Calculating a star's density profile

• Thread starter Angela G
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Density
In summary: I replaced M with ## \rho V ## and then\frac{1}{r}\frac{d}{dr}\left(\frac{r}{\rho}\frac{dp}{dr}\right) = -4\pi G \rho.As the density is not uniform, the mass of the star is given by M = 4\pi\int_0^R \rho(r) r^2\,dr rather than M= (4/3)\pi R^3, which holds only for a uniform density.
Angela G
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
Homework Statement
Hello!

I am trying to solve this problem but I'm struggling with it, could someone please help me?

The exercise is

A star with density profile: $$ \rho = \rho_c \left( 1- \frac{r^2}{R^2}\right)$$

a) What is the central pressure ##P_c## and the central temperature ##T_c## in terms of M and the ## \rho_c##?

b) What is the pressure profile ## P(r)## and the temperature profile ## T(r) ## in terms of ##P_c##, ##T_c## in addition to r and R

c) What is the value of ## \alpha## in the expression for the total gravitational energy $$ \Omega = - \frac{\alpha GM^2}{R}$$
Relevant Equations
$$\frac{d P}{d r} = - \frac{\rho Gm}{r^2}$$
$$ P = \frac{\rho k T}{\mu m_H}$$
$$ \Omega = - \int_0^M \frac{G m dm}{r} $$
to solve a) I used The equation of hydrostatic equilibrium $$ \frac{d P}{d r} = - \rho \frac{GM}{r^2} \iff dP = - \rho \frac{GM}{r^2}dr \Longrightarrow \int_{P_c}^0 dP = - \int_0^R \rho \frac{GM}{r^2} dr $$
I replaced M as ## \rho V ## and then
I integrated both the left and right-hand sides and got at the left-hand side ## - P_c##, But I'm stuck on the right-hand side. I calculated it and got $$ - \frac{4 \cdot 8 \pi}{3 \cdot 15} G \rho_c^2 R $$
I was thinking to replace R with the definition of density ## \rho = \frac{ 3M} { 4 \pi R^3} ## But I'm not sure how to proceed, some ideas?

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
The density profile is given as [tex]
\rho(r) = \rho_c\left(1 - \frac{r^2}{R^2}\right).[/tex] This is not uniform.

You have to start from the equation of hydrostatic equilibrium in the form [tex]
\frac{dp}{dr} = -\rho(r) \frac{d\chi}{dr}[/tex] where the gravitational potential [itex]\chi[/itex] satisfies [tex]
\frac{1}{r}\frac{d}{dr}\left(r\frac{d \chi}{dr}\right) = 4 \pi G \rho.[/tex] Multiplying the first equation by [itex]r/\rho[/itex] and differentiating with respect to [itex]r[/itex] yields [tex]
\frac{1}{r}\frac{d}{dr}\left(\frac{r}{\rho}\frac{dp}{dr}\right) = -4\pi G \rho.[/tex] As the density is not uniform, the mass of the star is given by [tex]
M = 4\pi\int_0^R \rho(r) r^2\,dr[/tex] rather than [itex]M= (4/3)\pi R^3[/itex], which holds only for a uniform density.

I assume you have some equation of state which relates pressure, density and temperature. It would have been helpful to include that as a relevant equation.

• Informative
Likes Delta2, Angela G and berkeman
pasmith said:
The density profile is given as [tex]
\rho(r) = \rho_c\left(1 - \frac{r^2}{R^2}\right).[/tex] This is not uniform.

You have to start from the equation of hydrostatic equilibrium in the form [tex]
\frac{dp}{dr} = -\rho(r) \frac{d\chi}{dr}[/tex] where the gravitational potential [itex]\chi[/itex] satisfies [tex]
\frac{1}{r}\frac{d}{dr}\left(r\frac{d \chi}{dr}\right) = 4 \pi G \rho.[/tex] Multiplying the first equation by [itex]r/\rho[/itex] and differentiating with respect to [itex]r[/itex] yields [tex]
\frac{1}{r}\frac{d}{dr}\left(\frac{r}{\rho}\frac{dp}{dr}\right) = -4\pi G \rho.[/tex] As the density is not uniform, the mass of the star is given by [tex]
M = 4\pi\int_0^R \rho(r) r^2\,dr[/tex] rather than [itex]M= (4/3)\pi R^3[/itex], which holds only for a uniform density.

I assume you have some equation of state which relates pressure, density and temperature. It would have been helpful to include that as a relevant equation.
yes, I'm sorry
For solving a) I have to do it with the hydrostatic equilibrium equation, to determine the pressure and to determine the temperature I have to use the expression I got from the pressure and use the ideal gas law ## P = \frac{\rho k T}{\mu m_H}##, for solving c) I think I should use the $$ \Omega = - \int_0^M \frac{G m dm}{r}$$ and then replace m with ## m = \rho V \Longrightarrow \frac{dm}{dr} = \frac{\rho}{dr} \frac{ dV}{dr} ##. I think this is the way to solve it because I did so in the last exercise, but in that case, the central density was ## \rho_c = \rho ##, so the mass could be replaced by ## \rho V(r) ##. but I will try your way, but I think I need a little more guidance because I do not understand that with the gravitational potential, I'm sorry that was a new sign😅😅

edit: I think I understood, thanks

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
pasmith said:
the gravitational potential [itex]\chi[/itex] satisfies [tex]
\frac{1}{r}\frac{d}{dr}\left(r\frac{d \chi}{dr}\right) = 4 \pi G \rho.[/tex]
For spherical coordinates, I think the left-hand side should be
[tex]
\frac{1}{r^2}\frac{d}{dr}\left(r^2\frac{d \chi}{dr}\right) = 4 \pi G \rho.[/tex]

Likes pasmith

1. What is a star's density profile?

A star's density profile is a representation of the distribution of mass within the star. It shows how the density of the star changes as you move from its center to its outer layers.

2. How is a star's density profile calculated?

A star's density profile is calculated by measuring the star's mass and radius, and then using mathematical equations to determine the density at different points within the star. This can also be done by studying the star's internal structure and composition.

3. Why is calculating a star's density profile important?

Calculating a star's density profile is important because it provides valuable information about the star's internal structure and composition. This information can help us better understand the physical processes that occur within stars and how they evolve over time.

4. What factors can affect a star's density profile?

A star's density profile can be affected by a variety of factors, including its mass, age, and composition. The presence of magnetic fields, rotation, and other external forces can also impact a star's density profile.

5. How do scientists use a star's density profile in their research?

Scientists use a star's density profile to study the formation, evolution, and death of stars. It can also be used to classify different types of stars and to make predictions about their future behavior.