Move one, How long does it take for another one to move?

• Thread starter luxiaolei
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around the problem of how fast a field travels, specifically in relation to gravity and the speed of light. The inquiry also touched on the speed of information and the spread of wavefunctions in space. The consensus is that the speed of gravity is still undetermined, with different theories proposing varying speeds. However, the most widely accepted theory is that it travels at the speed of light. The conversation ended with a request to move the discussion to the special/general relativity section.
luxiaolei
Hi,all, problem:

2 stars, distance is 1 lightyear.

If I move one star, will the other star move 1 year later?

Basically, I want expose the problem that, how fast does a field travel.

Thanks In advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
luxiaolei said:
Hi,all, problem:

2 stars, distance is 1 lightyear.

If I move one star, will the other star move 1 year later?

Basically, I want expose the problem that, how fast does a field travel.

Thanks In advance!
Are you inquiring about the speed of the propagation of gravity? As far as I know, this is still undertermined. You might find all sorts of answers, from infinite, to 10 times the speed of light, etc.; but I believe the most widely accepted theory at this point in time says that it travels at the speed of light. I will ask the moderators to move this post to the special/general relativity section, if it belongs there.

PhanthomJay said:
Are you inquiring about the speed of the propagation of gravity? As far as I know, this is still undertermined. You might find all sorts of answers, from infinite, to 10 times the speed of light, etc.; but I believe the most widely accepted theory at this point in time says that it travels at the speed of light. I will ask the moderators to move this post to the special/general relativity section, if it belongs there.

Thanks for replay. I am wondering, is the speed of information(field) travel at the speed of light, then about wavefunction sperad all over the space? refer to my another question, see:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=383108

Thanks a lot!

1. How long does it take for another one to move?

The amount of time it takes for another object to move after one object has moved depends on several factors, such as the mass and velocity of the objects, as well as any external forces acting on them. It is not possible to give a specific time frame without knowing these details.

2. Is there a set time for an object to move after another one?

No, there is no set time for an object to move after another one. The time it takes for an object to move is affected by various factors and can vary greatly.

3. Does the distance between objects affect the time it takes for one to move after another?

Yes, the distance between objects can affect the time it takes for one to move after another. The further apart the objects are, the longer it may take for the second object to begin moving.

4. Can two objects move simultaneously?

Yes, it is possible for two objects to move at the same time. This can happen if both objects are experiencing the same external forces or if their movements are coordinated.

5. Is the movement of one object always followed by the movement of another?

No, the movement of one object does not necessarily guarantee the movement of another. This depends on the specific circumstances and forces acting on the objects.