Power rating of a heater in the same outlet as a hair dryer

In summary, the power rating of the heater plugged into the same 120-V AC outlet as an 800-W hair dryer can be calculated by finding the difference between the total rms current drawn (16.7A) and the rms current of the hair dryer (6.67A), which results in 10.03A. Using the equation Pav=εrmsIrms, the power rating of the heater is found to be 1203.6W.
OmegaFury

Homework Statement

A heater is plugged into the same 120-V AC outlet as an 800-W hair dryer. If the total rms current drawn is 16.7A, then calculate the power rating of the heater.

Homework Equations

Pav=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]I2peakR

The Attempt at a Solution

Irms=Ipeak/[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]
So, Ipeak=16.7A x [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]
Solving for R in the Pav equation: 2Pav/I2peak=R
(2 x 800W)/(16.7A x [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex])2= 2.87 ohms.

I'm assuming that in an outlet, the heater and the dryer are in parallel, so V=V1=V2 and Itotal=I1+I2
Using ohms law V/R=I, 120V/2.86 ohms= 41.81 A. Since this is too high, I know I'm looking at this problem completely wrong. I wanted to use that to find I2, solve for R, and find the power of the heater.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you can avoid the average and peak conversions and stick to rms values.

What's the rms current drawn by the hair dryer if it uses 800W at 120V (rms)?

Okay, so I use PavrmsIrms
Pavrms=800W/120V=6.67A. The rms current of the heater would be 16.7A-6.67A= 10.03A. Thus, the power rating of the heater would be 120V x 10.03A= 1203.6W. Is that correct?

OmegaFury said:
Okay, so I use PavrmsIrms
Pavrms=800W/120V=6.67A. The rms current of the heater would be 16.7A-6.67A= 10.03A. Thus, the power rating of the heater would be 120V x 10.03A= 1203.6W. Is that correct?

It looks good :smile:

Thanks for the help :smile:

1. What is a power rating and how is it measured?

A power rating is the measurement of the amount of electrical energy consumed by a device, typically expressed in watts (W). It is calculated by multiplying the voltage (V) by the current (I) of the device. In the case of a heater or hair dryer, the power rating would be listed on the label or product specifications.

2. Can I use a heater and a hair dryer at the same time in the same outlet?

It is not recommended to use a heater and hair dryer at the same time in the same outlet, as both devices have high power ratings and can overload the circuit. This can cause a circuit breaker to trip or even lead to an electrical fire. It is best to use them in separate outlets or use a power strip with a built-in circuit breaker.

3. How does the power rating of a heater compare to that of a hair dryer?

The power rating of a heater is typically higher than that of a hair dryer. This is because heaters are designed to produce more heat over a longer period of time, while hair dryers are meant to quickly blow air at a specific temperature. Therefore, a heater may consume more electrical energy and have a higher power rating than a hair dryer.

4. What happens if I plug a heater with a higher power rating into an outlet designed for a hair dryer?

If you plug a heater with a higher power rating into an outlet designed for a hair dryer, it can potentially overload the circuit and cause it to trip. This can also damage the outlet and the electrical wiring in your home. It is important to always check the power rating of a device and make sure it is compatible with the outlet you are using.

5. Is it safe to use a heater and a hair dryer in the same room?

It is generally safe to use a heater and a hair dryer in the same room, as long as they are not being used at the same time. However, it is important to follow safety precautions and not overload the circuit. It is also recommended to keep the devices at a safe distance from each other and do not use them near any flammable materials.