Power consumed by heaters connected in series

In summary, the conversation discusses the power rating of a 1480 W heater when connected to an AC voltage of 120V. The question asks for the power consumed by two of these heaters connected in series, and the person seeking assistance mentions their initial guess was incorrect. They are then prompted to consider equations relating voltage to power and the fact that voltage is split when components are connected in series.
dmolson

Homework Statement

Q20-9. The power rating of a 1480 W heater specifies the power consumed when the heater is connected to an ac voltage of 120V. What is the power consumed by two of these heaters connected in series, connected to the same voltage?

I am a little new to the electricity field of physics, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
My first guess was that the power would be twice as much, but that is incorrect (2960 W)

Physics news on Phys.org
What equations do you know that relate voltage to power? Did you know that when in series the voltage is split between the components.

because the voltage would be the same but the current would be cut in half (120V/2 = 60V).

Thank you for reaching out for assistance. As you mentioned, the power consumed by two heaters connected in series would not be twice as much, but rather the same as a single heater. This is because when connected in series, the voltage across each heater remains the same (120V in this case), but the current is divided between the two heaters. Therefore, the total power consumed by the two heaters would be 1480 W, the same as a single heater. This can be calculated using the formula P = VI, where P is power, V is voltage, and I is current. In this case, P = 120V x 120V/120V = 1480 W. I hope this helps clarify the concept for you. Keep up the good work in your studies!

1. What is the formula for calculating the total power consumed by heaters connected in series?

The formula for calculating the total power consumed by heaters connected in series is P = V*I, where P is the total power consumed, V is the voltage across the heaters, and I is the current flowing through the heaters.

2. How do heaters connected in series affect the overall power consumption?

Heaters connected in series have a cumulative effect on power consumption. This means that the total power consumed by the heaters will increase as more heaters are added in series. This is because the current remains constant in a series circuit, and each heater will contribute to the overall resistance, resulting in a higher power consumption.

3. Can the power consumed by heaters connected in series be greater than the power supply?

Yes, the power consumed by heaters connected in series can be greater than the power supply. This is because the total power consumed by the heaters is equal to the sum of individual powers, which can exceed the power supply if too many heaters are connected in series.

4. Is it more efficient to connect heaters in series or in parallel?

Connecting heaters in parallel is more efficient as it allows for each heater to receive the full voltage of the power supply, resulting in a higher overall power consumption. In contrast, connecting heaters in series results in a lower overall power consumption as the voltage is divided among the heaters.

5. How do the resistance and power consumption of heaters connected in series change with temperature?

The resistance and power consumption of heaters connected in series increase with temperature. This is because the resistance of most materials increases as they are heated, resulting in a decrease in current and an increase in power consumption for heaters connected in series.