Concussive effects of asteroid impact on marine life

In summary: According to this article, the waves that would be generated by an impact in water are much higher than those in land. The water also dissipates the sound waves more than land does, so the impact would be much less audible.
B. Elliott
I was doing some reading on the effects of air blasts from asteroid impacts when I realized that I've never seen any data of the potential effect on marine life. Since sound travels farther and faster in a liquid, wouldn't an asteroid impact in a large ocean (liquid) have a more profound concussive effect than it's gas counterpart?

I've been searching for the past couple of hours to no avail. The terms I'm using seem to be too generic and all I keep running across are the gas effects.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Referring more to larger scale impacts such as the Chicxulub and Wilkes Land crater in Antarctica. Asteroids approximately 5mi in diameter and up.

So far I've found a few semi-related sources, but still nothing that deals directly with the acoustics. I've found numerous papers on impacts in shallow marine bodies, but each paper states that the effect is still treated as a typical land impact. The latest sources I've been able to find are no later than 2002 which is now six years old.

Closest related sources yet...

Ormo, J., Miyamoto, H., Computer modelling of the water resurge at a marine impact: the Lockne crater, Sweden, Deep Sea Research II, v.49, p.983-994. 2002.

Large waves caused by oceanic impacts of meteorites
http://www.springerlink.com/content/hk743j629818n31q/

Even the University of Arizona's impact simulator writeup (2005) states that they did not spend a great deal of time incorporating marine impact effects due to the complexity of the calculations. The sources they stated for reference with marine impacts only deals directly with the cratering it's self where one ref. actually goes out on a limb and calculates the possible wave/tsunamis that could be generated. Again, no acoustics while the land-impacts receive quite a bit of treatment...

"Effect of a Water Layer" p.831-832
http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/~marcus/CollinsEtAl2005.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a concussive effect?

A concussive effect is a physical injury or damage caused by a sudden, violent impact or shockwave. In the context of an asteroid impact on marine life, it refers to the damage caused by the shockwave and resulting tsunami.

How do asteroids impact marine life?

Asteroids can impact marine life in several ways. The initial impact can cause a tsunami that can damage or destroy marine habitats and organisms. The shockwave from the impact can also cause direct physical damage to marine animals, such as ruptured swim bladders or internal injuries. Additionally, the debris and dust from the impact can block sunlight, affecting photosynthesis and disrupting the marine food chain.

What are the potential long-term effects of an asteroid impact on marine life?

The long-term effects of an asteroid impact on marine life can include changes in ocean chemistry, temperature, and circulation. These changes can have a significant impact on marine ecosystems, potentially leading to extinctions and shifts in species distribution. The loss of certain species can also have cascading effects on the entire marine food web.

How can we study the concussive effects of asteroid impacts on marine life?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study the concussive effects of asteroid impacts on marine life. This can include computer simulations, experiments in controlled environments, and studying the geological record of past impact events. Researchers also study the physical and biological effects of smaller impact events, such as meteorite impacts, to gain insight into the potential effects of larger asteroid impacts.

What can we do to mitigate the concussive effects of an asteroid impact on marine life?

There are several strategies that can be used to mitigate the concussive effects of an asteroid impact on marine life. These include early detection and warning systems, reinforcing coastal infrastructure, and developing plans for rapid response and recovery. Additionally, efforts to reduce the global impact of climate change can also help protect marine ecosystems and make them more resilient to the effects of asteroid impacts.