So you want to be a physicist.

• Thread starter cristo
  • Start date
In summary, physicists have a positive job outlook with a projected 7% growth from 2019 to 2029, due to the increasing demand for research in various industries. Most positions require a Ph.D. in physics or a related field, along with strong mathematical and analytical abilities, critical thinking skills, and the ability to work well in a team. Physicists can work in a variety of industries and specialize in different areas, with a median annual wage of $122,220 in May 2020. However, salaries may vary depending on education, experience, and industry.
cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Is this just me, or has the So, you want to be a physicist thread disappeared? I guess there's probably a reason for it. Has Zz, or someone else, deleted it on purpose?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it was moved somewhere else. As of now, I do not know where, but I'm positive there is a link to it somewhere. I'll try to find it.

EDIT: I found it! Here is a link to the Google document:

http://docs.google.com/View?docid=df5w5j9q_5gj6wmt

Last edited:

1. What is the job outlook for physicists?

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the employment of physicists is projected to grow 7% from 2019 to 2029, faster than the average for all occupations. This growth is due to the increasing demand for research in industries such as renewable energy and technology.

2. What are the educational requirements for becoming a physicist?

Most positions in physics require a Ph.D. in physics or a related field. This typically involves 4-5 years of graduate study after obtaining a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field. Some jobs in applied research and development may only require a master's degree.

3. What skills are necessary for a career in physics?

Some essential skills for a physicist include strong mathematical and analytical abilities, critical thinking skills, problem-solving skills, and attention to detail. Additionally, communication skills and the ability to work well in a team are crucial for collaborating on research projects.

4. What types of jobs are available for physicists?

Physicists can work in a variety of industries, including research and development, government agencies, education, and private companies. They may also specialize in a specific area, such as astrophysics, biophysics, or nanotechnology.

5. What is the average salary for physicists?

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for physicists was $122,220 in May 2020. The top 10% of physicists earned more than $201,990, while the bottom 10% earned less than $63,550. Salaries can vary depending on education, experience, and industry.