Equations with 2 Variables: Solving for 0<theta<2pi | Homework Help

• Thread starter Nelo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In the problem, you can also describe the translations like this:To the right by how many degrees? 0Up by how many degrees? 0See? There are translations of 0 degrees involved. I was trying to point that out. I guess we both were thinking the same thing, but our statements didn't agree with one another.So, I think we both agree that Nero said it wrong by saying "translation" when "dilation" would have been more appropriate.See ya!In summary, the conversation discusses solving an equation with two variables, θ and cos(θ), using trigonometric identities and the unit circle. The equation 2sin(θ
Nelo

Homework Statement

Solve each equation for 0<theta<2pi

a) 2sin(theta) + sincos(theta)=0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand what to do, I know what your supposed to do when given one variable, which is rearrange and solve. But how do i solve for both of the variables here?

Physics news on Phys.org
I only see one variable, θ.

I take it that you are to solve: 2sin(θ) + sin(cos(θ)) = 0, correct?

I see two, one being sin , one being cos. How to solve? no examples in the book no homework questions, I am clueless.

Those are terms, not variables. Variables are values that can change with input. Well, put that equation in another way:

sin(cos([itex]\theta[/itex])=-2sin([itex]\theta[/itex])

It would be wise if you knew the values of unit circle. Like how sin 90º=1, cos 45º=[itex]\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}[/itex], etc.

I know all of the values of the unit circle, I don't understand how sin*cos = -2sin*

, like what values does that give you... does that just say sin*cos as one term is = to -2sin.. so i inverse sin get the degrees then do 360- the value..?

Nelo said:
I see two, one being sin , one being cos. How to solve? no examples in the book no homework questions, I'm clueless.

sin & cos are functions.

Also, in this case, I presume that the variable θ is in units of radians.

BTW: By any chance, is the equation to be solved really:
2sin(θ) + sin(θ)*cos(θ) = 0 .​

Probably not but there's no trig identities that can change anything there

The equation 2sin(θ) + sin(θ)*cos(θ) = 0 can be solved by standard methods.

The equation 2sin(θ) + sin(cos(θ)) = 0 can be solved numerically or graphically.

Graph y = 2 sin(x) and y = -sin(cos(x)) on the same set of axes:
attachment.php?attachmentid=37691&d=1312236844.gif

Attachments

• sin_cos_composition.gif
    sin_cos_composition.gif
    4.1 KB · Views: 954
numerically tbh

Anyway, since your not helping with that. Atleast you can clarify something for me.

If I am given a period on a cosine function, like 2pi/3

How do i turn that into a horizontal translation?

Apparently 2pi/3 is = to 3x.

I don't get how though.

Is it because a period is 2pi over k, and the period I am given is 2pi/3.

Simply cross multiply and divide?

Nelo said:
Anyway, since your not helping with that. Atleast you can clarify something for me.

If I am given a period on a cosine function, like 2pi/3

How do i turn that into a horizontal translation?

Apparently 2pi/3 is = to 3x.

I don't get how though.

Is it because a period is 2pi over k, and the period I am given is 2pi/3.

Simply cross multiply and divide?
This question makes no sense (tbh).

How is cosine related to 2pi/3 and 3x ?

Nelo said:
Anyway, since your not helping with that.

Actually you were getting a lot of help. You were also making it as difficult as possible for people to help you by not having the courtesy to clearly state your original problem, despite being asked about it several times.

So please, could you clearly state which of these is the original problem.

Is it : 2 sin(theta) + sin(cos(theta)) = 0

Or is it : 2 sin(theta) + sin(theta) cos(theta) = 0

Here is a Cos graph from a test

http://i53.tinypic.com/swtikn.jpg

I understand how to get the vertical translation, by doing max-min/2 and getting the amplitude. How do you get the other translations by looking at the graph?

Nelo said:

I understand how to get the vertical translation, by doing max-min/2 and getting the amplitude. How do you get the other translations by looking at the graph?
This is a different problem than stated in the OP. Please start a new thread next time.

Are you supposed to use cos x as the basic graph?
Using the general form y = a cos (b(x - h)) + k, you find b by using
[itex]period = \frac{2\pi}{|b|}[/itex],
which it looks like you wrote (in red ink).

In the basic graph of y = cos x, there is a maximum point at (0, 1). In the transformed graph, there is a maximum point at (0, 2). So there is no horizontal translation (the h). You can also see that since the graph "centers" around the x-axis, there is no vertical translation either (the k). So the answer is what you wrote (in red ink):
[itex]y = 2\cos \left( \frac{x}{4} \right)[/itex]

Nelo said:

I wonder if you noticed that the question asked you to state the transformations, not the translations.

Your equation was correctly derived, the transformations were:

The Amplitude had been doubled - increased by a factor of 2 [from 1 to 2]
The Period had be increased by a factor of 4 [from 2pi to 8pi]

The graph had no obvious translations

PeterO said:
I wonder if you noticed that the question asked you to state the transformations, not the translations.
I don't know about you, I consider a translation (shift) as a type of transformation. To me, transformations can be:
* stretches/shrinks
* reflections
* translations (shifts)

eumyang said:
I don't know about you, I consider a translation (shift) as a type of transformation. To me, transformations can be:
* stretches/shrinks
* reflections
* translations (shifts)

Translations may be transformations, but not all transformations are translations.

When Nero said "I know how to get the vertical translation from max-min / 2" he was clearly referring to a dilation , not a translation, though had used the term translation; incorrectly.

PeterO said:
Translations may be transformations, but not all transformations are translations.

When Nero said "I know how to get the vertical translation from max-min / 2" he was clearly referring to a dilation , not a translation, though had used the term translation; incorrectly.
I'm not disputing that. What I tried to say earlier was that when you said this:
PeterO said:
... it sounded like to me that you thought that transformations and translations were different things. I can now see that you didn't think that way.

It also sounded like that there cannot be any translations involved in this problem. That's not entirely true: we all know that if we make the basic graph y = sin x instead of y = cos x, then yes, there would be a horizontal translation.

1. How do you solve equations with 2 variables?

To solve equations with 2 variables, you need to find a value for each variable that makes the equation true. This can be done by using algebraic techniques such as substitution or elimination, or by graphing the equation and finding the point of intersection.

2. What is the range of values for theta in equations with 2 variables?

The range of values for theta in equations with 2 variables is 0 to 2π, or 0 to 360 degrees. This represents a full circle in trigonometry, as theta is typically used to represent angles.

3. Can you provide an example of an equation with 2 variables?

One example of an equation with 2 variables is y = 2x + 5. In this equation, both x and y are variables, and their values can change depending on the value of the other variable. This equation can be solved by plugging in a value for x and solving for y, or vice versa.

4. How can equations with 2 variables be used in real-life situations?

Equations with 2 variables can be used to represent various relationships in real-life situations. For example, they can be used to calculate the cost of a product based on the number of items purchased, or to determine the distance traveled by a car based on its speed and time.

5. Are there any tips for solving equations with 2 variables?

Some tips for solving equations with 2 variables include identifying which method of solving (substitution or elimination) would be most efficient, carefully keeping track of your steps and variables, and checking your solution by plugging it back into the original equation to ensure it is correct.