Order and Disorder in Liquid Water: Investigating the Structure of H2O Molecules

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of liquid water having an ordered structure, particularly in terms of hydrogen bonded networks and the presence of voids or vacancies. The context of the conversation is determined by the textbook "Solvents and Solvent Effects in Organic Chemistry" and the cited reference from 1968. The question of whether the diagram presented in the textbook is a realistic representation of water is also raised. It is noted that the structure may be temperature-dependent.
Hyo X
Does liquid water have ordered structure?
I.e., are there significant domains of ordered H2O molecules that maintain crystallinity - translational symmetry - in liquid water at room temperature?
I guess this is essentially a hydrogen bonded network -
How big are these domains? Or are they mostly disordered, closely packed molecules without short-range or medium-range order? Is there a temperature dependence to domain size?

What determines if there are voids or vacancies or free molecules?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Define "order" - how would you tell if it was present or not?
Liquid water is not normally modeled, at room temp, to have any crystalline structure at all.
The presence or otherwise of voids, vacancies, or free molecules is not normally deterministic ... but I suspect the terms you are using could use tightening: what is the context?

Something like this:
http://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/2013/cp/c3cp52271g#!divAbstract

The reason I ask is I found this diagram in a textbook and find it very curious -
Is this a realistic representation of water?

WaterStructure_Christian_Reichardt.jpg

The textbook is "Solvents and Solvent Effects in Organic Chemistry" by Christian Reichardt
The cited reference [9] is [9] R. A. Horne: The Structure of Water and Aqueous Solutions, in A. F. Scott (ed.): Survey of Progress in Chemistry 4, 1 (1968).
But I couldn't find a copy of this reference.

Thanks for your help/opinion

Define "realistic" :smile:

In some ways it is realistic, in some ways it is not.

I would guess this is not room temp. water. This looks like what I imagine freezing/thawing water to look like.

Definitely it must be a matter of temperature.

What is the structure of liquid water?

The structure of liquid water is a unique arrangement of two hydrogen atoms bonded to one oxygen atom. This results in a bent molecular shape, with a slight negative charge on the oxygen atom and a slight positive charge on the hydrogen atoms.

How does the structure of liquid water differ from solid water?

The structure of liquid water is less organized and more fluid compared to solid water. In liquid water, the molecules are constantly moving and shifting, while in solid water (ice), the molecules are locked into a more rigid and orderly structure.

What causes water molecules to form a specific structure in liquid form?

The specific structure of liquid water is a result of the polar covalent bonds between the hydrogen and oxygen atoms. These bonds create a dipole moment, causing the molecules to attract and align with each other in a specific arrangement.

How does the structure of liquid water affect its properties?

The unique structure of liquid water is responsible for many of its properties, such as high surface tension, high boiling point, and low density in its solid form. The bent molecular shape also allows water to form hydrogen bonds, which contribute to its ability to dissolve a wide variety of substances.

Can the structure of liquid water change under different conditions?

Yes, the structure of liquid water can be affected by changes in temperature, pressure, and the presence of other substances. For example, at high pressures, the structure of liquid water can become more organized and dense, while at very low temperatures, it can form a more open and less structured arrangement.