Researching Torque, Current and Flux Density

In summary, researching torque, current, and flux density involves understanding the relationship between these three electrical properties. Torque is the measure of rotational force, while current is the flow of electrical charge. Flux density is a measure of the strength of the magnetic field. By studying these properties, researchers can better understand the behavior of electromagnetic systems, such as motors and generators. They can also use this knowledge to improve the efficiency and performance of these systems. Additionally, the study of torque, current, and flux density is essential in the development of renewable energy technologies, as it allows for the optimization of power generation and distribution.
monkeyhead

Homework Statement

For this question you must research, to help you with working out your answer
a) A dc motor develops a torque of 600Nm when its armature carries a current of 30 Amperes. Predict the torque that will be developed when a 12% increase in flux density has taken place and the armaure current is increased to 35 amperes.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have to admit, I'm pretty stumped for this one! I have no clue on what formula links torque,current and flux density together what so ever. I'd imagine that there must be some sort of formula linking all those together right?
I'm not asking for someone to solve this for me but I would gladly appreciate a push in the right direction into where I should be looking! Any suggestions much appreciated
Many thanks
Matt

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Matt,

I can definitely help you out with this question. Let's start by breaking down the problem and looking at the variables involved.

First, we have torque, which is a measure of rotational force. It is represented by the symbol "T" and is measured in units of Newton-meters (Nm).

Next, we have current, which is the flow of electric charge. It is represented by the symbol "I" and is measured in units of Amperes (A).

Lastly, we have flux density, which is a measure of the strength of a magnetic field. It is represented by the symbol "B" and is measured in units of Tesla (T).

Now, let's take a look at the relationship between these variables. According to the equation for torque in a DC motor, the torque (T) is equal to the product of the magnetic field strength (B) and the current (I), multiplied by the radius of the motor's armature (r). This can be represented as: T = B*I*r.

Therefore, if we want to predict the new torque (T') after a 12% increase in flux density (B'), and an increase in the current to 35 Amperes (I'), we can use the following equation:

T' = B' * I' * r

We already know that the original torque (T) was 600 Nm and the original current (I) was 30 Amperes. So, let's plug these values into the equation and solve for B' (flux density after the 12% increase):

600 Nm = B' * 30 A * r

B' = 600 Nm / (30 A * r)

B' = 20 Nm/A*r

Now, we can use this value for B' in our original equation to find the new torque (T'):

T' = (20 Nm/A*r) * 35 A * r

T' = 700 Nm

Therefore, the predicted torque after the 12% increase in flux density and an increase in current to 35 Amperes is 700 Nm.

I hope this helps to clarify the relationship between torque, current, and flux density and how to use it in a problem like this. Good luck with your research!

What is torque and how does it relate to current and flux density?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. In the context of researching torque, current, and flux density, torque is directly related to the strength of the magnetic field, which is determined by the amount of current flowing through a conductor and the density of the flux lines in that magnetic field.

Why is it important to research torque, current, and flux density?

Understanding the relationship between torque, current, and flux density is crucial in many fields, including electrical engineering and physics. It allows for the design and optimization of motors, generators, and other electromagnetic devices, as well as the analysis of their performance.

What factors affect torque, current, and flux density?

The strength of the magnetic field, which is determined by the amount of current flowing through a conductor and the density of the flux lines, is the main factor that affects torque, current, and flux density. Other factors include the shape and size of the conductor, the material it is made of, and the external environment.

How do you measure torque, current, and flux density in a research setting?

Torque can be measured using a torque wrench or a dynamometer, while current can be measured using an ammeter. Flux density can be measured using a gaussmeter or a fluxgate magnetometer. These measurements are crucial in understanding the behavior and performance of electromagnetic devices.

What are some applications of torque, current, and flux density research?

Research on torque, current, and flux density has many practical applications, including the design and optimization of electric motors, generators, transformers, and other electromagnetic devices. It is also important in the development of renewable energy technologies such as wind turbines and hydroelectric generators.