Want to continue my Formal Education

In summary, an online ASU degree may offer some value for jobs, but is not as effective as a regular in-person degree. It will be very difficult to advance to a graduate program with an online ASU degree.
mark2142
Hi everyone, I was a high school student back in 2010 and then I got problems in life where my studies were left behind. I do a lot of self study. But now I want to continue, do a Bs graduation degree but I don't know if any college in world allows a online physics degree. I searched for Arizona state university. Are there any better choices and what does ASU offer? How good is a ASU degree for jobs?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are in the US, there are likely some 2-year community colleges near you that offer transfers to 4-year colleges after you get your 2-year degree. Have you looked into those options? Most likely they are in-person again now that the Pandemic has subsided...

• Informative
Likes hutchphd and mark2142
berkeman said:
If you are in the US, there are likely some 2-year community colleges near you that offer transfers to 4-year colleges after you get your 2-year degree. Have you looked into those options?
Wow, i didn't know that. But I don't live in US. My focus is complete online education. Is it possible to get a degree from home?

mark2142 said:
My focus is complete online education. Is it possible to get a degree from home?
Yes. But it will be very, very,. very difficult to advance to a graduate program.

Vanadium 50 said:
Yes. But it will be very, very,. very difficult to advance to a graduate program.
What do you mean? Can you elaborate?
Its already very difficult :(

mark2142 said:
What do you mean? Can you elaborate?
Its already very difficult :(
I think @Vanadium 50 might be alluding to the fact that undergrad physics programs require labs, which wouldn't be available in online-only courses.

• Informative
Likes symbolipoint
mark2142 said:
Hi everyone, I was a high school student back in 2010 and then I got problems in life where my studies were left behind. I do a lot of self study. But now I want to continue, do a Bs graduation degree but I don't know if any college in world allows a online physics degree. I searched for Arizona state university. Are there any better choices and what does ASU offer? How good is a ASU degree for jobs?
Please clarify your end goal. It sounds like you want to obtain your undergrad degree in physics online and then get a job. That is, you do not plan to continue on to a graduate degree in physics before getting a job. Is that correct?

If so, have you identified what job opportunities there are in your country (either current country or country in which you plan to seek employment) with an undergrad degree in physics? If it were me, I'd contact potential employers for their views on what value they consider an online ASU degree to have.

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
I think @Vanadium 50 might be alluding to the fact that undergrad physics programs require labs, which wouldn't be available in online-only courses.
I'll leave it to V50 to clarify what he meant. At any rate, ASU purports to include labs as part of their online BS physics program (https://asuonline.asu.edu/online-degree-programs/undergraduate/physics-bs/):

"ASU is the first university to offer an online bachelor’s in physics with advanced laboratory coursework, which is vital for developing experimental skills. Our upper-division laboratory courses are designed to offer the same challenges that in-person students confront. You’ll have the opportunity to work with electronic kits at home and interact with simulated experiments online, handling equipment alignment protocols and noisy data."

They also offer an online BA physics program. How effective these labs are and how much value an ASU online degree offers, I haven't a clue. It is interesting that ASU doesn't designate that the degree is "online" in the transcript and diploma (https://asuonline.asu.edu/newsroom/asu-online-news/online-class-information/):

"Will it say "online" on my diploma?​

No. ASU Online graduates receive a diploma from Arizona State University, same as students who earn their degrees on campus. Neither your diploma nor transcripts will note that it’s an online degree."That is, potential employers won't know, unless they dig deeper.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes mark2142
  • Labs are still an issue. "Simulated labs" are not the same as real labs. Further, labs are an elective, not a requirement,
  • Faculty interaction is an issue. If all your letters say is "He got a good grade in my class" that is not competitive.
  • Lack of other departmental interactions is an issue - no seminars, no colloqia, no informal tours of lab spaces, and so on.
  • ASU themselves say their BA program does not prepare one as well for an advanced degree as a BS
If your goal is grad school, you could spend 4 years and discover you are still underprepared.

• Informative
Likes mark2142, symbolipoint and berkeman
Vanadium 50 said:
  • Labs are still an issue. "Simulated labs" are not the same as real labs. Further, labs are an elective, not a requirement,
  • Faculty interaction is an issue. If all your letters say is "He got a good grade in my class" that is not competitive.
  • Lack of other departmental interactions is an issue - no seminars, no colloqia, no informal tours of lab spaces, and so on.
  • ASU themselves say their BA program does not prepare one as well for an advanced degree as a BS
If your goal is grad school, you could spend 4 years and discover you are still underprepared.
Just to clarify, ASU offers both a BA and a BS online physics program. They claim that the BA is suitable for students who do not plan to continue graduate studies in physics, whereas the the BS is suitable for students who do. Intro labs are required for both. Advanced labs are optional for BA, but required for BS. The OP has not clarified whether he intends to go to grad school or not.

But as I've said above, I have no clue as to what value (if any) these programs have. The OP should find out before committing time and money.

berkeman said:
If you are in the US, there are likely some 2-year community colleges near you that offer transfers to 4-year colleges after you get your 2-year degree. Have you looked into those options? Most likely they are in-person again now that the Pandemic has subsided...
mark2142 said:
Wow, i didn't know that. But I don't live in US. My focus is complete online education. Is it possible to get a degree from home?
This is really frustrating for me. When I checked your IP address location for your first post, you were about 20 miles away from me here in Silicon Valley, hence my suggstion. Your second post IP is on the other side of the planet. Do you really think you can get good advice without telling people where you are in the world? Please give us some idea of where you are, since it is hard to believe that you don't have communitiy college type resources near you.

