by the equation shown. The use of trigonometric functions may have caused initial confusion, but it ultimately simplifies to a more manageable form.
authgeek
I'm looking at this problem below:

http://apthtml.com/images/deriv.png

The first part I understand - a derivative of some vectors, not a big deal - but the second part is where I'm confused. I can't even come up with a name for it. First I thought magnitude, but I don't really see how that works. My calculus is a little rusty, so bear with me while I ask this question. What is it? How did we get from equation #2 to #3?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's the magnitude of the vector in #2.

[tex]\left|\frac{d\textbf{r}}{d\theta}\right|=\left(\frac{d\textbf{r}}{d\theta}\cdot\frac{d\textbf{r}}{d\theta}\right)^{1/2}[/tex]

Thanks! I suppose what threw me off magnitude was the trig functions; they're looking funny when you first do them but they magically boil down to something more manageable.

1. What is the absolute value derivative?

The absolute value derivative is a mathematical concept that refers to the rate of change of the absolute value of a function with respect to its input. It is typically represented by the symbol |f'(x)| and is equal to the derivative of the function f(x) if f(x) is positive and the negative of the derivative if f(x) is negative.

2. How is the absolute value derivative calculated?

The absolute value derivative can be calculated using the standard rules of differentiation. If the function f(x) is defined as f(x) = |x|, then the absolute value derivative is equal to 1 for all values of x except for x = 0, where the derivative is undefined. For other functions, the absolute value derivative can be calculated by finding the derivative of the function and then taking the absolute value of the result.

3. What is the significance of the absolute value derivative?

The absolute value derivative is significant because it allows us to calculate the rate of change of a function even when the function itself may have sharp or undefined points. It also helps us to analyze the behavior of functions near their critical points, where the derivative is equal to 0.

4. What is the difference between the absolute value derivative and the magnitude of a vector?

The absolute value derivative is a mathematical concept that applies to functions, whereas the magnitude of a vector is a measure of the size or length of a vector in a specific direction. While both concepts involve the use of absolute value, they are fundamentally different and cannot be directly compared.

5. How is the absolute value derivative related to the concept of slope?

The absolute value derivative is closely related to the concept of slope, which is defined as the rate of change of a function at a particular point. In fact, the absolute value derivative is equal to the slope of a function at a given point when the function is differentiable. However, unlike slope, the absolute value derivative can also be calculated at points where the function is not differentiable, making it a more versatile concept.