The magnetic flux density at point P between parallel wires

In summary, the problem involves calculating the magnetic flux density at point P, which is equidistant from two parallel wires carrying currents of 15 A and 32 A in opposite directions. The distance between the wires is 5.3 cm and the magnetic constant is given. Using the right-hand rule, the direction of the magnetic flux density can be determined and the total flux density at point P is found to be 0.17 mT. However, the correct answer is 0.19 mT, which can be obtained by adding the flux density vectors directly without resolving them into components.
whatdoido

Homework Statement

In the picture at points A and B are two thin parallel wires, where traveling currents are 15 A and 32 A to opposite directions. The distance between wires is 5.3 cm. Point's P distances from A and B are the same. Calculate the magnetic flux density at point P.
magndens1.png

Homework Equations

##B=\mu_0\frac{I}{2\pi r}##

The Attempt at a Solution

##I_1=15A##
##I_2=32A##
##x=5.3cm=0.053m##
##\mu_0=4\pi *10^-7 Tm/A##

I solved length L with Pythagorean equation

##L^2+L^2=x^2##

##L=\frac{x}{\sqrt{2}}##

With right-hand-rule the directions of magnetic flux density can be deduced. The magnetic flux density at point P generated from point B is to the direction of point A. From point A the generated magnetic flux density at point P is towards point B.

magndens2.png

To add both ##B_B## and ##B_A## they need to be turned downward by ##\theta## which is ##\theta=\frac{90^o}{2}=45^o##. This should be reasonable, right? The total magnetic flux density at point P is then:

##B_{total}=sin\theta B_B+sin\theta B_A=sin\theta\mu_0\frac{I_1}{2\pi \frac{x}{\sqrt{2}}}+sin\theta\mu_0\frac{I_2}{2\pi \frac{x}{\sqrt{2}}}=sin\theta(I_1+I_2)\frac{\mu_0}{\sqrt{2}\pi x}=1.773...*10^-4 T \approx 0.17mT##

This problem is from a book and it gives answer 0.19mT. I checked multiple times where I could have made a mistake but I cannot find it. The calculation is rather straightforward so there is not much to check. Thus it looks like there is some conceptual error? Thanks for reading and any help is appreciated

Attachments

• magndens1.png
    magndens1.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 923
  • magndens2.png
    magndens2.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 795
Physics news on Phys.org
whatdoido said:
To add both ##B_B## and ##B_A## they need to be turned downward by θ
That will give you the PX component of each, but since they are of different magnitudes their resultant also has an AB component.
Since the two flux density vectors are orthogonal, it is much simpler to add them without resolving into PX and AB components.

Okay simply with Pythagorean style:

##B_{total}=\sqrt{B_B^2+B_A^2}=\sqrt{(\frac{μ_0 I_1}{√2πx})^2+(\frac{μ_0 I_2}{√2πx})^2}=1.886...*10^{-4} T \approx 0.19mT##

Thanks!

Last edited:

1. What is the magnetic flux density at point P between parallel wires?

The magnetic flux density at point P between parallel wires is the measure of the strength of the magnetic field at that point, which is created by the current flowing through the wires.

2. How is the magnetic flux density at point P between parallel wires calculated?

The magnetic flux density at point P between parallel wires can be calculated using the equation B = μ0 * I / (2π * d), where B is the magnetic flux density, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current in the wires, and d is the distance between the wires.

3. How does the distance between the parallel wires affect the magnetic flux density at point P?

The magnetic flux density at point P is inversely proportional to the distance between the parallel wires. This means that as the distance between the wires decreases, the magnetic flux density at point P increases, and vice versa.

4. What factors affect the magnetic flux density at point P between parallel wires?

The magnetic flux density at point P is affected by the strength of the current flowing through the wires, the distance between the wires, and the permeability of the material between the wires.

5. How can the magnetic flux density at point P between parallel wires be used in practical applications?

The magnetic flux density at point P between parallel wires is used in various applications such as inductors, transformers, and motors. It is also important in understanding the behavior of magnetic materials and how they can be used in technology.