Double slit questions from an observation perspective

In summary, the conversation discusses observing an experiment from the perspective of a projection screen, specifically looking at a double slit experiment. It raises questions about whether the source of light can be seen from different positions on the screen, and whether the two slits can be seen as separate or not. The resolution of the eye and its effect on the observation is also mentioned.
GOD__AM
Some questions have been haunting me about this experiment for some time. I'm mainly interested in what we observe from the perspective of the projection screen.

First let's imagine that there is only one slit, and we are observing from the projection screen looking back at the slit with the laser behind it. We would have a direct view of the light source through the slit. It may be more effective to imagine "us" as a tiny camera to help with the scale of the small projection.

Now observing from the same spot we change to the double slit. Now we don't have a direct view of the source light, or maybe we have a view of the left and right side of the source with the middle of the two slits blocking part of our view in which case we still see the source in part.

Now if we move to the right or left into one of the dark areas on the projection screen I assume we don't see the source at all, and we don't see any light coming from the slits. Is this correct?

Next we move farther to the right or left into then next lit area of the projection screen. What do we see now? We should see light coming from somewhere, presumably from the slits, but can we see the source?

What if we move to the right or left extreme to the last light band on the projection screen, where do we see the light coming from and do we see the source of the light?

It seems to me that observing from any lighted area on the projection screen should give us a clear view of the source, however unlikely that sounds, unless the light is reflecting off the side of the slits. Even then we should see the source in the reflection I would think.

Sorry, I wasn't sure which section this question belongs in.

Physics news on Phys.org
GOD__AM said:
We would have a direct view of the light source through the slit. It may be more effective to imagine "us" as a tiny camera to help with the scale of the small projection.
Effectively the slit is the source. It is diffraction limited, so you won't be able to see anything beyond.

Okay, so then moving to either side through light and dark areas looking back at the slit we see it as lit or not depending on our position in the projection screen?

Can we see the space between the slits or does it just appear as one slit?

That is a good question. I don't know.

GOD__AM said:
Some questions have been haunting me about this experiment for some time. I'm mainly interested in what we observe from the perspective of the projection screen.

First let's imagine that there is only one slit, and we are observing from the projection screen looking back at the slit with the laser behind it. We would have a direct view of the light source through the slit. It may be more effective to imagine "us" as a tiny camera to help with the scale of the small projection.

Now observing from the same spot we change to the double slit. Now we don't have a direct view of the source light, or maybe we have a view of the left and right side of the source with the middle of the two slits blocking part of our view in which case we still see the source in part.

Now if we move to the right or left into one of the dark areas on the projection screen I assume we don't see the source at all, and we don't see any light coming from the slits. Is this correct?

Next we move farther to the right or left into then next lit area of the projection screen. What do we see now? We should see light coming from somewhere, presumably from the slits, but can we see the source?

What if we move to the right or left extreme to the last light band on the projection screen, where do we see the light coming from and do we see the source of the light?

It seems to me that observing from any lighted area on the projection screen should give us a clear view of the source, however unlikely that sounds, unless the light is reflecting off the side of the slits. Even then we should see the source in the reflection I would think.

Sorry, I wasn't sure which section this question belongs in.

This is the nub of the question. If the two slits are narrow enough then you will see light through both of them because you will be in the broad diffraction pattern of each of them (they can be regarded, effectively, as point sources). There is nothing more 'special' or "direct" about light from one than from the other and the amplitudes will be more or less the same. Assuming you are within the broad maximum of both slots then you will see the fine structured fringes with deep nulls (as you move your head from side to side). The simplest analysis assumes you are far enough away for the two 'beams' to be parallel (Fraunhoffer - far field) so the diffraction minima for each slit will coincide. In the near field, they will not coincide so the two-slit pattern will not have very deep nulls in it because the two cancelling phasors will not be of equal magnitude. But this is just a nicety and you should 'get' the far field situation first, if you want to grasp just what is going on here.

OH yes - and whether you 'see' the two slots as separate or not, if you stand where the screen is, will depend upon the resolution of your eye - you may see two slots, one (blurred) slot or even nothing (using just one eye), if you are standing in a null direction.
There is a further question, which would be sure to arise from this conversation and that is - what would you see, if the light level were so low that you could identify just one photon at a time? Would you see one slot or both slots when a photon goes through? :devil:

Last edited:

1. What is the double-slit experiment?

The double-slit experiment is a classic experiment in physics that involves passing a beam of particles or light through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen. This experiment has been used to study the wave-particle duality of quantum particles and the nature of light.

2. How does the double-slit experiment demonstrate wave-particle duality?

The double-slit experiment shows that particles, such as electrons, can behave like waves and exhibit interference patterns, similar to how waves interact with each other. This suggests that particles have both particle-like and wave-like properties, which is known as wave-particle duality.

3. What is the role of observation in the double-slit experiment?

The double-slit experiment illustrates the concept that the act of observation can affect the behavior of quantum particles. When particles are observed, they behave like particles and create a pattern on the screen. However, when they are not observed, they exhibit wave-like behavior and create an interference pattern.

4. Can the results of the double-slit experiment be explained by classical physics?

No, the results of the double-slit experiment cannot be explained by classical physics. Classical physics assumes that particles have definite positions and behaviors, whereas the double-slit experiment shows that particles can have wave-like properties and behave unpredictably.

5. How does the observer in the double-slit experiment influence the outcome?

The observer in the double-slit experiment plays a crucial role in determining the outcome. The act of observation collapses the wave function of the particles, causing them to behave like particles and create a pattern on the screen. Without the observer, the particles would behave like waves and create an interference pattern.