Enabling Latex in Firefox 61.0

In summary, after uninstalling Firefox and then reinstalling it, the bookmarks were not brought back properly.
phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
In this thread

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...ng-sources-and-resistors.950932/#post-6022243

things looked weird to me and I thought it was the poster's fault but now I see in other threads that there are weird strings of characters which I take to be Latex.

I've poked around in preferences but can't seem to find anywhere that turns latex recognition on/off (I'm assuming mine is off)

I've removed (at the suggest of a Mozilla troubleshooting page) the "Use hardware acceleration when available" but that didn't fix the problem either

So how do I coerce Firefox into showing me Latex?

Could it be my browser? I'm using Firefox 61.0 in Windows 7

Thanks for any help

EDIT: AH HA ! It IS my browser. I opened the same thread in Chrome and I see what, clearly, I should be seeing.

Hm ... "safe mode" solves the problem but kills my add-ons (such as Privacy Badger)

Poking around on the internet, I found the suggest to get to image blocking in Firefox, which I did, but there are no domains that are marked for image blocking.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like Javascript is not executed properly or the browser doesn't load it.

mfb said:
Looks like Javascript is not executed properly or the browser doesn't load it.
Hm ... any idea how to fix that? Mozilla says that JavaScript is built into Firefox. I also notice that Instead of the proper icons for text bold, text size, etc, I'm seeing this:
upload_2018-7-6_10-33-42.png

I assume that's likely to be from the same root cause. PF code must use JavaScript to serve up those icons.

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-6_10-33-42.png
    upload_2018-7-6_10-33-42.png
    2 KB · Views: 393
After spending a lot of time searching the Internet for solutions, all I could find was that there is a JavaScript plug-in for Firefox but it doesn't work with the 64-bit version of Firefox. I've been running the 64-bit version for years, and this problem only showed up in the last couple of days.

That looks like a style sheet is not being loaded. I’m away at the moment but see if you can find which one and try to ping it. Also try to ping our CDNA. The address can be found by looking at the source code.

Greg Bernhardt said:
That looks like a style sheet is not being loaded. I’m away at the moment but see if you can find which one and try to ping it. Also try to ping our CDNA. The address can be found by looking at the source code.
I understand what a style sheet is (I'm assuming a CSS file) but other than that, I don't follow what you are saying about how to do the ping (I do know how to ping). No hurry.

OK, I re-installed FireFox and things now work.

Unfortunately, Firefox, I found out after MUCH frustration, if you export your bookmarks before uninstalling (which I did) will NOT bring them back properly. That is, they ARE brought back but they don't show up in the normal bookmarks window, they are in a hidden "imports" folder that can only be seen if you clutter up your screen by putting the bookmarks sidebar onto the page you're looking at so the drop-down for bookmarks won't show them. Really disgusting.

Copy the profile folder, then you keep the exact profile.

mfb said:
Copy the profile folder, then you keep the exact profile.
I didn't save the old profile folder, I only saved the bookmarks. Had to re-enter all my passwords.

1. How do I enable Latex in Firefox 61.0?

In order to enable Latex in Firefox 61.0, you will need to install an add-on called "TeXZilla". This add-on allows you to render Latex equations in your browser.

2. What is Latex and why would I want to enable it in Firefox 61.0?

Latex is a typesetting language commonly used in scientific and technical fields for creating high-quality documents with complex equations and symbols. Enabling it in Firefox 61.0 allows you to view and interact with Latex equations on webpages.

3. Is enabling Latex in Firefox 61.0 difficult?

No, enabling Latex in Firefox 61.0 is a simple process that only requires downloading and installing the TeXZilla add-on. Once installed, you can start viewing Latex equations on websites immediately.

4. Can I customize the settings for Latex in Firefox 61.0?

Yes, the TeXZilla add-on allows you to customize various settings for Latex, such as font size and color, as well as the behavior of the equations on the webpage.

5. Are there any other browsers besides Firefox 61.0 that support Latex?

Yes, there are other browsers that support Latex, such as Google Chrome and Safari. However, the process for enabling it may be different for each browser.