Quantum Entanglement inside & outside Event Horizon

In summary, it is said nothing can escape the Event Horizon, not even light. However, an entangled pair that is inside the event horizon and outside it would still be entangled such that they still form correlations.
stglyde
It is said nothing can escape the Event Horizon, not even light. How about an entangled pair that is inside the event horizon and outside it. Would they still be entangled such that they still form correlations?

Physics news on Phys.org
yes, they are entangled, but there's no way to find out whether they are entangled or not based on experiments outside the horizon only; detecting entanglement requires non-local experiments, i.e. measuring both 'particles' and exchanging information regarding the results; this exchange is not possible in the presence of the event horizon, therefore we are not able to learn about the presence of a second particle inside the event horizon and whether the two 'particles' are entangled or not

an idea would be to try to understand this from the perspecive of an observer inside the event horizon; for this observer entanglement should be verifiable / falsifiable b/c he can receive information from the outside

Last edited:
tom.stoer said:
yes, they are entangled, but there's no way to find out whether they are entangled or not;
Actually, there is. First measure the outside particle, and then jump into to black hole to measure the inside one. Of course, after the measurement you will crash into the black-hole singularity (or whatever sits in the black-hole center), but at least you will die happy knowing that the horizon does not destroy the correlations.

Demystifier said:
Actually, there is. First measure the outside particle, and then jump into to black hole to measure the inside one. Of course, after the measurement you will crash into the black-hole singularity (or whatever sits in the black-hole center), but at least you will die happy knowing that the horizon does not destroy the correlations.

You are right; this is what I mean by

tom.stoer said:
an idea would be to try to understand this from the perspecive of an observer inside the event horizon; for this observer entanglement should be verifiable / falsifiable b/c he can receive information from the outside

I corrected my post above

Demystifier said:
I imagine that the impact factor of the resulting manuscript would be rather low, even if you took some peer-reviewers along with you.

DaleSpam said:
I imagine that the impact factor of the resulting manuscript would be rather low, even if you took some peer-reviewers along with you.
In order to get the paper written and peer-reviewed before spaghettification the black hole has to be rather large

DaleSpam said:
Unless you use superluminal neutrinos to send information OUT of the black hole. :tongue:

tom.stoer said:
In order to get the paper written and peer-reviewed before spaghettification the black hole has to be rather large
I believe the black hole in the center of our galaxy would be large enough.

I have to check the formulas for free-fall starting at the event horizon; peer review could be OK but 'publication' becomes rather obscure ;-)

tom.stoer said:
And even still, I hear the tidal forces inside will tear you apart pretty rapidly.

That said, don't take my word for it, my mate told me. Presumably he went there over the summer or something.EDIT: Wait, they'd probably squish you actually, wouldn't they?

1. What is quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in which two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other, regardless of the distance between them.

2. How is quantum entanglement related to event horizons?

Quantum entanglement can occur both inside and outside of event horizons, which are the boundary of a black hole where the escape velocity exceeds the speed of light. The entanglement between particles inside and outside the event horizon can affect the behavior of matter and energy around a black hole.

3. Can quantum entanglement exist inside an event horizon?

Yes, quantum entanglement can exist inside an event horizon. However, once a particle crosses the event horizon, it is no longer possible to observe its state or measure its entanglement with other particles outside the event horizon.

4. How does quantum entanglement inside an event horizon affect Hawking radiation?

Hawking radiation is a theoretical type of radiation emitted by black holes due to the quantum effects near the event horizon. Quantum entanglement inside and outside the event horizon can impact the rate and characteristics of Hawking radiation, potentially altering our understanding of this phenomenon.

5. What are the implications of quantum entanglement inside and outside event horizons for our understanding of the universe?

The study of quantum entanglement inside and outside event horizons is still in its early stages, but it has the potential to greatly enhance our understanding of black holes, gravity, and the fundamental laws of the universe. It may also have practical applications in quantum computing and communication technologies.