Nuclear Model - Expression for Total Energy [Modern Physics]

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of an expression for the total energy required to assemble a sphere of charge with a nucleus of atomic number Z and radius R. The equation \rho = 3Am / 4*pi*R3 is used to represent the uniform volume charge density of the nucleus. The solution, U = 3k * (Ze)2 / 5R, is mentioned and the conversation explores how to derive it. The concept of the gravitational analog is introduced as a helpful tool in solving the problem, specifically in regards to potential energy of a spherical shell and how to add up all the shells to form a sphere. The conversation concludes with the individual stating they will check their notes and come back with an update.
twotaileddemon

Homework Statement

Derive an expression for the total energy required to asemble a sphere of charge corresponding to a nucleus of atomic number Z and radius R. Assume the nucleus is a sphere of uniform volume charge density [tex]\rho[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\rho[/tex] = mass / volume = 3Am / 4*pi*R3

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the solution is U = 3k * (Ze)2 / 5R, so I need to work on deriving this.

I also know that when an alpha particle collides with the nucleus, the initial kinetic energy is equal to the electrical potential energy of the system and is given by
.5mv2 = kq1q2/r = k(2e)(Ze)/d where d = 4kZe2 / mv2

Not sure how this helps though, but it seems to be in a relevant section in the textbook. There is also info on the binding energy, but it doesn't seem applicable in this case.

Any tips on how to approach the problem, please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you ever learned of the gravitational analog? Wherein the gravitational potential energy of a sphere of mass M and radius R is -3/5GM^2/R?

You can apply that analog perfectly to this case.

If you haven't seen that. Consider a spherical shell (infinitessimal thickness), what is the potential energy of this shell? How would I go about adding up all these spherical shells to form a sphere?

Matterwave said:
Have you ever learned of the gravitational analog? Wherein the gravitational potential energy of a sphere of mass M and radius R is -3/5GM^2/R?

You can apply that analog perfectly to this case.

If you haven't seen that. Consider a spherical shell (infinitessimal thickness), what is the potential energy of this shell? How would I go about adding up all these spherical shells to form a sphere?

I think I remember learning about that in a different course, let me check my notes and I'll get back to you. Thanks for the tip!

EDIT 4/19: I was able to figure out how to derive the proof. Thank you!

Last edited:

1. What is the Nuclear Model?

The Nuclear Model is a scientific theory that describes the structure of an atom. It proposes that an atom consists of a small, dense nucleus containing positively charged protons and neutral neutrons, surrounded by negatively charged electrons in orbit around the nucleus.

2. What is the expression for total energy in the Nuclear Model?

The expression for total energy in the Nuclear Model is given by the famous equation E=mc², where E represents energy, m represents mass, and c represents the speed of light.

3. How does the Nuclear Model explain the stability of atoms?

The Nuclear Model explains the stability of atoms by proposing that the positively charged protons in the nucleus are held together by a strong nuclear force that overcomes the electrostatic repulsion between them. The number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus determines the stability of an atom.

4. What is the role of the nucleus in nuclear reactions?

The nucleus plays a crucial role in nuclear reactions as it contains the majority of an atom's mass and its positively charged protons determine the type of element. During nuclear reactions, changes in the nucleus can result in the release of large amounts of energy.

5. How has the Nuclear Model evolved over time?

The Nuclear Model has evolved significantly over time, from the early understanding of atoms as indivisible particles to the current model of a nucleus surrounded by orbiting electrons. It has also been refined to incorporate new discoveries such as subatomic particles and quantum mechanics.