Who Prefers Firefox and Who Prefers IE?

• Thread starter hypnagogue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Firefox
In summary: I just don't see the need to switch. Everything I need is already there, and I don't feel the need to experiment with new software. Safari is a great browser because it:-Has a really simple and easy to use interface-It's really fast-It has a ton of neat plugins-It syncs with your iCloud account so you can easily access your bookmarks and passwords across different devices
hypnagogue
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
OK, it's time we have a thread dedicated to this (with apologies to those who use Safari or Opera or whatever). Who prefers Firefox, who prefers IE, and why? Sorry if this is a bit cliched by now, but it keeps popping up and I'd like to get a definitive read on the matter. (yes Monique, I'm looking at you. :wink:)

I know there was recently a thread about who uses what browsers, but here I'm more interested the two heavyweights, and particularly why people prefer one over the other. From what I've seen, it seems that most people who use IE just use it because they haven't had incentive to try anything else. I was in that boat up until a few months ago, when annoying Java problems forced me to switch (O, serendipity!). IE doesn't seem to offer anything Firefox doesn't, whereas Firefox offers a lot more than IE. So why in the world would anyone use IE, except habit?

Put me down for Firefox for two main reasons (yep, you probably know what they are already).

First, I love that I can customize the browser's functionality with extensions. I can know what the weather's like, control my mp3 player from the browser, zoom in on images without having to download them and use a separate graphics program, save notes on what I'm reading without having to use notepad and keep temporary text files hanging around all the time, highlight a street address and click "Map It!" in the context menu to instantly find its location on a map, highlight a word and use the context menu to instantly look it up in a dictionary search, and much much more! Extensions widen the scope of what the browser can do and make various kinds of searches much easier and faster.

Second, tabbed browsing. I can open a whole bunch of web pages while only having to use one browser window. This makes it so much easier to navigate multiple pages at once, especially for numbers exceeding 3 or 4. No longer do I have to worry about the menu bar at the bottom of the screen filling up with tiny buttons for 10 different pages (or worse, have them all compress into one pull-down type menu), and it's also a lot easier to switch between pages and keep track of what page is where. It's much more efficient, and I'm not compelled to stop looking at a certain page because the clunky interface of having to use a separate window gets in the way of what I want to do.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you pretty much have it.

People use IE because it is what comes with their computer. If firefox came with their computer they would use firefox. The only people who use Firefox are what I would call educated internet users, while Joe Schmoe uses IE.

I personally use firefox because I:
-Love tabbed browsing (w/o it I would probably not be able to live)
-Love the whole adblocking thing (not the extension, but the way you can block out 99% of adds by adding some css, not that the adblock extension is bad)
-Love my mouse gestures
-Love the limitless customization
-I, too, love the weather and music player controls.

Hands down firefox rocks. And MS knows it too, they are now working on an IE 7 beta, which they probably would have not been working one had fx not risen up.

~30 million people use firefox. In my mind that is huge. That is 30 million people who went out of their way to stop using IE.

I used to try a lot of new things with computers, but I'm becoming a creature of habit. I really need to try firefox though...

I use IE, simply because it's guaranteed to be installed on every computer I use (home, work, work). I don't get to choose the software installed on my primary work computer, and certainly not any of the computers I use when I go out on site. It's easier to use the same browser all the time than one at home and a different one at work.

mattmns said:
-Love the whole adblocking thing (not the extension, but the way you can block out 99% of adds by adding some css, not that the adblock extension is bad)
-Love my mouse gestures

Okay, I saw a few of you discussing this the other day, and I have no idea what it is...what are mouse gestures?

I don't use firefox or IE (I'm of the "too lazy to install a browser that didn't come pre-installed on my computer" camp). I stick with Safari. I used to use IE, but it got all wacky with the last upgrade I did, and I decided to see what this other browser on my computer was all about. I think if Safari wasn't pre-installed, I'd have been motivated enough to start trying out other browsers when I switched. But, I hate clutter on my screen (for example, right now I have 5 or 6 pdf's saved on my desktop and they are an eyesore that I need to move to a proper folder), so anything with a nice clean look will keep me happy.

Why do you need the weather on your browser window? Is it so hard to look out the clear glass window to the great outdoors? That's how I know the weather. :tongue:

Moonbear said:
Okay, I saw a few of you discussing this the other day, and I have no idea what it is...what are mouse gestures?

I don't use firefox or IE (I'm of the "too lazy to install a browser that didn't come pre-installed on my computer" camp). I stick with Safari. I used to use IE, but it got all wacky with the last upgrade I did, and I decided to see what this other browser on my computer was all about. I think if Safari wasn't pre-installed, I'd have been motivated enough to start trying out other browsers when I switched. But, I hate clutter on my screen (for example, right now I have 5 or 6 pdf's saved on my desktop and they are an eyesore that I need to move to a proper folder), so anything with a nice clean look will keep me happy.