Last edited:
Likes CalcNerd and Vanadium 50
CrysPhys said:
The OP has not clarified whether he intends to go to grad school or not.
Yes, I do want to...but I cannot do in person. If I could that would have made things very simple. That is why I have come here to get an advice.
CrysPhys said:
Please clarify your end goal. It sounds like you want to obtain your undergrad degree in physics online and then get a job. That is, you do not plan to continue on to a graduate degree in physics before getting a job. Is that correct?
I want to study as much is possible online and then maybe get a job.
CrysPhys said:
Intro labs are required for both. Advanced labs are optional for BA, but required for BS.
Vanadium 50 said:
How important are these labs for self improvement? What kind of practicals are conducted there? In which fields? Is it impossible to get it done online?
Getting a job is not a prime focus but to learn as much physics is.

mark2142 said:
So why do you need a degree program? Why can't you just take classes? (And, to emphasize @berkeman 's point, why won't you tell us where the heck you are located?)

Further to V50's reply above, some of your responses (as well as your location, apparently) are all over the map.

mark2142 said:
How good is a ASU degree for jobs?

mark2142 said:

If getting a job is not a prime focus, why were you so concerned in your first post whether an ASU online degree is good for getting a job?

How much you can learn online, and how important hands-on lab work is, depend on your end goals. And I don't think you've thought those through. There are hybrid programs (even on the grad level) in which you take most of your courses online, supplemented by stints on campus. But the availability of such programs depends on where you are, which for some reason you don't wish to divulge.

Guys I am from India. I want a degree because otherwise nobody takes you seriously where I live. Its a Life and death situation. And I love reading physics so why not get into that. ASU offers it. So I mentioned it but I was thinking are there any better options. Thank you.

mark2142 said:
Its a Life and death situation
I don't believe you. Are you seriously telling us if you don't get a degree you are going to die?

In that case, my advice to you is to get the easiest degree possible. You don't want to die, do you?

If your primary concern is increasing your employment prospects, a physics degree alone (online or in person) may not be the best option. Physics degrees introduce you to physics and are generally geared toward preparing you for graduate school. The data suggests that physics BSc graduates are quite successful in gaining meaningful employment afterward, but with a physics BSc only it's extremely rare that they end up doing much in the way of the physics research they envisioned at the start. You can look up statistics on where US physics graduates in the US end up here:
https://www.aip.org/statistics/reso...sics-bachelors-and-phds-classes-2019-and-2020
I'm not sure how relevant this is for graduates in India though. But it's something to consider.

The next issue is online exclusivity. Here, I get the concerns. There may not be many local options for you to study in person and traveling for your education may not be realistic in your circumstances. So you want to seek out the best online option you can find. I think a lot has changed in recent years. Many schools rapidly switched to offering online options over the pandemic. Online studies have become much more mainstream.

That said, the concerns brought up above are very real. There's a practical skill set that comes with the study of physics, much of which is developed though labs and practical experimentation. There's the social aspect of studying and learning with other people. In person you develop an academic network of professors, post-docs, graduate students... people you can go to for help and advice and who may be able to help you out with reference letters or job connections at later points in time. And there are concerns with people cheating the system with online-only programs.

mark2142 said:
Guys I am from India. I want a degree because otherwise nobody takes you seriously where I live. Its a Life and death situation. And I love reading physics so why not get into that. ASU offers it. So I mentioned it but I was thinking are there any better options. Thank you.
If a degree is truly a matter of life and death, then you should first ascertain which degrees the people who decide your fate consider to be valid degrees. If there is vetting, then you should find out whether ASU online (or any other online degree you contemplate) would be valid. If there is no vetting, then the most expedient path to getting a BS after your name would be via a diploma mill that gives you college credits for "life experience". The more you pay, the more credits you receive.

I understand how not getting a job could lead to dire straits (assuming no other source of support), but you previously posted: "Getting a job is not a prime focus but to learn as much physics is." So what are the consequences if you don't get a degree?

Last edited:

1. How do I know if I am ready to continue my formal education?

The decision to continue your formal education is a personal one and depends on your individual goals and circumstances. However, some signs that you may be ready include having a clear career path in mind, feeling motivated and excited about learning, and having the necessary time and resources to commit to your studies.

2. What are the benefits of continuing my formal education?

Continuing your formal education can open up new career opportunities, increase your earning potential, and expand your knowledge and skills in a specific field. It can also help you build a professional network and improve your critical thinking and problem-solving abilities.

3. What are my options for continuing my formal education?

There are various options for continuing your formal education, including pursuing a bachelor's or master's degree, enrolling in a certificate program, or attending vocational or trade schools. You can also consider online or part-time programs to fit your schedule and learning style.

4. How do I choose the right program for me?

Choosing the right program for you depends on your career goals, interests, and personal preferences. Research different programs, their curriculum, and accreditation. Consider factors such as cost, location, and program format. It can also be helpful to speak with current students or alumni to get a better understanding of the program.

5. What resources are available to help me continue my formal education?

There are many resources available to help you continue your formal education, such as financial aid, scholarships, and grants. You can also seek guidance from academic advisors, career counselors, and mentors. Additionally, online resources and study groups can provide support and assistance throughout your educational journey.