Dot product with 3 dimensions, confused on concept, easy question i think

In summary, The conversation discusses the problem of finding the dot product of a vector with itself and the application of the chain rule in solving it. It is established that the dot product of a vector with itself is equal to the magnitude of the vector squared, and that the chain rule applies in finding the derivative of the dot product. It is also noted that the dot product can help determine if two vectors are parallel or orthogonal.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone! I'm confused on what I'm suppose to do here, I think i might got it though but i need to make sure...
Here is the problem and my work:
http://show.imagehosting.us/show/764032/0/nouser_764/T0_-1_764032.jpg
he let r(t) = f(t) i + g(t) j + h(t) k. So if i multiply this by itself, won't that make the vectors go away? because isn't (i)(i) = (j)(j) = (k)(k) = 1?
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the very first line, g(t) needs a j unit vector.

For part (b), remember to apply the chain rule.

Well if it's the same vector, then essentially it's the dot product of two vectors that are parellel, that is, the angle between them is 0. So it will be the magnitude of the vector squared. That's how I see it anyway...

Thanks for the replies, I see big man, that makes sense but he isn't asking what |r(t) dot r(t)| he is asking r(t) dot r(t). Also Whozum, Thanks for picking that up in a, but is that right, the dot product of the same vector, will the unit vectors just be all one and ur just left with the functions of f(t) + g(t) + h(t)? Somthing seems odd there...also why would the chain rule apply to part b? Don't you apply the chain rule when you have somthing like, f(g(x))? or (x-3x^3)^(2)?

For the first part,

[tex] \vec{r}(t) \cdot \vec{r}(t) = |\vec{r}(t)|^{2} = c^2 [/tex]

for the 2nd part

[tex] \frac{d}{dt} \vec{r}(t) \cdot \vec{r}(t) = \vec{r}'(t) \cdot \vec{r}(t) + \vec{r}(t) \cdot \vec{r}'(t) = 2 \vec{r}'(t) \cdot \vec{r}(t) = 0 [/tex]

[tex] \vec{r}'(t) \cdot \vec{r}(t) = 0 [/tex]

which basicly means both vectors are orthogonal.

Thanks cyclovenom! right when u posted that I Just found the exact same solution in the book :)

1. What is the dot product in 3 dimensions?

The dot product in 3 dimensions is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors, represented by a set of three numbers in three-dimensional space, and produces a single number as a result. It is also known as the scalar product or inner product.

2. How do you calculate the dot product in 3 dimensions?

To calculate the dot product in 3 dimensions, you multiply the corresponding components of the two vectors together and then add all the products together. For example, if vector A is (a1, a2, a3) and vector B is (b1, b2, b3), the dot product would be a1*b1 + a2*b2 + a3*b3.

3. What is the purpose of the dot product in 3 dimensions?

The dot product in 3 dimensions is used to find the angle between two vectors, determine if two vectors are perpendicular, and to project one vector onto another. It is also used in physics and engineering to calculate work, torque, and other important quantities.

4. Why is the dot product important in 3 dimensions?

The dot product is important in 3 dimensions because it allows us to perform calculations and solve problems involving vectors in three-dimensional space. It is a fundamental concept in vector analysis and is used in a wide range of applications, including computer graphics, physics, and engineering.

5. How can I visualize the dot product in 3 dimensions?

One way to visualize the dot product in 3 dimensions is to think of it as the projection of one vector onto another. Imagine shining a light onto one vector, and the shadow it creates on the other vector is the dot product. This can help in understanding the concept and its applications.