Why do you need the weather on your browser window? Is it so hard to look out the clear glass window to the great outdoors? That's how I know the weather. :tongue:

I wouldn't use firefox on a mac. The mac firefox developers, I'm sorry to say, didn't integrate FF that well. Keyboard commands are very different (ie going back in history isn't accomplished by hitting the delete key). Camino is a better frontend for the gecko(firefox internet engine) engine on macs. Camino works great and is just as fast as Safari. http://caminobrowser.org/

Mouse gestures are commands that are executed by moving the mouse in a certain pattern(ie you can make back through history a N pattern so when you move the mouse in that pattern the browser goes back through your history).
http://optimoz.mozdev.org/gestures/

I use Mozilla Suite (similar to Firefox) because of its overwhelming support of the latest W3C and ECMAscript standards, and noninvasiveness (lack of popups and the security-challenged ActiveX protocol). The freely available W3C standards combined with javascript/java are pretty much on their way to replacing arbitrary binary formats like Flash with simple XML applications like SVG/SMIL making the web and web publishing much more open and cohesive.
I only use IE for the Windows Update ActiveX control.

faust9 said:
I wouldn't use firefox on a mac. The mac firefox developers, I'm sorry to say, didn't integrate FF that well. Keyboard commands are very different (ie going back in history isn't accomplished by hitting the delete key). Camino is a better frontend for the gecko(firefox internet engine) engine on macs. Camino works great and is just as fast as Safari. http://caminobrowser.org/

Good to know. I think I'll stick with Safari for now.

Mouse gestures are commands that are executed by moving the mouse in a certain pattern(ie you can make back through history a N pattern so when you move the mouse in that pattern the browser goes back through your history).
http://optimoz.mozdev.org/gestures/

:eek: Hmm...guess that's not for me! I'm the sort of person who sits around playing with the mouse when I'm reading stuff. That could get dangerous. :rofl:

I use mouse gestures because I have no icons in my firefox (to save space, I have everything on one bar) MB, I have my mouse gestures setup so that I have to hold right click down to active them (which is the standard afaik). For example, if I hold right click down and move my mouse left that is back, and if I move my mouse right that is forward. Also I have it setup so that if I hold left click and press right click I go to the next tab, etc. It is extremely useful and a great time (and space) saver.

edit... this is what I mean by space saver : http://img34.exs.cx/img34/3307/fxscreenshot14oj.png

Last edited:
Yup firefox is the best one I've used by far.
Mainly for all the reasons the others gave as well as being able to drag your most important bookmarks onto the toolbar below the address bar.

Well I have been using FireFox, lot of neat stuff like everyone has said. However recently I have been having problem after problem with FX. I have mentioned one of them in another thread I started last night(which suddenly disappeared when I started right this for not apparent reason) others include closing all of FX windows but not having the FX process closes ever, JavaScript working intermittently, I have reinstalled FX 4 times with in the last 5 days(not clean install with new profile) because FX will simply stopped working, and different combinations of extensions and FX 1.02 seem to be at the root of all of this.

FX also loads pictures of any kind much slower then IE for some reasons, and still I am having a hard time going back to IE. There is a good chance I will too at this rate if IE 7 has tabbed browsering and a good interface.

Windows XP
Athlon 3500 64
FireFox 1.02

Last edited:
What extensions do you have installed Davorak?

You should also try posting your problem at the great mozillazine forums: http://forums.mozillazine.org/

Davorak said:
...JavaScript working intermittently...
This may be when the page's author unknowingly mixes Jscript (Microsoft's take on the standard ECMAscript language) with javascript, which IE handles fine. The author may also be using outdated javascript (referring to objects by namespace or layers instead of the W3C DOM) or still trying to use browser detection when they should be using object detection. You can alert the page author to these discrepancies if an error is generated in Firefox's javascript console (under the Tools menu if you chose to install Web Development Tools).

I will do a clean install and if I have problems again I will post them at http://forums.mozillazine.org.
Extensions I have:?
chromEdit 0.1.1.1
web Developer 0.9.3
Download Manager Tweak 0.6.3
Tab Mix 0.1.4
Flat Bookmark Editing 0.7
Image Zoom 0.1.7
Mouse Gestures 1.0
Adblock v.5 d2 * nightly 39

firefox tabs, nough said.

