LA: Finding a Basis for a Subspace

In summary, finding a basis for the subspace S of R^4 involves writing the given vector as a linear combination of several vectors and determining if they are linearly independent. The dimension of S is equal to the number of linearly independent vectors in the basis.
clope023

Homework Statement

Find a basis for the subspace S of R^4 consisting of all vectors of the form

(a+b, a-b+2c, b, c)^T, where a,b,c are real numbers. What is the dimension of S?

Homework Equations

vectors v1,...,vn from a basis for a vector space iff

i) v1,...,vn are linearly independent
ii) v1,...,vn span V

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm actually not sure how I'd start this problem as most of the basis problems I've been doing have been comparing 2-3 vectors against each other not just one. Would I have to find a vector of scalars in R^4 and find S is both linearly independent and spans R^4 against it? any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try writing the given vector (the one in your post) as a sum of several, with [tex] a, b, c [/tex] as the coefficients of the linear combination. Are the vectors you find linearly independent?

In particular, the zero vector, here (0,0,0,0)T, is in every subspace. For what values of a, b, c is (a+b, a-b+2c, b, c)T equal to the vector?

1. What is a subspace in linear algebra?

A subspace in linear algebra is a subset of a vector space that follows the same rules and properties as the vector space. This means that a subspace must contain the zero vector, be closed under vector addition and scalar multiplication, and have a basis.

2. How is a subspace related to linear independence?

A subspace is related to linear independence because a basis for a subspace is a set of linearly independent vectors. This means that no vector in the basis can be written as a linear combination of the other vectors in the basis.

3. What is the basis for a subspace?

The basis for a subspace is a set of linearly independent vectors that spans the whole subspace. This means that every vector in the subspace can be written as a linear combination of the basis vectors.

4. How can you determine if a set of vectors forms a basis for a subspace?

To determine if a set of vectors forms a basis for a subspace, you can check if the vectors are linearly independent and if they span the whole subspace. This can be done by using the reduced row echelon form of the matrix formed by the vectors, or by using the rank-nullity theorem.

5. What is the difference between a subspace and a vector space?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that follows the same rules and properties as the vector space. However, a vector space is a larger set that contains all possible combinations of vectors, while a subspace is a smaller set that contains only a specific subset of those combinations.