Find the ionization energy of a simple model atom

In summary: The electron exists "atoms with many protons and electrons", but the problem doesn't state where the ionized electron is first located. So maybe we should assume one proton and one electron effectively situated at some mean position r0 which could be computed from the given charge density function.
Turbotanten
1. Homework Statement
A simple model atom is composed of a point-like nucleus with charge ##+Q## and an electron charge distribution
$$
\rho(\vec{r})=-\dfrac{\left|Q\right|}{\pi a^2 r}exp(-2r/a)
$$
where ##a## is a constant. Show that the ionization energy (the energy to remove the electron to infinity) of this model is
$$
I = \frac{3}{8}\frac{Q^2}{\pi\epsilon_0a}
$$

Homework Equations

The energy it takes to assemble a continuous charge distribution.
$$
W = \frac{\epsilon_0}{2}\int_{\textrm{all space}}E^2 dV
$$
The energy it takes to move a charged particle in an electric field from the point a to b.
$$
W = -Q\int_a^b \textbf{E}\cdot d\textbf{l}
$$
Maxwell equation for electrostatics
$$
\nabla \cdot \textbf{E} = \frac{1}{\epsilon_0}\rho(\vec{r})
$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the ionization energy is the energy it takes to assemble the charge distribution created by the electron cloud plus the energy it takes to remove the positive nucleus. If I can find and calculate the electric field created by the charge distribution at a given point ##r##, I can easily use the first and second equation in relevant equations to calculate the energy it takes to assemble the charge distribution and the energy it takes to move the positive nucleus from the origin out to infinity.

Since the charge distribution is spherical symmetric I was thinking that I can use Maxwells first equation to calculate the E-field using Gauss law.

$$
\oint \textbf{E}\cdot d\textbf{a} = \frac{1}{\epsilon_0}\int \rho(\vec{r})dV
$$
From this I get that
$$
4\pi r^2 E(r) = \frac{4\pi}{\epsilon_0}\int_0^r -\dfrac{\left|Q\right|}{\pi a^2 r^\prime}exp(-2r^\prime/a) r^{\prime 2}dr^\prime
$$
I use primed r on the right hand side to differentiate my limit from my integration variable. Solving the integral on the right hand side using partial integration I end up with that the electric field is give by
$$
E(r)=-\frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_0 r^2 a}(a-e^{-2r/a}(2r+a))
$$
Now comes the big problem. When I'm going to calculate the work it takes to move the nucleus out to infinity I get an integral that diverges.
$$
W = -Q\int_a^b \textbf{E}\cdot d\textbf{l} = \frac{Q^2}{4\pi\epsilon_0 a}\int_\infty^0\frac{a-e^{-2r/a}(2r+a)}{r^2}dr = Diverges
$$
I don't know what I'm doing wrong and would appreciate help very much! Maybe I'm missing something? Perhaps I should assume that r<<a so I can do some kind of Taylor expansion of the exponential.

Physics news on Phys.org
Turbotanten said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the ionization energy is the energy it takes to assemble the charge distribution created by the electron cloud plus the energy it takes to remove the positive nucleus.
That's not how ionization energy is defined, both in the problem statement and in general. So you're off on a tangent already.
Since the charge distribution is spherical symmetric I was thinking that I can use Maxwells first equation to calculate the E-field using Gauss law.
$$
\oint \textbf{E}\cdot d\textbf{a} = \frac{1}{\epsilon_0}\int \rho(\vec{r})dV
$$
good except you're forgetting something ...
From this I get that
$$
4\pi r^2 E(r) = \frac{4\pi}{\epsilon_0}\int_0^r -\dfrac{\left|Q\right|}{\pi a^2 r^\prime}exp(-2r^\prime/a) r^{\prime 2}dr^\prime
$$
plus what you forgot. Where did the 4π on the rhs come from?
Now comes the big problem. When I'm going to calculate the work it takes to move the nucleus out to infinity I get an integral that diverges.
Bad move - see top of my commentary.

Hint: how much energy to remove 1 electron to ∞ in the presence of the charge distribution consisting of the protons & electrons? You made a good move to consider Gauss, stick with it.

Last edited:
Upon further examination I don't like the way the problem is stated. What is "the" electron? The problem seems to suggest an atom with many protons and electrons - enough to enable a continuous charge distribution expression for ρ, then it doesn't state where the ionized electron is first located. It can't be located at the proton since that would imply infinite ionization energy.

So maybe we should assume one proton and one electron effectively situated at some mean position r0 which could be computed from the given charge density function. The answer does not include the electronic charge (1.6e-19C) which it must unless Q is the electronic charge.

I think the problem statement needs to be clarified.

1. What is ionization energy?

Ionization energy is the amount of energy required to remove an electron from an atom or molecule, resulting in the formation of an ion.

2. Why is it important to know the ionization energy of an atom?

The ionization energy of an atom can provide valuable information about its chemical and physical properties, such as reactivity and stability. It is also used to predict the behavior of atoms in chemical reactions.

3. How is the ionization energy of an atom measured?

The ionization energy of an atom is typically measured by bombarding a sample of the atom with high-energy particles and measuring the energy required to remove an electron from the atom.

4. What factors affect the ionization energy of an atom?

The ionization energy of an atom is affected by the number of protons in its nucleus, the distance between the electron and the nucleus, and the amount of shielding from other electrons in the atom.

5. Can the ionization energy of an atom be predicted?

Yes, the ionization energy of an atom can be predicted using the periodic trends of the elements. Generally, ionization energy increases as you move from left to right across a period and decreases as you move down a group in the periodic table.