Davorak said:
I will do a clean install and if I have problems again I will post them at http://forums.mozillazine.org.
Extensions I have:?
chromEdit 0.1.1.1
web Developer 0.9.3
Download Manager Tweak 0.6.3
Tab Mix 0.1.4
Flat Bookmark Editing 0.7
Image Zoom 0.1.7
Mouse Gestures 1.0
Adblock v.5 d2 * nightly 39

If you're having problems with image loading then drop image zoom(I thought something like that was incorporated into firefox already). The other problem looks like a cache issue. Have you tried running with no extensions yet? Have you verified all of your extensions are compatible with the current version of firefox?

Adblock was recently decide not to be compatible with 1.0.2, all of the problems have described existed with or without adblock installed. An old version Switchproxy was listed as sometimes causing FX to freeze, while my problems have continued after I have uninstalled Switchproxy, I have not completed a clean install. I am going to do that in a moment.

I noticed the image loading being slower then IE from the first time I installed FX and is not an extension based problem. Possibly caused by my 64 bit processor? I know there are builds optimized for 64 bit, but I have yet to try them.

Davorak said:
I noticed the image loading being slower then IE from the first time I installed FX and is not an extension based problem. Possibly caused by my 64 bit processor? I know there are builds optimized for 64 bit, but I have yet to try them.
64-bit builds are for 64-bit operating systems. Microsoft has not yet released the final release version of WinXP 64, so there's a wait unless you want to try a 64-bit Linux OS.
I've got an Athlon64, but Gecko (the rendering engine behind Mozilla and Netscape browsers) doesn't render images slower than IE for me on this end.

Soilwork said:
Yup firefox is the best one I've used by far.
Mainly for all the reasons the others gave as well as being able to drag your most important bookmarks onto the toolbar below the address bar.
You can move folders there too; If you don't have space, you can put all of your other bookmarks in one main folder.
Yeah, Firefox rocks.

Using IE is like having sex in a 3rd world bordello without a condom.

So, i'll stick with Firefox.

mattmns said:
People use IE because it is what comes with their computer.
I downloaded Firefox twice, tried it, uninstalled it: don't like it.

-Love my mouse gestures
Tabbed browsing? I use ALT TAB, much faster: I don't have to use a mouse. It also does not clutter my screen.

Adblocking is included in service pack 2 of windows, does a perfect job.

Mouse gestures? I use the key board for everything (except scrolling).

The main thing that annoys me incessably is the fact that for some reason the scroll bar is located 0,5 mm from the border of the screen. Why? My pointer always gets trapped in this no mans land.

Another thing that is equally annoying is the fact that it does not remember that I like my screen maximized (F11) without the menu, so I need to keep resetting that everytime I open a new page.

And: the page looks messed up while the browser is building it. Also: last opened links do not come first in the address bar.

Davorak said:
FX also loads pictures of any kind much slower then IE for some reasons
HA, see! I noticed that too, pages take longer to build and my computer's performance is just fine, internet speed is nothing to complain about either.

Monique said:
I downloaded Firefox twice, tried it, uninstalled it: don't like it.

Tabbed browsing? I use ALT TAB, much faster: I don't have to use a mouse. It also does not clutter my screen.

How is alt+tab in IE faster than ctrl+tab in FX?

Adblocking is included in service pack 2 of windows, does a perfect job.

Adblocking is included in sp2? I would think that would be against the law for MS to do that? Could you post a screenshot of your IE in a google search please [search for "new car" ].

Mouse gestures? I use the key board for everything (except scrolling).

Well, some people, like myself, like options, and love mouse gestures.

The main thing that annoys me incessably is the fact that for some reason the scroll bar is located 0,5 mm from the border of the screen. Why? My pointer always gets trapped in this no mans land.

I have never had that scroll bar issue, mine seems to be on the edge.

Another thing that is equally annoying is the fact that it does not remember that I like my screen maximized (F11) without the menu, so I need to keep resetting that everytime I open a new page.

My Fx opens new windows maximized every time.

And: the page looks messed up while the browser is building it.

Could you post a screenshot of this please, or tell me what site this is happening on? I do not really understand what you are talking about here.

Also: last opened links do not come first in the address bar.

What are you talking about here? Please elaborate

mattmns said:
How is alt+tab in IE faster than ctrl+tab in FX?
As I said, it also clutters my screen. And doesn't using ctrl+tab negate the function of the tabs?

Adblocking is included in sp2? I would think that would be against the law for MS to do that? Could you post a screenshot of your IE in a google search please [search for "new car" ].
Ok, pop-up blocker.

I have never had that scroll bar issue, mine seems to be on the edge.
Are you sure? Is there no space for your pointer, try it. It is not just my computer, other computers too where I have seen the same problem.

My Fx opens new windows maximized every time.
In the F11 fully maximized mode?

