How Do You Perform a 90 Degree Rotation of a Complex Number Around a Point?

In summary, to rotate a point by 45 degrees, multiply by e^(i*theta) and replace the last step with z -> exp(i*theta) z
chaotixmonjuish
I'm reading this book on modern geometry and I was wondering if I'm doing these problems right:

if I'm give a point 2+i and I'm suppose to rotate is 90 degrees

first I move it to the origin

T(z)=z-(2+i)

second, I rotate it

e^(pi/2*i)*z

I'm not sure how to interpret that algebraically

then i replace it

T^-1(z)= z+(2+i)

Am I actually doing this right, the book I'm reading is kind of old and doesn't have many worked examples.

Physics news on Phys.org
A 90 degree rotation is accomplished by multiplication by i.

(2+i)i = 2i -1

then how is a 45 degree rotation accomplished, in the one example (ill type the whole thing out)

rotate by 45 degrees at point i

f(z)=z-i
g(z)=e^(i*pi/4)z= (1+i)z/sqrt(2)
f^-1(z)=(1+i)(z-i)/sqrt(2) + i

which equals

(1+i)z+i*sqrt(2)-i+1/sqrt(2)

Last edited:
I don't understand your notation.

what is f(z) z-i ?

To rotate 45 degrees multiply by e^(i*theta), where theta is in radians.

45 degrees is equal to pi/4 radians.

right, i don't understand how the book's example came out with sqrt(2) at the bottom

oh sorry, i realized that i forgot equal signs

You're notation is still hard to follow. For instance, the letter z is usually used to express a complex number. z = x+iy.

There are some basic tools you need to perform operations on complex numbers.

1 Euler's Equation. [tex]\ e^{i \theta} = cos(\theta) + i sin(\theta) [/tex]

Where [tex]x=cos(\theta)[/tex] and [tex]y= sin(\theta)[/tex], a number in the form [tex]X+iY[/tex] can be expressed in the form [tex]\ Z e^{i \Theta}[/tex].

(In this case 'Z' is a magnitude, a real positive value--so much for conventions.)

X,Y,Z, and theta are all real valued numbers, and Z is positive.

2 Complex Conjugation.

The complex conjugate of [tex]\ X+iY[/tex] is [tex]\ X-iY[/tex].

You just negate the imaginary part to get the complex conjugate.

3 Division.

[tex] c = a+ib [/tex]
[tex] z = x+iy [/tex]

What is the value of c/z expressed in the form X+iY ?

[tex]\frac{c}{z} = \frac{a+ib}{x+iy} [/tex]

Multiply the numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator.

[tex]\frac{c}{z} = \frac{(a+ib)(x-iy)}{(x+iy)(x-iy)}[/tex]

[tex]\ \ \ \ \ \ = \frac{(a+ib)(x-iy)}{x^2 + y^2}[/tex]

[tex]\ \ \ \ \ \ = \frac{(ax+by) + i(bx - ay)}{x^2 + y^2}[/tex]

[tex]\ \ \ \ \ \ = \frac{ax+by}{x^2 + y^2} + i \frac{(bx - ay)}{x^2 + y^2}[/tex]

Last edited:
I'm confused as to what you mean by "rotating a point". Do you mean rotate around the origin? If you mean "rotate the point 2+ i 90 degrees about the origin", you don't need a formula for a general rotation. Rotating the x-axis 90 degrees takes it into the positive y-axis. Rotating the positive y-axis 90 degrees takes it into the negative x-axis. That is, the point (x,y) is rotated into the point (-y, x).

It sounds as though you're trying to rotate the complex plane around the point 2+i, rather than rotating the point 2+i around the origin. In this case you're doing the right thing: Given a complex number z, you first translate so that 2+i is at the origin (ie subtract 2+i) then you rotate by 90 degrees (ie multiply by i) and finally you translate back so that the point 2+i is back where it started. Step-by-step:

z -> z - (2+i)
z -> iz
z -> z + (2+i)

so if you combine all of these into a single mapping you get

z -> iz + 3 - i

You can check that plugging 2+i into this formula just gives you 2+i back.

If you wanted to rotate by an arbitrary angle theta, then you replace step 2 by

z -> exp(i*theta) z

FAQ: How Do You Perform a 90 Degree Rotation of a Complex Number Around a Point?

1. What is a rotation in the complex plane?

A rotation in the complex plane is a transformation that moves a point in the plane around a fixed point called the center of rotation. It is a type of transformation that preserves the distance between points and changes only the direction of the vectors.

2. How is a rotation represented in the complex plane?

A rotation in the complex plane can be represented by a complex number, also known as a rotation factor. This number is typically denoted as z = re, where r is the magnitude of the vector and θ is the angle of rotation in radians.

3. What is the relationship between rotations and complex numbers?

Complex numbers can be thought of as vectors in the complex plane, with the real part representing the horizontal component and the imaginary part representing the vertical component. Rotations in the complex plane can be thought of as multiplying a complex number by a rotation factor, which changes the direction of the vector without changing its magnitude.

4. How do rotations affect the magnitude and angle of a complex number?

When a complex number is rotated in the complex plane, its magnitude remains the same, but its angle changes. This is because rotations only change the direction of the vector, not its length. The magnitude of the complex number can be found using the Pythagorean theorem, while the angle can be calculated using trigonometric functions.

5. What are some real-world applications of rotations in the complex plane?

Rotations in the complex plane have many practical applications, such as in computer graphics and animation, where they are used to rotate objects on a screen. They are also used in engineering and physics to represent and analyze the motion of rotating objects, such as gears and satellites. In mathematics, rotations in the complex plane are used to study and solve problems in geometry, trigonometry, and complex analysis.

Back