Can I safely install 1.5 GB of RAM on a computer that can only handle 1.0 GB?

• Thread starter Problem+Solve=Reason
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ram
In summary, if you want to install more RAM than the motherboard is designed to handle, you may need to do a BIOS update or remove the 512MB module first.
Problem+Solve=Reason
Installing more RAM than...

Im trying to install 1.5 gb of ram on a computer that the factory says can only handle 1.0 gb. Now, if i try it and it doesn't work then I am out 15% of 93 bucks for a restocking fee (cheap basterds). So I am wondering if anyone has done this before and know someway that it can work. This is not a 1.5 gb stick, but right now i have 512 in and just bought a 1 gb stick. So in total 1.5 gb.

All and any help appreciated...
Tom

Computer science news on Phys.org
A bios update may do it, but other than that, you're probably out of luck.

If it does not work at all, then remove the 512MB module and try using the 1GB module by itself.

hitssquad said:
If it does not work at all, then remove the 512MB module and try using the 1GB module by itself.

I think the motherboard probably has 2 spaces for RAM that are only capable of handling 512MB RAM sticks.

Pengwuino said:
I think the motherboard probably has 2 spaces for RAM that are only capable of handling 512MB RAM sticks.
Thats it. Spose to only hold 2 512.

It's probably a hardware impediment. If the board can only handle DIMMs up to 512MB, then the 1GB stick likely won't work at all.

Sell the extra 512MB memory on ebay.

dduardo said:
Sell the extra 512MB memory on ebay.

If the hardware only recognizes 512MB per slot, then the new memory may not be recognizable at all by the machine.

I would be careful here. It is possible that certain 512 chips won't work either. It sounds like the chip density is the limiting factor here.

Townsend said:
I would be careful here. It is possible that certain 512 chips won't work either. It sounds like the chip density is the limiting factor here.

Yah the 1gb chip probably wouldn't even work on its own...

i wonder what happened to the OP

Mobos are programmed to run with a certain amount of everything and set at speeds. It probably won't work, and even if it did it would be very dangerous to run. (fry your mobo.)

1. What is the purpose of installing more RAM than the minimum requirement?

Installing more RAM than the minimum requirement allows for better performance and faster processing of data. It also allows for the computer to handle more complex tasks and programs without slowing down or crashing.

2. How much more RAM should I install than the minimum requirement?

The amount of additional RAM needed depends on the specific computer and its intended use. It is recommended to have at least 8GB of RAM for optimal performance, but if you are using the computer for more intensive tasks such as gaming or video editing, you may need more.

3. Can installing too much RAM be harmful to my computer?

No, installing too much RAM will not harm your computer. However, it is important to make sure your computer is compatible with the amount of RAM you are installing and that it has enough physical space to accommodate it.

4. How do I know if my computer can handle more RAM than the minimum requirement?

You can check the specifications of your computer or consult the manufacturer's website to see the maximum amount of RAM it can support. You can also use online tools or consult with a computer technician for assistance.

5. Is installing more RAM than the minimum requirement worth the cost?

It depends on your specific needs and usage of the computer. If you use your computer for basic tasks such as web browsing and word processing, then the minimum requirement may be sufficient. However, if you use your computer for more demanding tasks, then installing more RAM can greatly improve its performance and may be worth the investment.