Could you post a screenshot of this please, or tell me what site this is happening on? I do not really understand what you are talking about here.
As I said, Firefox is uninstalled. It means that you can see the different parts of the page being loaded. It doesn't take forever, but it is not very aestetic since the layout of the page moves as images are inserted etc.

What are you talking about here? Please elaborate
The URL address bar. Some links you use often, so you would like them to be on top. Other links you use seldom, so they should be on the bottom. Firefox seems to be static, if you click a URL that is 3rd down, it will stay 3rd down.

Monique said:
As I said, it also clutters my screen. And doesn't using ctrl+tab negate the function of the tabs?

Ok, pop-up blocker.

Are you sure? Is there no space for your pointer, try it. It is not just my computer, other computers too where I have seen the same problem.

In the F11 fully maximized mode?

As I said, Firefox is uninstalled. It means that you can see the different parts of the page being loaded. It doesn't take forever, but it is not very aestetic since the layout of the page moves as images are inserted etc.

The URL address bar. Some links you use often, so you would like them to be on top. Other links you use seldom, so they should be on the bottom. Firefox seems to be static, if you click a URL that is 3rd down, it will stay 3rd down.

What version of Fx did you use? Because yes the two issues seem to be resolved.

Ahh I understand what you mean by the url bar. Personally I do not use the pull down bar. I usually have keywords that I can type in the location bar for my favorite sites. For example if I type "pf" in my location bar it takes me to "www.physicsforums.com" Faster than typing the whole thing or using the mouse.

mattmns said:
What version of Fx did you use? Because yes the two issues seem to be resolved.

For example if I type "pf" in my location bar it takes me to "www.physicsforums.com" Faster than typing the whole thing or using the mouse.
That means you first have to make them your favorites, I use that too, but you can't realistically make everything a favorite.

Monique said:

Hmm maybe it is a windows fx issue then.

That means you first have to make them your favorites, I use that too, but you can't realistically make everything a favorite.

Well if you use them enough to want them on the top I would think that you would be able to add them to a folder in your favorites.

Realistically you can make everything a favorite. Just open all of the links in tabs, and then choose bookmark all tabs in a folder. Unless I guess you have 500 links that you use the url pull down bar for.

Ah the age old debate, I'll look forward to reading this thread when I have more time.

SUBSCRIBED!

From an end user standpoint I like firefox because:

1. Browser Updated Regularly
2. Ad blocking (Java/Flash/CSS/Javascript)
2. Tabs
3. Customizability

From a developer standpoint I like firefox because:

1. Standard Compliance
2. Dom inspector/Javascript Console
3. Webdeveloper Extension

-------

Monique, the ad blocking in IE is far from perfect. It can't handle Java, Flash and CSS ads while Firefox can. Also, why do you use the scroll bar? Don't you have a scroll wheel on your mouse?

dduardo said:
Monique, the ad blocking in IE is far from perfect. It can't handle Java, Flash and CSS ads while Firefox can. Also, why do you use the scroll bar? Don't you have a scroll wheel on your mouse?
The pop-up blocker works just fine for me, I don't really feel bothered by the other ads.

I don't have a mouse :tongue: I have a scroll pad which has pattern recognition, but I don't really use it.

In my opinion the EI pop-up blocker is just fine.

but that's not to say that Firefox hasn't improved on it, we should all support freeware software like Firefox and open office.

Why should we support freeware?

I guess because it is free. I am not sure if you like to throw away money Monique, but some people, like myself, are poor college students, and do not want to spend $200 on microsoft office, when open office works quite well.

And firefox's adblocking and popup blocking is a billion times better than IE's :tongue2:

Open Source != Freeware

The reason I think people should use open source software is simple: Control.

Consumer Senerio: Let's say you recorded video of your wedding day and encoded it into microsoft's propertary format wmv because that's the only thing Window's Movie Maker supports for export. Now suppose 15 years down the road you want to show your childern your wedding day video, but Microsoft Windows 2020 no longer supports wmv. What do you now?

Business Senario: You own Company A and your whole business depends on proprietary software from company B. Now what happens if company B closes shop and your license expires? What do you do now? Say there are bugs in the software, who supports you? What if all your documents are encoded in company B's propietary format which you cannot convert to another format? Do you now spend millions upon millions of dollars changing software and redoing everything for the past 5 years?

--------

Microsoft knows that most people are not developers and uses that as leverage to control the market. By writing incompatible code they force other developers to write incompatible code. Firefox renders webpages by the standard set by W3C. IE on the other hand renders by Microsoft's standard. Any web developer will tell you that IE is the bane of their existence. I strongly believe the web would be a much better place if microsoft hadn't used their desktop dominance to set their own standards.

Last edited: