Physics BS - is it even worth it?

In summary, a physics bachelors will likely require 120,000 dollars in debt payments over the course of three years. Even with a good job, this amount of debt is likely too much for most people to pay off.
D H said:
Go to a mathematics forum that is akin to this site. You'll inevitably find threads along the lines of "Mathematics BA - is it even worth it?" You could add astronomy to your list to create a triple major in what are probably the three technical disciplines where employability with only a bachelors degree is toughest.
Yeah I had the interest of doing physics + math before I started to give a good hard look on what my future prospects would be after college, unfortunate adamancy on my part.

D H said:
A physics / engineering double major would be a significant undertaking at Cornell for the simple reason that physics (I'm assuming you're a physics major, not an A&EP major) is in the College of Arts and Sciences while engineering degrees are offered by the College of Engineering. That the two colleges have somewhat orthogonal core requirements is going to make this a rather tough task. Comp sci will be less problematic in this regard because it lives in both colleges. It still won't be easy, and it most likely will add an extra year to your undergrad career.
Yeah an extra year won't be the most ideal thing that''s for sure. Physics + Eng does indeed look quite scary/hard to manage especially since, as you mentioned, they are across different schools for me (and yes I'm in the arts and sciences physics major).

D H said:
A much less laborious route would be to minor in one of those other topics. Math would be easy; you're going to come close to the minor requirements for math just by taking the math courses required of a physics major. A minor in some engineering degree might be useful as a backup plan to graduate work in physics, but you're going to be competing with people who majored in that field. Many prospective employers in an engineering field will take the easy way out and put your resume in the circular file.
I see, well that's definitely good to know beforehand (regarding the engineering minor).

D H said:
On the other hand, a comp sci minor would open the door to a slew of technical jobs where the ability to program is an essential but nonetheless secondary job requirement. First and foremost is the ability to reason mathematically and physically. As a side benefit, a comp sci minor could also be of aid should you decide to continue in physics at the graduate level. There are quite a few physics disciplines that require programming as an essential but nonetheless secondary skill.
Yeah another person advised me to take the comp sci minor as well. I guess the biggest advantage is that it has the potential not to tack on a whole extra year of undergrad.

D H said:
You asked "Can one not just learn programming without all the extra theory?" The answer is yes. You can readily learn to program badly without all the extra theory. I occasionally (with much grimacing) have to look at code written by aerospace engineering or astronomy grad students. It's usually quite atrocious. Unreadable. Unmaintainable. Untestable. Detestable. They learned how to program without any of the extra theory.

Let's flip your question around. "Can one not just learn physics without all the extra theory?" Not really. The same applies to some extent to computer science.

Because programming is a secondary skill in those analytical jobs and in computational physics, you don't need to go whole hog and do a double major in physics and comp sci. Secondary = minor, not major.
I don't have any qualms against learning theory in fact if possible I would love to learn the theory. I was just afraid of the time constraints with regards to the 4-year degree and if I could actually fit in all that theory + the usual physics courses. However it seems like with a minor this would be much more manageable as you said.

Thanks for the advice D H, I really appreciate it. I spoke to my parents by the way and they suggested that if I'm actually having these kinds of doubts then I should play it safe and make sure I have something to fall back on. Since many of their relatives were successful with comp sci in one way or another they naturally suggested I try to have comp sci as a secondary as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah a lot of people are interested in that stuff. Again, physics bachelors get hired all over the place; it depends upon the robustness of the economy and your ability to network and put yourself out there, so if you have a physics bachelors in addition to a phd in something esoteric I think you're in decent shape. Also math departments tend to be enormous because of the sheer volume of students they need to teach, so finding an academic position with heavier teaching requirements is probably less challenging than one would think; I've heard that engineering phd's can get hired into academic positions ASAP due to the huge demand teaching wise (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong); likewise, my impression is the same for the math department.

MisterX said:
I don't think computer science would be the right thing for you to do. A dual degree in electrical engineering might be a better choice.
While EE is an extremely interesting subject in it's own right and all the points you brought up about it are enticing, as D H said at Cornell it is quite difficult to do the physics + eng dual major; I'm trying to avoid tacking on a extra year. Thanks for the information :smile:

If you need to ask then the answer is no.

Group_Complex said:
If you need to ask then the answer is no.

Very helpful.

micromass said:
Very helpful.

Physics is something you need to have passion above all else for to pursue. If you are questioning the career than the passion is probably not there. Paul Halmos said a very similar thing about mathematics.

Group_Complex said:
Physics is something you need to have passion above all else for to pursue. If you are questioning the career than the passion is probably not there. Paul Halmos said a very similar thing about mathematics.

Inquiring about future job perspectives does not equate to a lack of passion for a subject.

Group_Complex said:
Yeah I certainly have no passion for physics. Anyone who uses this forum regularly will tell you that I find physics monotonous and banal. Thank you for your brilliant insight I will definitely take it into consideration.

WannabeNewton said:
Yeah I certainly have no passion for physics. Anyone who uses this forum regularly will tell you that I find physics monotonous and banal. Thank you for your brilliant insight I will definitely take it into consideration.

The question is not if you have passion, rather do you have ENOUGH passion?

Group_Complex said:
The question is not if you have passion, rather do you have ENOUGH passion?

So the only people with enough passion are the people who start doing physics and who don't think about job prospects? I don't call that "a lot of passion", I call that "stupid".

WannabeNewton, how important is Cornell to you? It seems to me that your problem would be easily solved by finishing out your undergrad at Stony Brook or similar institution. Another thing to remember is that because you have an undergraduate degree in physics, does not mean you cannot continue with graduate education in a different field such as EE or Materials which have less discouraging employments statistics.
The fact that your passion is in question is preposterous. You evince more zeal for this topic than almost anyone on the site, but, considering that, would you ever be happy if you did not give physics/math a shot?

Some things to consider from someone who you have helped in the past.

gsmith said:
WannabeNewton, how important is Cornell to you? It seems to me that your problem would be easily solved by finishing out your undergrad at Stony Brook or similar institution.
This question is hard to answer for me because I won't really know if I regret giving up Cornell or not until after I do, at which point it will be too late to go back if I do regret it. Transferring isn't an issue in principle but, if you put yourself in my shoes, it is easier said than done considering what has to be forsaken. It would certainly solve somethings that's for sure.

gsmith said:
Another thing to remember is that because you have an undergraduate degree in physics, does not mean you cannot continue with graduate education in a different field such as EE or Materials which have less discouraging employments statistics.
I think it can be done in principle but I've read previous threads on this site where people have said it's quite hard to go from physics -> EE PhD when there are people who already did their undergrad in EE applying for EE PhD etc.

gsmith said:
The fact that your passion is in question is preposterous. You evince more zeal for this topic than almost anyone on the site, but, considering that, would you ever be happy if you did not give physics/math a shot?
This is also what my parents asked me and honestly I would probably be unhappy, or at least disappointed, if I had to give up pure physics. Then again we can't always get what makes us happy now can we :smile:?

Thanks for the reply by the way!