Calculate Pressure in a Star at Center

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of pressure at the center of a star using the density function and equations for gravitational attraction and pressure. The attempt at a solution involves finding the pressure using the mass and radius, but a limiting procedure was skipped, resulting in an infinite value. It is suggested to integrate the mass function first before calculating the pressure. It is also noted that the structure equation can only be integrated exactly for a few cases, and in most situations, numerical integration is necessary.
Irid

Homework Statement

Given the density function [tex]\rho = \rho(r)[/tex] calculate the pressure at the center of a star.

Homework Equations

[tex]F = \frac{GMm}{r^2}[/tex]

[tex]P = \frac{\Delta F}{\Delta A}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Choose some radius [tex]r[/tex]. Then the gravitational attraction there is

[tex]\Delta F = \frac{GM(r) \Delta m}{r^2}[/tex]

and the resulting pressure is

[tex]P = \frac{\Delta F}{\Delta A} = \frac{GM(r)}{r^2} \frac{\Delta m}{\Delta A}[/tex].

We can interpret [tex]\Delta m[/tex] as the total mass above radius [tex]r[/tex] and [tex]A[/tex] as the area of the sphere at that radius. Then

[tex]P = \frac{GM(r) [M_0-M(r)]}{4\pi r^4}[/tex].

Near the center

[tex]\frac{M(0)}{4\pi r^3} \approx \rho_c/3[/tex]

and so

[tex]P(0) \approx \frac{G\rho _c M_0}{3r} \rightarrow \infty[/tex].

Where's my error?

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't you need to bring in the density function [tex] \rho(r)[/tex] into this in order to deal with M(r)? It seems a bit mysterious how you got a result out of

[tex]
P = \frac{GM(r) [M_0-M(r)]}{4\pi r^4}[/tex]

I didn't get a result, I got an infinity, which I don't like. I skipped a limiting procedure in my derivation. Since I'm looking for the pressure at the center, very near to the center I can assume that density is constant with value [tex]\rho_c[/tex], so the mass out to a small radius [tex]\Delta r[/tex] is

[tex]M(\Delta r) \approx \rho_0 4\pi/3 (\Delta r)^3[/tex]

If you plug this in, there remains one more power of a small [tex]\Delta r[/tex] which causes the infinity.

The relevant equations are dP/dr=-GM(r)*rho(r)/r^2, where dM(r)/dr=4*pi*r^2*rho(r) and M(r) is the total mass contained within radius r. So you can see immediately that dP/dr -> 0 as r -> 0. So there's no singularity at the origin. But to get the central pressure you have to integrate the M(r) first and then do the integral to get the pressure. I don't think you get get it by using only the total mass and properties at the center.

I can confirm that an approach working from

[tex]P = \frac{GM(r) [M_0-M(r)]}{4\pi r^4}[/tex]

confuses the issue. The appearance of a singularity is only due to the fact that the M_0-M(r) is concealing a factor of r^3 (M_0 is not just a constant), so the dimensions for the quotient are [tex]G\rho^{2}r^{2}[/tex], which has units of pressure.

The structure equation

[tex]\frac{dP}{dr} = -\frac{GM(r)\rho(r)}{r^2}[/tex]

can only be integrated exactly for a handful of cases, unfortunately, so there are only a few simple models where you can calculate a straightforward result for the central pressure. In realistic situations, the integration is performed numerically.

1. How is pressure calculated in the center of a star?

The pressure in the center of a star is calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that pressure is equal to the product of the number of gas particles, the temperature, and the Boltzmann constant divided by the volume of the star's core.

2. What factors affect the pressure in the center of a star?

The pressure in the center of a star is affected by the temperature and density of the star's core. As the temperature increases, the pressure also increases. However, as the density increases, the pressure decreases.

3. How do scientists determine the temperature and density at the center of a star?

Scientists use a variety of techniques and models to determine the temperature and density at the center of a star. These include spectroscopy, which analyzes the light emitted by the star, and simulations using computer models.

4. Can pressure be negative in the center of a star?

No, pressure cannot be negative in the center of a star. This is because pressure is a measure of the force exerted by gas particles on the walls of the star's core, and it cannot be negative. However, pressure can be zero if the temperature and density are both very low.

5. How does the pressure in the center of a star affect its structure and lifespan?

The pressure in the center of a star is crucial for maintaining the balance between the inward pull of gravity and the outward force of nuclear fusion. If the pressure is too low, the star will collapse under its own gravity, and if it is too high, the star will expand and eventually dissipate. The pressure also affects the lifetime of a star, as it determines how long the star can sustain nuclear fusion reactions in its core.