Fourier series convergence - holder continuity and differentiability

In summary, the discussion focuses on determining the set of points at which the Fourier series for the function f(x) = abs(sqrt(x)) converges. The theorem states that if f(x) is absolutely integrable, then its Fourier series converges at points where f is holder continuous or differentiable. It is proven that f(x) is holder continuous on the interval [-pi,pi], but not differentiable at x=0. There is uncertainty if the holder continuity and differentiability conditions are equivalent or if one can fail while the other holds. The conclusion is that f(x) is holder continuous as long as the exponent in the condition is equal to or less than 1/2.
hlin818

Homework Statement

Given each of the functions f below, describe the set of points at which the Fourier
series converges to f.

b) f(x) = abs(sqrt(x)) for x on [-pi, pi] with f(x+2pi)=f(x)

Homework Equations

Theorem: If f(x) is absolutely integrable, then its Fourier series converges to f at the points where f is also holder continuous or differentiable.

The Attempt at a Solution

I managed to prove that f(x) is holder continuous on [-pi,pi] so by the theorem above since f(x) is absolutely integrable its Fourier series converges to f(x) at every point on this interval. But f(x) is not differentiable at x=0. What did I analyze incorrectly? Or in this context are holder continuity and differentiability not equivalent conditions (i.e. one can fail and the other can hold)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I may be wrong about the holder condition, but it looks to me like f(x) is holder continuous as long as the exponent in the condition is equal to or less than 1/2.

Last edited:
Sorry about the bump, but this question is killing me. I don't feel like the book explained this convergence criteria well at all.

Last edited:
final bump

Related to Fourier series convergence - holder continuity and differentiability

1. What is a Fourier series and why is it important?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions. It is important because it allows us to approximate complex functions with simpler trigonometric functions, making it easier to analyze and solve problems in mathematics, engineering, and physics.

2. What does it mean for a Fourier series to converge?

A Fourier series converges if the sum of the series approaches the original function as the number of terms in the series increases. In other words, as we add more terms to the series, it gets closer and closer to the original function.

3. What is Holder continuity and why is it important in relation to Fourier series convergence?

Holder continuity is a measure of how smooth or continuous a function is. It is important in relation to Fourier series convergence because for a Fourier series to converge, the function must be Holder continuous, meaning it cannot have any abrupt changes or discontinuities.

4. Can a Fourier series converge to a non-differentiable function?

Yes, it is possible for a Fourier series to converge to a function that is not differentiable. This is because Fourier series are based on trigonometric functions, which are continuous but not necessarily differentiable at all points.

5. How do you determine the convergence of a Fourier series?

The convergence of a Fourier series can be determined by using various convergence tests, such as the Dirichlet test or the Weierstrass M-test. Additionally, the smoothness of the function can also be used to determine its convergence. A function that is not Holder continuous will not have a convergent Fourier series.