I want to refresh my Precalculus using James Stewart's book but I got a question

In summary, if you want to refresh your Precalculus using James Stewart's book, you should do the exercises at the end of each chapter, and try one from each category. However, if you are struggling, the first 4 questions may not be enough, and you should look for a student solution manual.
CharlieTan84
Hello people,

I want to refresh my Precalculus using James Stewart's book but I got a question about the exercises. I have bought the book and I will self study it. Do you think I should do all the exercises at the end of the chapters? How do you self study a book?

I am waiting for your answers friends.

Have a nice day!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to practice, do examples...Read the text too, if you are unsure about why things work the way they do

Hello Travis_King thanks for the answer.
I will definitely do the exercises but there are many of them. Is there a website which shows the most important exercises?

Just pick a few problems from each section, if you can do them easily, move on. If you struggle some, do more problems. Just do problems until you are comfortable.

I don't know about the pre-calc book, but with his calculus books I usually recommend skimming 1-5. These are usually general understanding questions that you should be able to know the answer to without doing calculations.

Then look at the heading. His questions are usually broken up into different style questions with the "real" questions being the last 5 or 10. I would try one from each category and if they seem easy try one or two of the last few questions. The higher number questions will take a while, but you will get more out of them. HOWEVER, if you are struggling, they will just make you want to quit math.

My only warning, don't do just the first 4 questions and assume you understand it all. In his calculus books, he does a very good job of making the problems progressively harder.

edit: There is probably a student solution manual that will be very helpful if you have no help other than the book.

Last edited:
you "have" a question.

1. How can I access James Stewart's Precalculus book?

You can purchase the book from online retailers or borrow it from a library. You can also access it through online platforms like Google Books or Kindle.

2. Is James Stewart's book a good resource for refreshing my Precalculus skills?

Yes, James Stewart's Precalculus book is a highly recommended resource for refreshing your knowledge in Precalculus. It covers all the essential topics and provides clear explanations and examples.

3. Are there any online resources that can supplement James Stewart's book?

Yes, there are many online resources available such as video tutorials, practice problems, and study guides that can supplement your learning from James Stewart's book. Some examples include Khan Academy, MathHelp.com, and Paul's Online Notes.

4. How can I make the most out of using James Stewart's book to refresh my Precalculus skills?

One way to make the most out of using James Stewart's book is to actively engage with the material. This can include taking notes, practicing problems, and seeking help when needed. Additionally, it can be helpful to set a study schedule and stick to it to ensure consistent progress.

5. Is James Stewart's book suitable for all levels of Precalculus knowledge?

Yes, James Stewart's Precalculus book is suitable for all levels of knowledge. It covers both basic and advanced topics, making it a comprehensive resource for both beginners and those looking to refresh their skills. It also includes review sections for foundational concepts.