Dine: SUSY, Naturalness, and Landscape

• Thread starter marcus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Susy
In summary: If he cannot express himself without attacking the character of his opponents, it tarnishes his arguments and his stature.In summary, the conversation revolves around a recent paper by Michael Dine discussing the Landscape and its potential predictions for low energy supersymmetry breaking. There is some disagreement between eminent string theorists Michael Douglas and Dine on the exact predictions of the Landscape, with Peter Woit providing commentary and criticism on the subject. Lubos, another prominent physicist, has also joined in the discussion with personal attacks on those who criticize string theory. Overall, it is noted that the established scientists involved in the conversation are behaving civilly, with disagreements being expressed in a respectful manner.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
just out
http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0410201

the tone is fresh, frank, one could even say it has charm

Michael Dine
Supersymmetry, Naturalness, and the Landscape

I don't happen to be a fan of the Landscape and this doesn't make me become one, but I appreciate what Dine has to say and get from it a better understanding of his viewpoint. Hope others also like the paper.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's important that he thinks the statistics of the landscape may make predictions that can bear experimental verification or falsification. Thus the research programs at the forthcoming LHC will likely concern low energy supersymmetry breaking, and that is one of the predictions he offers (that is, he says in a little while the questions about the distribution of parameters over the landscape will be in a sufficient state to allow such predictions). May that day roll on!

More response to the Michael Dine paper

Peter Woit commented today on the Dine paper:

---quote from "Not Even Wrong" blog 21 October---
On the anthropic front, Michael Dine is claiming that maybe the statistical analysis of the landscape will "predict" that supersymmetry breaking is at a low energy scale. The arguments he gives sound to me like a complete joke, and from what I remember Michael Douglas was recently claiming that the same kind of analysis indicated that supersymmetry was broken at a high energy scale. One other funny thing about Dine: he doesn't say that the landscape makes predictions, but that it is "the first predictive framework we have encountered". This is a guy who for nearly twenty years has been giving talks on "superstring phenomenology" and claiming that any day now string theory would make predictions. I wonder why in all of those previous talks he neglected to mention that not only were there no predictions from string theory, there wasn't even a "predictive framework".

Posted by woit at 10:57 PM
---end quote---
http://www.math.columbia.edu/~woit/blog/archives/000097.html

This earlier Woit blog provides a link to the Mike Douglas paper
http://www.math.columbia.edu/~woit/blog/archives/000082.html

Both Douglas and Dine are eminent string theorists and both are making an effort to forecast what will or will not be seen at LHC when it starts up in 2007. Unfortunately their expectations disagree so it seems a bit difficult to sort out at the moment.

Woit's blog for today also reports on a talk by Edward Witten. The part about Dine's paper is at the end.

Last edited:
marcus said:
Peter Woit commented today on the Dine paper:

---quote from "Not Even Wrong" blog 21 October---
On the anthropic front, Michael Dine is claiming that maybe the statistical analysis of the landscape will "predict" that supersymmetry breaking is at a low energy scale. The arguments he gives sound to me like a complete joke, and from what I remember Michael Douglas was recently claiming that the same kind of analysis indicated that supersymmetry was broken at a high energy scale. One other funny thing about Dine: he doesn't say that the landscape makes predictions, but that it is "the first predictive framework we have encountered". This is a guy who for nearly twenty years has been giving talks on "superstring phenomenology" and claiming that any day now string theory would make predictions. I wonder why in all of those previous talks he neglected to mention that not only were there no predictions from string theory, there wasn't even a "predictive framework".

Posted by woit at 10:57 PM
---end quote---
http://www.math.columbia.edu/~woit/blog/archives/000097.html

This earlier Woit blog provides a link to the Mike Douglas paper
http://www.math.columbia.edu/~woit/blog/archives/000082.html

Both Douglas and Dine are eminent string theorists and both are making an effort to forecast what will or will not be seen at LHC when it starts up in 2007. Unfortunately their expectations disagree so it seems a bit difficult to sort out at the moment.

Woit's blog for today also reports on a talk by Edward Witten. The part about Dine's paper is at the end.

Lubos has a comment on this post, in which he excercises his new toy*: calling opponents of string physics "monkey level" thinkers. So nice to see important scientists discussing their differences in such an adult manner.

*He has done this on s.p.r. too.

selfAdjoint said:
... So nice to see important scientists discussing their differences in such an adult manner.

but actually i don't see any important scientists getting down to Lubos level of vituperation, do you?

I am trying to think. Baez is courteous. Lee Smolin is courteous. He has a serious criticism of Landscape-thinking and offers an immediately predictive and falsifiable alternative to Anthropics---but he does so in a civil and reasoned way. Both string Mikes--Douglas and Dine--impress me as affable and forthright. David Gross came across very sympathetically at Kitp25.

Please flag any instances---specific quotes---of scientists of real stature whose behavior is down at the smear tactics level---or the court jester and gadflies level. If i have an unrealistic impression about this, I want to correct it!

My impression is that there is a bunch of unjustified criticism----particularly of loop QG by people who don't know the recent papers and are barking up the wrong trees---but that it is not coming from established, senior scientists. My impression (correct me if I'm wrong) is that the important scientists of whatever stripe are behaving handsomely.

(and Mike Dine's recent paper I thought had real grace----would like to quote some passages---tho personally i may not agree with him)

I think of Lubos as an established scientist, one with stature. He is excellent on theory. I think it's sad to see him stoop to vituperation.

1. What is SUSY and why is it important in the study of particle physics?

SUSY, or Supersymmetry, is a theoretical concept in particle physics that proposes a symmetry between bosons (particles with integer spin) and fermions (particles with half-integer spin). It is important because it provides a potential solution to the hierarchy problem in the Standard Model of particle physics, which deals with the large difference in energy scales between gravity and the other fundamental forces.

2. What is the naturalness problem and how does it relate to SUSY?

The naturalness problem refers to the question of why the fundamental constants of nature, such as the strength of the gravitational force, are so finely tuned to allow for the existence of life and the complex structures in our universe. SUSY offers a possible solution to this problem by introducing new particles that can cancel out the effects of quantum corrections on the Higgs boson mass, making it more natural.

3. What is the landscape in the context of particle physics?

The landscape in particle physics refers to the idea that there may be a large number of possible universes with different fundamental constants and laws of physics. This theory has been proposed to help explain the fine-tuning of our universe and the existence of the anthropic principle, which suggests that our universe is finely tuned for the development of life.

4. How do the concepts of SUSY, naturalness, and the landscape relate to each other?

SUSY and the landscape are two proposed solutions to the naturalness problem in particle physics. SUSY offers a potential solution by introducing new particles to cancel out quantum corrections, while the landscape proposes that our universe is just one of many possible universes with different fundamental constants. Both ideas attempt to explain the fine-tuning of our universe, but they are currently still theoretical and require further evidence and research to be fully understood.

5. What are the current theories and evidence for SUSY, naturalness, and the landscape?

While SUSY and the landscape are widely studied and theorized in the field of particle physics, there is currently no direct evidence or proof for either concept. The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN has been searching for evidence of SUSY since its inception, but so far, no conclusive evidence has been found. Similarly, the landscape theory is still largely debated and lacks concrete evidence. Further research and experimentation are needed to fully understand these concepts and their potential implications for our understanding of the universe.