Where Can I Find Affordable Equipment for My Piezoelectric Experiment?

In summary, affordable equipment for piezoelectric experiments can be found at various online retailers, such as Amazon, eBay, and Alibaba. Additionally, local hardware stores and specialty scientific stores may offer discounted prices on equipment. It is also possible to rent equipment from universities or research facilities. Conducting thorough research and comparing prices from different sources can help in finding the most affordable equipment for your piezoelectric experiment.
themadquark
I am currently planning a Piezoelectric "experiment" and need to finish it in 22 days. I have no problem obtaining a clamp and synthesising rochelle salt. However, I need two things. One is something which I could use to measure the force applied to the crystal when tapped and two a cheap oscilloscope for under 100 USD that is sensitive enough to measure the piezo crystal output. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Don't know if there's anything that http://www.omega.com/ has that will help you, but they may give some ideas.

e.g. this from their http://www.omega.com/literature/transactions/volume3/force.html tutorial.

forcefig05.gif

1. What is the purpose of a piezoelectric experiment?

Piezoelectric experiments are used to study the behavior and characteristics of materials that exhibit the piezoelectric effect. This effect refers to the ability of certain materials to generate electric charge in response to mechanical stress, or vice versa. The purpose of these experiments is to understand and utilize this phenomenon for various applications, such as sensors, actuators, and energy harvesting devices.

2. How do you perform a piezoelectric experiment?

To perform a piezoelectric experiment, a sample of the material exhibiting piezoelectricity is first prepared. This can involve cutting the material into a specific shape or size, or applying a thin layer of electrodes to the surface. The sample is then connected to a source of mechanical stress, such as a force or pressure, and a measuring device to record the resulting electrical charge. The experiment can be repeated with varying levels of stress to observe the material's response.

3. What types of materials can be used in a piezoelectric experiment?

Materials that possess a crystal lattice structure and lack a center of symmetry can exhibit the piezoelectric effect. This includes crystals such as quartz, ceramics like lead zirconate titanate (PZT), and certain polymers like polyvinylidene fluoride (PVDF). These materials are commonly used in piezoelectric experiments due to their strong piezoelectric properties.

4. What are the applications of piezoelectric experiments?

Piezoelectric experiments have a wide range of applications, including in the fields of engineering, medicine, and energy harvesting. They are used to develop sensors for measuring pressure, force, and acceleration, as well as actuators for precise movement and control. In medicine, piezoelectric materials are used in ultrasound imaging and therapeutic devices. They are also being explored for energy harvesting from mechanical motion, such as in shoes or other wearable devices.

5. What are the limitations of piezoelectric experiments?

Piezoelectric experiments have some limitations, including the fact that the materials used can be expensive and difficult to work with. The experiments also require specialized equipment, such as force sensors and measuring devices, which may not be easily accessible. Additionally, the piezoelectric effect is not a perfect conversion of mechanical energy to electrical energy and can produce small amounts of heat and energy loss. Therefore, careful calibration and understanding of the material's properties are necessary for accurate results.