What's the next step after undergrad quantum?

In summary, it sounds like you are undecided about whether you should continue with quantum or move onto something else. You should probably start with a more advanced quantum book and research anti-hydrogen later.
wotanub
I finished my run through of quantum with a book equivalent to Griffiths. Should I go through it again with a more advanced quantum book, or should I move onto something like QFT (maybe an easier book like Zee)?

I'm going to be doing research involving anti-hydrogen, so I'm not sure if I should be studying particle physics stuff or atomic/optical physics stuff. Or both, but I need to just pick something the start with.

Physics news on Phys.org
Atomic

I would recommend a more advanced quantum book like Zettilli or Sakurai.

That being said, atomic physics is an amazingly interesting field so learning some atomic physics wouldn't be bad.

That being, research involving anti-hydrogen is pretty vague. Will this be experimental or numerical? If it's experimental, what techniques will you be using? Is this an ion trapping group?

Jorriss said:
I would recommend a more advanced quantum book like Zettilli or Sakurai.

I second Zettilli but I also think Shankar is a very nice text. If you want a challenge, try Merzerbacher.

I think a book like Zee is better used after a more thorough grounding. I know I certainly was not ready for QFT after Griffiths.

Therevis a book on atomic physics by Bethe that is very good, though a bit hard and a bit old.

You guys don't think Zettilli is on the same level as Griffiths? I actually used Townsend with Zettilli as a backup when I needed further clarification. I thought those three were basically the same level.

My group is an experimental one that uses a penning trap to store the anti matter and perform measurements.

wotanub said:
You guys don't think Zettilli is on the same level as Griffiths?

Perhaps it is. I do think it's a better book than Griffiths though.

wotanub said:
You guys don't think Zettilli is on the same level as Griffiths? I actually used Townsend with Zettilli as a backup when I needed further clarification. I thought those three were basically the same level.
I think Zettilli is above Griffiths. It's much more thorough.

wotanub said:
My group is an experimental one that uses a penning trap to store the anti matter and perform measurements.
That sounds cool, unfortunately that's an area I couldn't assist with advice other than perhaps get a text on atomic physics.

Which book equivalent to Griffiths? Yeah worthwhile QFT is too big a jump from Griffiths you would want to read a Shankar or Sakurai level book. Or if you are interested a related subject like quantum optics.

lurflurf said:
Which book equivalent to Griffiths? Yeah worthwhile QFT is too big a jump from Griffiths you would want to read a Shankar or Sakurai level book. Or if you are interested a related subject like quantum optics.

Townsend. Maybe I'll just pick what seems the most fun...

Related to What's the next step after undergrad quantum?

1. What career options are available after completing an undergraduate degree in quantum physics?

After completing an undergraduate degree in quantum physics, some common career options include pursuing a graduate degree in quantum physics or a related field, working as a research assistant or technician in a laboratory, or pursuing a career in industries such as technology, aerospace, or defense.

2. Can I work in a research field without a graduate degree in quantum physics?

While having a graduate degree in quantum physics can be beneficial for research positions, it is possible to work in a research field without one. Some research positions may require a bachelor's degree in a related field and relevant work experience or specialized skills.

3. Is there a demand for professionals with a background in quantum physics?

Yes, there is a growing demand for professionals with a background in quantum physics due to the increasing use of quantum technologies in various industries. This demand is expected to continue to rise in the future, making it a promising field for career opportunities.

4. Can I pursue a career outside of academia with a degree in quantum physics?

Yes, there are many career opportunities outside of academia for individuals with a degree in quantum physics. Industries such as finance, healthcare, and information technology are increasingly utilizing quantum technologies, creating job opportunities for individuals with a background in quantum physics.

5. How can I prepare for a career in the field of quantum physics during my undergraduate studies?

To prepare for a career in the field of quantum physics during your undergraduate studies, it is important to take courses in mathematics, physics, and computer science. You can also gain practical experience through research opportunities, internships, or participating in projects related to quantum technologies. Networking with professionals in the field and staying updated on advancements in quantum physics can also be beneficial.